What's new

Old Fashioneds? Asking all Don Draper wannabes.

If I make mine with bourbon, it's usually Maker's. But...I much prefer rye in my Old Fashioneds and Manhattans - most recently have been using Knob Creek 100. Just finished a bottle of Rittenhouse 100 and I like the KC just as much. I keep a squeeze bottle of simple syrup in the bar fridge, so I do about 3 ice cubes, a short splash of simple syrup, 3-4 shakes of bitters (I've experimented with the Woodford cherry and Fee Bros Orange but still prefer Angostura) and I give that a good stirring to mix the syrup and bitters, then I add more ice and my rye. Give that a quick stir just to take the edge off of the rye bite, garnish with a GOOD cherry (not the bright red ones, something like a Woodford or Luxardo) and enjoy. As with most of the good things in life, simple is better.

Whatever whiskey is laying around, i usually drink rye so it's normally always rye.
Either a tiny bit of raw sugar or tiny splash of simple syrup.
A few dashes of bitters

I add a heap of ice cubes and stir it till it's cold enough, maybe a minute. Definitely no more than a minute i don't like it too diluted.
Strain into a fresh glass and drink.

I have a question for the folks who make their OFs with no mixer like club soda or 50/50. What size glass do you use? I usually use a double, but that's because I top it off with something... Seems like a single OF glass would be better. Or do you fill a double up about half way? Filling a double OF glass to the top with straight booze seems like it would make one hell of a strong drink.

I just use a double, why does the glass need to be full? I usually just make it with two shots of rye, splashes of bitters and a tiny bit of sugar. Doesn't quite reach halfway on the glass i use, but i don't keep any ice in the glass either.

I just use a double, why does the glass need to be full? I usually just make it with two shots of rye, splashes of bitters and a tiny bit of sugar. Doesn't quite reach halfway on the glass i use, but i don't keep any ice in the glass either.
I didn't say it needed to be full, but I was just curious because not many of the recipes were specifying the amount if whiskey used. I have a couple single OF glasses, but they are harder to find.

Top Bottom