What's new

New to the board and 2 months in.

Today I reached the 2 month mark of DE shaving, and it has been a blast. First, let me share my story. My dad has a light beard and while I remember him having a DE razor, he has mainly used electric. My beard was just way too heavy for that. He had no idea how to teach me how to shave with a razor, (not his fault, he didn’t really know how either) so in high school, I grabbed a Trac II and did what they do on commercials, looong strokes ATG. I spent 20 years with lots of blood and pain, esp my lower neck. LOTS of ingrown hairs.

Around 2000 I rec’d a professional shave, and the barber taught me about short strokes WTG and XTG. It changed my life! No more bleeding and lots less pain, much fewer ingrown hairs, but still the on-going razor burn on the lower neck. It made me hate those days I had to wear a tie, and those were often. I also bought a Simpson brush that day, though I really didn’t use it.

A few months back, I got really tired of spending so much money on Fusion carts. I went to google, found this site, and started reading. I wanted to be very frugal, especially as I tested the waters. I pulled out my brush, bought some VDH soap at Walgreens, bought a 1955 super speed on ebay, got a blade sample pack, and started following instructions I read here.

It’s been amazing! In 2 months, I have not had one nick, have never used my styptic pencil, only rarely an ingrown hair, no razor burn at all! And shaves just as smooth or smoother than with the carts. My wife even mentioned how I used to hate shaving, but now I get up early to take more time enjoying it. I will never go back to carts again.

Interestingly, I shared this with my dad and father-in-law, neither of whom can find their old DE razors, and they couldn’t believe I enjoyed it. They both use electrics and hated using DE razors because they always got cut. I think they really just were never taught how to use them.

Anyway, thanks to all of you on this site for the advice and lessons you gave that I was able to put in practice. I’m in hook, line and sinker! My son is 15 and I can’t wait to teach him what I’ve learned from you guys about DE shaving!

Congratulations on finding your shaving nirvana. I used a DE razor as a teenager and hated it. I never new anything about pre-shave prep. Good pre-shave prep turns the mundane into a glories event.

Hello and welcome to B&B, Auparson. Great to have you on board. This is a super forum filled with friendly, helpful shavers. I have a 17 year old son and I an also starting him out as a DE shaver. He loves it.

Thanks for sharing your self taught shave story, and dont forget to have your son sign up for Badger and Blade too.

Welcome to B&B and thanks for sharing! My dad looked at me cross-eyed too the first time I came to visit him and left the razor out in the bathroom. He has a full beard and uses an electric to keep it trimmed.

Top Bottom