What's new

Stepping up the hardware!

I started the whole DE shaving for the cost efficiency mainly. Secondly, love the history behind this type of shaving. I could not stand to be gouged any longer by the cost of the carts and the gels.

So my start up kit consist of:

2.38 - Rossi DE (Amazon)
4.99 - Synthetic brush (local phamacy)
.98 - Williams Mug shave soap (local phamacy)
1.28 - 5 pack of Wilkinsons Swords (local food store chain)
free - bowl from the wife's stash
8-10 - the wife orders some Mary Kay aftershave gel
TOTAL > 20 BUCKS ( I would have spent that or more on a set of carts that lasted barely a couple of months... but I'm not telling you anything you guys dont already know)

Well for fathers day... the kiddos (aka, the wife) gave me a Edwin Jagger DB89L. Wow!!!:w00t: This thing a piece of hardware compared to the Rossi. However, my technique has become better over the past 6mths and I have been getting good shaves w/ the Rossi. I have not had the chance to use the EJ yet. I more that likely will in the morning give it a go for the 1st time. I expect I will not be disappointed.

Now, maybe in another 6 months I will get a decent badger brush. Yes, I'm a tight-wad.

Nice razor! If you're looking to upgrade your brush without breaking the bank, there are some excellent and inexpensive boars out there that I'm sure would blow your current model out of the rotation. But it's a slippery slope from upgrade to AD.

The edwin jagger is a wonderful razor. I'm sure you'll like it.
You could get an excellent omega boar brush for 10-12$. (Pro 49, pro 49 etc)

Let us know how your shave goes. The EJ may be heavier than your previous razor so keep that in mind and apply zero pressure!

Welcome to B&B!

+1 on the boat brushes! Semogue has some on Amazon that are as little as $15 shipped and they are great brushes IMO that are hard to beat...even by some very more expensive brushes....

Check out the 1460, 1470, 1520, and the 1800 just to name a few

I have the 1800 and it just may be my favorite brush!

And congrats on the EJ! I love mine!

Congrats on the gift. That's a nice upgrade. I believe you get the prize for lowest entry level expenses I have ever heard of.

Well the EJ has lived up to the reputation that preceeded it before I aquired this hierloom. Yes I can see it being around a long time.

We (the EJ & I ) had our 1st dance this morning. It was as gracefull as I could have hoped it to be. So, I always do the after shower shave. Warm water and the steam always puts my facial hair in the ideal pre-shave condition. No oils need apply. Before showing I filled my mug with hot water and let my soap & brush soak while I was in the shower. (Williams Mug Shaving Soap seems to lather faster and thicker with it soaks a bit in the hot water). After showing I give a good 1/2 lathering in the mug and then finish up the a good face lather. Up until this point, my morning shave has been like ever other shave for the past 6/7 months. NOW, instead of reaching for the Rossi, I reach for the new kid loaded with my current favorite Wilkinson Swords. I can now tell you that even though it was NEW to me, it was definitly no kid. I could tell I was holding a piece of hardware of substancial wieght and style that was well qualified for the task at hand. As instructed, I went easy on the pressure because of the heftiness of the EJ. Shaving was awesome, except for on small nick right under my nose (user error). I had a BBS shave with very little effort. Absoulutly no irritations on my trouble spot (right side of my neck). Applied my aftershave and amazingly felt not burn/sting at all. In fact, it felt cool and refreshing. Something that I had not felf before.

I'm very happy with the Edwin Jagger DB89L and foresee many monings together.

SciTX....I dont know if I should thank you or blame you, But I have been looking at those brushes you directed my to. Not trying to fall down the slippery slope everyone speaks of:lol:. However, I dont think it will be as long as it has been to add one of those boar brushes to the rotation:thumbup1:. I just need to do some research on the difference in the style of brush.

Thanks B&B!!

You could get an excellent omega boar brush for 10-12$. (Pro 49, pro 49 etc)

Try a pro 49 out. Or a 10065, or even a 10104 ($6 at shoebox). I'd try to get at least a 23mm, and preferably a 24 mm or bigger. The pro 49 is a fantastic brush that is in my rotation along with a semogue 1305, and 3 badgers. Don't let the price fool you. These boars are fantastic.

SciTX....I dont know if I should thank you or blame you, But I have been looking at those brushes you directed my to.
Thanks B&B!!

oh just try one....you'll thank me for sure!

Top Bottom