What's new

Vostok russian watch opinions?

Hello gents. So I know that these watches have a somewhat cult like following in small circles, but I was wondering if anyone had any opinions of the vostok Russian dive watches. I was thinking about getting the amphibian, but am still on the fence. Please sway me one way or the other!

I bought mine a year ago, blue scuba dude from Meranom. It has hardly left my wrist since! I absolutely love it.

I was recently in the market for a new watch and the Vostoks were VERY tempting. I really dig the look of several models and the idea of wearing a Russian watch with a little history. I bet it would be a cool conversation starter. Ultimately, I decided what I wanted most in a watch was reliable accuracy. The self-winders, in any make or model are going to need the time adjusted regularly so I ended up getting a very affordable, stainless steel Casio dive watch which requires a battery.

Casio

MDV106-1A

proxy.php

I have a couple Komandirskies and an Amphibia. I love vostoks and think the amphibia in particular is a wonderful watch, heres why.
The gasket and plates on the amphibia diver seal more as pressure increases- it isn't a simple O-ring on the base of a component that screws on- this is a clever and cheap and (I think) better way to make a water resistant watch.

Additionally The watch features In-house produced movement, meaning the factory where the watch is made is also where the movement system is made, this is a rarer and rarer thing these days especially in a sub $100 watch. The 'Crystal' is actually acryllic- this is done so that you can buff out any scratches (a common military watch feature) Amphibias in particular have lots of available replacement components as well.

The only bad part it comes with is the band- I toss them and get Nato bands, There are a few sellers on the bay but I prefer a guy named zenitar due to his good repute in the watch community. http://stores.ebay.com/zenitar-store

I have a couple Komandirskies and an Amphibia. I love vostoks and think the amphibia in particular is a wonderful watch, heres why.
The gasket and plates on the amphibia diver seal more as pressure increases- it isn't a simple O-ring on the base of a component that screws on- this is a clever and cheap and (I think) better way to make a water resistant watch.

Additionally The watch features In-house produced movement, meaning the factory where the watch is made is also where the movement system is made, this is a rarer and rarer thing these days especially in a sub $100 watch. The 'Crystal' is actually acryllic- this is done so that you can buff out any scratches (a common military watch feature) Amphibias in particular have lots of available replacement components as well.

The only bad part it comes with is the band- I toss them and get Nato bands, There are a few sellers on the bay but I prefer a guy named zenitar due to his good repute in the watch community. http://stores.ebay.com/zenitar-store

I never even put the stock band on my wrist when I got mine!
I had a nato on for a few months, then got a shark mesh.

I love the art work on these Russian beauties...

Attachments

• $russ2.jpg
    $russ2.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 246
  • $russ3.jpg
    $russ3.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 246
  • $russ7.jpg
    $russ7.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 245
  • $russ6.jpg
    $russ6.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 245
  • $russian.jpg
    $russian.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 246
Great pics guys, well, except for the foggy glass. Is that a regular issue with these watches?

I have a black scuba dude and I like it. One of the neat features that you will see is the back of the case has the word Amphibia (in Russian of course) nicely etched into it. Nice touch for a $60 watch.

Taproot mentioned the waterproofing technology. There is a video on Youtube where a watch expert explains it. I don't know enough about watches to evaluate what he says but it seems like a rugged and smart design. The basic idea was that the waterproofing improves as the water pressure increases. If you never go diving or swimming with it that won't make much of a difference.

Bought mine from Zenitar on eBay and that was a wrinkle-free experience.

In researching them, one negative came up. It is that the metal straps are crap. I ordered one with a black rubber strap which I have changed to a black nylon strap. It looks good and you can pick up a nylon strap cheap or just use the rubber strap.

It is one of four watches I own. I know that some people say that the accuracy isn't great, and maybe I was just lucky, but when I wear it, it runs about 15 seconds fast per day. That isn't bad for a $60 self winding watch! I have a 40 year old Omega self winding watch that runs about 7 or 8 seconds fast per day to give you some perspective.

Overall, it is fun and rugged and a good time keeper. I'd say grab one!

I'm always tempted, but so far I haven't pulled the trigger. My current everyday dive watch is a black Seiko Monster, which is a truly great watch. Better than my Rolex Submariner, which I stopped wearing because it is collectible and just worth too damned much these days to walk around with.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The self-winders, in any make or model are going to need the time adjusted regularly so I ended up getting a very affordable, stainless steel Casio dive watch which requires a battery.

I have had my Seiko 5 for three months- the only adjustment I have done was the date transition in April (only 30 days). The time still matches my cell phone to the minute (I haven't downloaded a seconds clock app)

That is a gorgeous watch. What do they go for?

I don't remember... I haven't seen that exact model for a long time. However, there's a review of this watch on some guy's personal blog and it looks like he got it for around $300? http://anton-c.blogspot.com/2008/09/bang-for-buck-pilot-chronograph.html

Danger Will Robinson!

I've only just weaned myself off of Watchuseek. If anyone is really looking to destroy their wallet, have fun as you've been warned :)

TRUTH!!! That place is dangerous.

I think the band is a Liberty? Or at least that is what the watchuseek thread seems to imply. http://www.hirschstraps.com/products/hirsch-liberty-leather-watch-strap-gold-brown

Last edited:
Interesting comments all around. I spent some time on zenitar today, and man, do I have some deciding to do.

By the way, that poljot is awesome.

Mines a Classic Model 710007 and I haven't had one problem with water. I don't dive but I enjoy snorkeling, water skiing, swimming, and most other water activities. Even fell in the lake a couple times last duck season with it on my wrist. Got mine from ChistopolCity.com and it took about 4 weeks to a get here.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I bought this black Amphibia 2 years ago and love it. Like others in the thread mention, the band is crap but replace it with a NATO band and they look awesome. A few sites online where you can get them for around $60. Avoid the 'bay though, I've seen my watch BUY IT NOW way over the price for a new one so be careful. Otherwise, nothing but positive things with a watch this inexpensive. It's about the only one I wear any more

$russian-military-vostok-komandirskie-tank-watch-211306.jpg

Top Bottom