What's new

Vostok russian watch opinions?

Do any or all of Vostoks have stainless steel cases? I'm not talking about just the back of the watch, I mean the entire case.

Do any or all of Vostoks have stainless steel cases? I'm not talking about just the back of the watch, I mean the entire case.

I believe the whole case is stainless, but the bezel is chrome plated brass. That and the acrylic is the only thing holding me back at the moment. Right now it's a toss up between the vostok and the Seiko 5 sport diver.

I must also admit that I have been staring at the invicta 8926 as well. If I read correctly, it has the same movement as the Seiko 5.

Re: stainless steel

When looking at the Amphibia watch specifications on ChristopolCity.com, the only mentions I saw were for stainless steel bracelets and stainless steel rear caps. That would lead me to believe that the case is not stainless steel. I pretty much have to get a stainless steel case because if the finish on a brass case gets scratched or worn, my skin has a bad reaction to the brass.

So this thread inspired me to pull the trigger on this funky '70s Vostok I've had my eye on. However the cost wasn't holding me back, it was the dealing with a seller in the Ukraine at this point in time. Anyone have any recent experiences? They have great reviews but it's a mess over there unfortunately. Anyway, sweet watch that'll look great with a NATO band:

$il_570xN.557455941_9i2n.jpg

$wruw scuba.jpg

I have three modern and one vintage. My only complaint is that the folded metal band which comes with some amphibians is not very good and essentially impossible to resize. As you can see, however, an appropriate NATO band makes this problem go away very cheaply.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
So this thread inspired me to pull the trigger on this funky '70s Vostok I've had my eye on. However the cost wasn't holding me back, it was the dealing with a seller in the Ukraine at this point in time. Anyone have any recent experiences? They have great reviews but it's a mess over there unfortunately. Anyway, sweet watch that'll look great with a NATO band:

View attachment 464945

I'd get that just for the CCCP on the dial. I am not a fan of the USSR, but it is a piece of history.

Are these for sale somewhere by chance?
....They have been on the Bay recently....You have to check several times per week,the more "lively" ones go quick.

Attachments

• $russ4.jpg
    $russ4.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 107
  • $russ5.jpg
    $russ5.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 107
  • $russ8.jpg
    $russ8.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 106
  • $russ11.jpg
    $russ11.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 108
  • $russ12.jpg
    $russ12.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 107
What a treat !!,,,,,I suspect guys will buy these just for the dial face to insert into a new Vostok 31 jewel model...

Attachments

• $russ13.jpg
    $russ13.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 108
  • $russ15.jpg
    $russ15.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 106
  • $russ18.jpg
    $russ18.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 106
  • $russ17.jpg
    $russ17.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 106
  • $russ16.jpg
    $russ16.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 104
Great pics guys, well, except for the foggy glass. Is that a regular issue with these watches?

A little late to the party here but the watch posted with the foggy glass was manufactured when there was still a Soviet Union. The rubber seals have probably dry rotted to the point of ineffectiveness.

I have a pretty decent little Vostok collection consisting of vintage and new pieces (just a few pictured below) and I have no qualms with submerging new production watchs. One of my favorites is a new production black-faced "scuba dood" that has been on more than a few aquatic adventures. Meranom.com is also a great place to buy new production Vostoks.

Scuba Dude by cxg231, on Flickr

SovietVostok by cxg231, on Flickr

Tank by cxg231, on Flickr

Anyone ever had a vintage dial face put into a modern watch ? I love those old commemorative faces....

Attachments

• $russ20.jpg
    $russ20.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 98
  • $russ22.jpg
    $russ22.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 100
  • $russ25.jpg
    $russ25.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 100
  • $russ27.jpg
    $russ27.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 100
  • $russ21.jpg
    $russ21.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 99
A few more gems....First time seeing this great "Cuban Missile Crisis" face....a really nice piece..

Attachments

• $russ36.jpg
    $russ36.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 74
  • $russ19.jpg
    $russ19.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 74
  • $russ32.jpg
    $russ32.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 74
  • $russ33.jpg
    $russ33.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 74
  • $russ30.jpg
    $russ30.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 74
I love my Vostok, newer production. The bands are garbage, probably the worst band I've ever had on a watch. I replace the band with a Nato strap and it looks great, I'll be wearing it this weekend because the watch and strap are red, white, and blue. Just remember, you're buying a new production automatic for $60, don't expect Rolex quality.

I purchased a Vostok a few years ago. Really cool look, but it only ran for about 3 months then stopped dead. Not worth taking to a repair shop, unfortunately.

Top Bottom