What's new

YOUR thoughts on the new Standard Razor. . .

Hi Gents: I hope all is well with you and your families. I wanted to know your thoughts on the new "Standard Razor" that is being sold at "RazorBladesandMore". I have been intrigued with this DE razor but haven't pulled the trigger yet, because of it's very light weight design and also I have not seen any reviews here.

I like the look of the razor. It looks very clean and classic. It looks well made. However, I hope someone can chime in and give us your thoughts of this razor. How does it compare to other DE razors such as the Weber, 37c, iKon slants, CC, FB, Slim, Progress, and others. Does the light-weight affect the shave?

Thanks in advance. I look forward to hearing from you. Do you like it? Is it worth it getting?

http://www.razorbladesandmore.com/catalog/matador-razors/jet-gray-standard-razor

WARHAWK

First off .. not made by the Matador folks.

http://standardrazors.com

I have one in black.
Very comfortable shave.
Light weight is not an issue.
Great ergonomics.
Just about as aggressive as a Weber.
Used it yesterday morning.
Great shave .. clean, comfortable .. no nicks, cuts, weepers.
I will keep mine .. love it.

First, it is not a "Standard Razor": it is a Standard Razors razor: the full brand name is "Standard Razors," with the final s.

Second, not to tread on razorbbladesandmore.com, but the price direct from Standard Razors is better. (And, for a limited time, with free shipping.) http://standardrazors.com/

Third, I have had one in the household for two months, and, because I shave every day, I have dozens of shaves on mine. What do you want to know about it?

Last edited by a moderator:
First, it is not a "Standard Razor": it is a Standard Razors razor: the full brand name is "Standard Razors," with the final s.

Second, not to tread on razorbladesandmore.com, but the price direct from Standard Razors is better. (And, for a limited time, with free shipping.) http://standardrazors.com/

Third, I have had one in the household for two months, and, because I shave every day, I have dozens of shaves on mine. What do you want to know about it?

I just wanted to hear more mini-reviews of current owners. How do you like it? What's your favorite blade (s) for it? Does the light weight bother you? How do you compare it to your other razors? Is this razor in your rotation? And other things you or any other current owners would like to share.

WARHAWK

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought one in black about a week and a half ago. So far, I have three shaves under my belt using it. I've been using Gillette Silver Blue blades and TOBS Eton College for the first shave, Synergy Chocolate Bourbon for the second, and Synergy "The Beach" for the third.

(sorry for the poor quality pictures)
$photo%u002525203.JPG

The razor is well made, with a good, even black matte finish throughout. The finish has a nice grip to it, and hasn't yet felt like it would slip out of my hands. The finish is slightly rougher in texture than the matte finish on a Merkur Futur. The post is at the end of the handle, rather than on the top cap. The razor is very light, especially for its size. That may be a strike against it for some people, but it doesn't seem to bother me. I've been a fan of the Lord Tech for a while now, and that razor seems to weigh next to nothing, so the weight on this one wasn't a problem. The post is on the handle, rather than the top cap, so if you're hoping to use just the head and replace the handle, it's going to be a no go.

$photo%u002525204.JPG

Size-wise, it's a fairly long handled razor, though not quite as long as a Futur (I'm using the Futur only as a comparison because it's been one of the razors I've been shaving with a bunch lately). The shave is fairly mild, probably a hair more aggressive than a Gillette Super Speed, which I like. I've been scaling back on my aggressive razors and shifting more towards milder razors with Feather or GSB bades. Oddly enough, I've been having the same problem with this razor that I've had using my black Goodfella razor: the head does not seem to glide as smoothly across the face as other razors do. This has only happened with the Standard Razor and the Goodfella, both black. Take from that whatever you wish.

Still, I get fairly good shaves with it so far. It's comfortable in the hand, a good size, and hits a nice balance between aggressiveness and mildness. It'll take a few more shaves to find this razors sweet spot, but I'm happy with it so far. I may have to use a slicker shaving cream or soap to overcome that slight drag on the head, or maybe it's angle dependent. I'll be playing around with it until I figure it out.

$photo%u002525201.JPG

The post is on the handle, rather than the top cap, so if you're hoping to use just the head and replace the handle, it's going to be a no go.

Having the threaded post on the handle means I wouldn't be able to use the handle with other heads either, which I find kind of annoying. I really like swapping around my handles and heads and using all different varieties of combos.

I bought one in black about a week and a half ago. So far, I have three shaves under my belt using it. I've been using Gillette Silver Blue blades and TOBS Eton College for the first shave, Synergy Chocolate Bourbon for the second, and Synergy "The Beach" for the third.

(sorry for the poor quality pictures)
View attachment 463904

The razor is well made, with a good, even black matte finish throughout. The finish has a nice grip to it, and hasn't yet felt like it would slip out of my hands. The finish is slightly rougher in texture than the matte finish on a Merkur Futur. The post is at the end of the handle, rather than on the top cap. The razor is very light, especially for its size. That may be a strike against it for some people, but it doesn't seem to bother me. I've been a fan of the Lord Tech for a while now, and that razor seems to weigh next to nothing, so the weight on this one wasn't a problem. The post is on the handle, rather than the top cap, so if you're hoping to use just the head and replace the handle, it's going to be a no go.

View attachment 463908

Size-wise, it's a fairly long handled razor, though not quite as long as a Futur (I'm using the Futur only as a comparison because it's been one of the razors I've been shaving with a bunch lately). The shave is fairly mild, probably a hair more aggressive than a Gillette Super Speed, which I like. I've been scaling back on my aggressive razors and shifting more towards milder razors with Feather or GSB bades. Oddly enough, I've been having the same problem with this razor that I've had using my black Goodfella razor: the head does not seem to glide as smoothly across the face as other razors do. This has only happened with the Standard Razor and the Goodfella, both black. Take from that whatever you wish.

Still, I get fairly good shaves with it so far. It's comfortable in the hand, a good size, and hits a nice balance between aggressiveness and mildness. It'll take a few more shaves to find this razors sweet spot, but I'm happy with it so far. I may have to use a slicker shaving cream or soap to overcome that slight drag on the head, or maybe it's angle dependent. I'll be playing around with it until I figure it out.

View attachment 463911

Hi Corey: Thank you sir for sharing your thoughts. Man... I want one.

WARHAWK

Outstanding razor that is very efficient. Has its own feel, not like a Weber or Merkur or anything really. Handle is tacky when wet or at least not slippery. Have to be careful threading it...easy to cross thread. Light weight is a challenge to get just right but with the correct angle which is easy to find leaves your face smooth and feeling great. It has not been particularly sensitive to blades. I have used 5 or 6 different ones all with equal results. I bought the "raw" color as did not see a $10 difference for black.

I got one on an impulse buy and haven't regretted it yet.
I've run Lab Blue and Med Prep's in it so far, nice close shave, not overly aggressive.
I do wish there was some knurling or something like that on the handle, it's got loose on me once or twice.
Other than that - It's a keeper in my den....

I recently pulled trigger on a Standard. 1st impressions is that this is a beautifully made razor. I love the simple & clean look. It is definitely light and the grip is surpringly not slippery.

I loaded it with a Feather and it gave me a good face & dome shave. Someone from another forum stated that the Standard was better than the Weber. All I gotta say is that this is NOT BETTER than my Webers (DLC, ARC, PH). Will I keep it? Of course.... it is a beautiful razor that I look forward to using.

$IMG_20140626_200216.jpg
$IMG_20140626_200405.jpg
WARHAWK

I recently pulled trigger on a Standard. 1st impressions is that this is a beautifully made razor. I love the simple & clean look. It is definitely light and the grip is surpringly not slippery.

I loaded it with a Feather and it gave me a good face & dome shave. Someone from another forum stated that the Standard was better than the Weber. All I gotta say is that this is NOT BETTER than my Webers (DLC, ARC, PH). Will I keep it? Of course.... it is a beautiful razor that I look forward to using.

WARHAWK

Mel,
The Standard is one handsome razor--how does one choose muted silver or black--both look great. I'm happy it works as it does for you. The simplicity of design and use of aircraft-quality aluminum, a rarity for a DE razor, have to make this a special razor and great addition to your DE lineup. Use it for many years to come, brother.

I have a question: how would you characterize the aggressiveness/mildness of the shave compared with some other razors you've used? I know the Slant, Progress, DE89, and my go-to Techs. You know my penchant for mild razors.

Roger

I posted initial impressions here and in subsequent posts in that thread. I ended up gifting it to a friend, who says it's become his all-time favorite razor.

I just wanted to hear more mini-reviews of current owners. How do you like it? What's your favorite blade (s) for it? Does the light weight bother you? How do you compare it to your other razors? Is this razor in your rotation? And other things you or any other current owners would like to share.

WARHAWK

It is the best DE razor that I have ever used in more than five decades of shaving (since the late 1950s); however, it is the only DE razor that I have used in more than five decades of shaving, and I have been using it for only two months and a fraction, so take my assessment with a grain of salt.:c10:

Since August 7, 1968 (Japan Time), I have been wet shaving with full prep, pretty much daily; but until mid-April of this year, I mostly shaved with cartridges. The latest cartridge razor I have been using, a Schick Hydro, is also the best cartridge razor that I have used, and -- given the prep that I give every shave -- the shaves that I have achieved using the Standard Razors razor have not yet bested, and only occasionally equaled, the shaves that I get every time from the Schick Hydro.

But this spring I set out on a scientific inquiry to see how good a shave I could get from a DE razor, and I entered upon that quest with 46 DE blades so I am still in the early stages of my comparison. And, as I have refined my DE technique, the gap between the average shave with a Schick Hydro and the average shave with the Standard Razors razor has been closing. But -- to date -- I have yet to achieve any shave with the Standard Razors razor that was better than the best shaves that I frequently achieve with the Schick Hydro; but I am yet two months plus into the experiment, and I am not ready to prejudge the ultimate result.

Most of the shaves so far have been with Gillette Silver Blue blades. An Astra SP accompanied the Standard Razors razor when I purchased it, and (given that with my limited experience, I am no expert), the GSBs seemed to have a distinct edge (no pun intended) over the Astra. I also have used made in Russia Wizamet Iridium Super blades (that is, old packaging, not the current production in the blue Polsilver Super Iridium packaging). Within my limited experience, the Iridium Super blades seem to be a better match to the Standard Razors razor than the GSBs do: just as close, fewer weepers.

The weight of the Standard Razors razor seems natural to me, as it is similar to the weight of the Schick Hydro. The handle is shorter than what I have become accustomed to, but that has not seemed a hindrance, or even something that needs my attention when shaving. I have noticed no more tendency for the handle to slip through my fingers than I do with the grooved, shaped rubberized handle of the Schick Hydro.

The biggest difference (so far) that I have noticed between the Schick Hydro and the Standard Razors razor is in shaving my upper lip, and the "Howdy Doody line" part of my chin. Now more conscious than before whether I am shaving with the grain, against the grain, or cross the grain, I realize that over the years I have developed a habit with the cartridge razors of shaving those areas against the grain (that means upward from the mouth on my upper lip) while applying moderate pressure. Using that technique with the Standard Razors DE razor, I learned quickly, will result in blood, so I have had to develop an entirely new technique for those areas.

My original reply continued from there, but when I tried to post it the site's software told me that I had not typed fast enough to post my full reply, so the above will have to suffice.

Last edited:
Posted by Viceguy on 4/26/2014:
[I hope you have no objection to my taking the liberty of posting your informative review under this thead; but it's too good to omit.]

My Standard Razors Raw model arrived today and I had my first shave with it early this evening. It had only been about 20 hours since last night's shave, but I couldn't wait to try it. I loaded a fresh Russian Perma-Sharp and lathered up with Arko soap. Three passes produced an irritation-free BBS.

The Standard requires a shallow angle (handle pointed outwards). With a steep angle (handle pointed downwards), it won't cut at all. It was easy to find and maintain the correct angle. The light weight (47g, by my scale) makes it very maneuverable. But it's also forgiving, because the range of effective cutting angles is quite narrow. Overall, the Standard provides a nice balance of effectiveness and ease of use.

The handle is 3.6 inches (about 90mm) in length, longer than a Bulldog but shorter than a Classic (if you're familiar with those Weber handles). The finish is smooth, but the razor didn't slip even when my hand was wet and soapy. One odd feature of this three-piece razor is that the male end of the screw is on the handle, not the cap. As a result, the Standard can't be used with other handles. (I would have liked to try it with my UFO Kaiser in aircraft aluminum.)

The Standard should travel easily. Its light weight and forgiving design make it a logical choice for first-time DE users. On the other hand, it's priced higher, and shaves more aggressively, than the average entry-level DE razor.

The Standard won't replace my heftier razors with knurled handles, but I do like its effectiveness, maneuverability, and ease of use. I'll continue to shave with it and post any further impressions here.
Last edited by Viseguy; 04-26-2014 at 05:44 PM.

[End of Viceguy's overview]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kudos to Viceguy for such an informative post.

I had a Weber PH, which may shave differently from the DLC, I've never used a DLC, but I found the PH to be a bit harsh for me. However, I'm a Tech guy and readily admit to enjoying mild razors. I've e-mailed The Standard Razors' parent company to find out the razor's blade gap, I've yet to get a response, but I hope it will be forthcoming. I'm not sure if you prefer heavier razors alone or heavier razors that are on the aggressive side. You mentioned that it is a logical choice for first-time DE users, but that it's more aggressive than the average entry-level DE razor.

Did you find the razor is at all harsh or is simply a bit more aggressive than, say, a Gillette Tech (entry level for many, but a staple for me)?

Again, thank you for such an insightful user's overview. Kudos on a well-done editorial.

Last edited:
Having the threaded post on the handle means I wouldn't be able to use the handle with other heads either, which I find kind of annoying. I really like swapping around my handles and heads and using all different varieties of combos.

Actually, you can use other standard handles ... if you are confident enough to proceed. The male screw in the handle is actually a double-ended screw, with two different diameters/pitches at either end. The part of the double-ended screw that is inside the handle, and secured there with some adhesive, has the same diameter and pitch as any Edwin Jagger handle. All you need to do is steel your nerves and break the adhesive bond inside the handle and remove the double-ended screw. Then -- assuming that you have not destroyed the double-ended screw -- you apply the adhesive to the end of the screw that fits into the Standard Razors cap piece: Bob's your uncle.

As you know, the aluminum cap piece was designed so that the steel screw would not wear out the threads in long-term normal use (whether that was accomplished by a hardening treatment or by a steel female sleeve, I do not know). I would not expect that the female receptacle in the handle received such treatment. So if you perform the surgery described in the preceding paragraph, you must be ginger with using the Standard Razors handle with that or any other razor head again; it is made of aluminum, after all.

Top Bottom