What's new

Repair suggestions for Sheaffer Triumph Sentinel?

Here is my new girl, half of a pen/pencil set. She needs a buff.
She won't draw up ink. When I work the plunger I can hear a small short (partial) hiss. Am I doomed to not use her because the repairs are too steep?
Rats. I have no idea how to do jpeg on this computer.
From the info I can find, she is from 1943.
Any help out there?

Until someone more knowledgeable than me arrives (which is everyone), here's my attempt :001_smile

When pushing the plunger down, have you tried leaving the nib section submerged in the ink for 30 seconds or so?

While I have no personal experience with him, Danny Fudge has some really good reviews and isn't too badly priced for repairs.

Touchdowns almost always need a new sack and o-rings. I've used a fellow in Iowa I found on eBay for my touchdown and snorkel repairs. He runs about $30 and takes about a week.

It's not a touchdown, but the filling principle is similar. I have done the downstroke and held it in water or ink, but no luck. One repair site said their turnaround was 20 WEEKS.
Hadn't thought of finding someone on ebay. I found the pen there.
Will also look up Danny Fudge.

Ah, it's probably a sheaffer vacum filler, you may have to look around for someone that can repair them. They were reportily difficult to maintain and repair.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
If your pen shows a thin rod attached to the blind cap then it is a Vac-fill and will cost around $50 to repair correctly. I recommend Ron Zorn or Sherrell Tyree for this type of work.

Sherrell does excellent work. Not cheap and you need to be prepared to wait a while, but the results are worth it. Not too many people will work on these Vacuum-fil pens, with good reason, so you have to pay for her tools, experience, and expertise.

Beginning cost quoted at $50. Does anyone think restoring this is worthwhile?
There is a matching pencil.
Decisions…….

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I'd go for it if the pen is full-sized. How long is it when capped?

I've got quite a few demi-sized ones. I've been holding back on the repairs of these little guys since the value of the working pen is about what the repair cost is.

I've never used Tyler Dahl, but his website says that he repairs Sheaffer vacs for $40.00. I stumbled onto his site by way of a youtube video where he shows you how to take one apart. here:

In the video he seems to know what he is doing. I don't have the tools that he says you need and haven't wanted to spend the money to buy/make them.

His site: http://tylerdahlpens.com/services.html

Last edited by a moderator:
5 1/4 inches capped. Demi?
looking at the videos (thanks!), it doesn't seem too difficult a job once the thing comes apart. I'll start soaking.
Where would be a good place to get the replacement parts/kit?

Ron Meloche (Gallery 9926) also repairs Vacuum-fil and snorkel Sheaffers. I contacted him last week and here's his response:

"Each of the vacs are 32.00 the snorkle is 25.00 many variables in turn around but averages about three months."​

I have a "Vacuum-Fil" (Sheaffer sub-brand) that needs work and I'll probably be sending it off to him and see how it works out. I've never used him before, but he seems to have a good reputation.

Top Bottom