What's new

Raised Flat Bottom family reunion

Forgot to mention that I tried the RFB pictured above this morning. All I can say is my GNU feelings continue to grow. Ha. What a great shave. Efficient, effortless, etc. Fantastic. I have a beard right now so I only used it on my neck (the most difficult area anyways). Did the typical three passes and didn't even have to concentrate. What a great razor.

Forgot to mention that I tried the RFB pictured above this morning. All I can say is my GNU feelings continue to grow. Ha. What a great shave. Efficient, effortless, etc. Fantastic. I have a beard right now so I only used it on my neck (the most difficult area anyways). Did the typical three passes and didn't even have to concentrate. What a great razor.

Agreed. I adore the whole family. I guess it is something of an obsession at this point ...

Since we have you RFB experts all together as a group, what is your favorite blade for this razor. I have a Rotbart and find it really too mild with a GSB. Or maybe it's the angle or the technique.... I have 20 or so tech style razors and love them all but the Rotbart allways seems the mildest. I just can't seem to get a clean shave with this one....

Since we have you RFB experts all together as a group, what is your favorite blade for this razor. I have a Rotbart and find it really too mild with a GSB. Or maybe it's the angle or the technique.... I have 20 or so tech style razors and love them all but the Rotbart allways seems the mildest. I just can't seem to get a clean shave with this one....

Blades are very personal choices. For example, I am not wild about the GSB, but many other guys swear by it. I think Edgar has had success with GSBs in RFB razors. For me, Polsilver Super Iridiums work in almost any razor.

Not a RFB expert, I'm just a lover! My blade of choice is the Voskhod.
$IMG_20140828_183620.jpg

I run these in everything with good results. Right now on the bay you can get 100 delivered for less than $10.

Blades are very personal choices. For example, I am not wild about the GSB, but many other guys swear by it. I think Edgar has had success with GSBs in RFB razors. For me, Polsilver Super Iridiums work in almost any razor.

I actually agree with you Doc, I'm not crazy about the GSB either. I also prefer the Polsilver, the Gillette Platinum is also very good.

As for being mild ... the Rotbart is (IMO at least) noticeably milder than the Gillette RFBs. Still nice shavers though.

I pretty much use Polsilver SIs and Voskhods as well. I do use the GSB with success and throw a Feather around once in awhile. If I had t go with one though it would be Polsilver.

How can you tell? I don't see a crimp line.

The crimp line is there Doc, besides only the #77/88 handles have the Gillette logo and patent info, unlike the later thin handles that came with Flat Bottoms.

$side.jpg

One of my FB NEWs:

$CAM01763.jpg

Also, unless it's a mismatch, all 3 piece #77s I've seen come with a thin Tech handle.

I still can't see the crimp line. It is much more pronounced on mine.
When I say 3 piece, I mean like a SR, with the inner barrel, etc. Not like the Canadian Regent (formerly known as the Canadian #77).
My RFB 7 O'Clock, cousin to the #77, is a three piece. Perhaps there were no such #77 / #88 three piece razors.

@fernieite, would you mind taking your razor apart and showing us the component parts?

I still can't see the crimp line. It is much more pronounced on mine.
When I say 3 piece, I mean like a SR, with the inner barrel, etc. Not like the Canadian Regent (formerly known as the Canadian #77).
My RFB 7 O'Clock, cousin to the #77, is a three piece. Perhaps there were no such #77 / #88 three piece razors.

It's definitely a 2 piece (but yes I understand what you mean about the SR and 7 o'clock, but those come apart, unlike the #77/88).
Probably without my reading glasses I wouldn't see the line either :laugh: but it's there. That, the diamond logo, patent info and the fact that this seller actually did some research:

From research this is a rare razor as this was one of the only 2 piece razors that Gillette made.

And the 3 piece #77 NEW exists for sure, I have one of these sets and Achim has one with the shipper:

proxy.php

As you know Doc, all numbered sets refer to a complete set of razor plus case, not the razor by itself. They even had a #77 Tech set:

proxy.php

The auction ended yesterday, he doesn't have the razor yet.

I am absolutely sure it's a #77 (2 piece).

I'm a bit slow perhaps, but only now I understood what you mean ... if you mean that it's a 3 piece like the SR, from the factory ... I've never seen that and I don't think it exists.

If by any chance the inner barrel comes out, is because the crimping needs to be tightened. That handle is clearly (IMO) crimped as all other #77/88.

Last edited:
Why has no one invented a term to distinguish between the 2 piece (such as fernieite's #77), SR-style 3-piece, and Tech-style 3-piece?

BTW, I can think of three Gillette 2-piece razors: UK Belmont Deluxe, UK Richwood, and UK #77. Of course, those were all UK NEWs ...
Are there others?

Why has no one invented a term to distinguish between the 2 piece (such as fernieite's #77), SR-style 3-piece, and Tech-style 3-piece?

BTW, I can think of three Gillette 2-piece razors: UK Belmont Deluxe, UK Richwood, and UK #77. Of course, those were all UK NEWs ...
Are there others?

I thought about that many times, we should definitely come up with a term to distinguish the 3 piece from the other 3 piece and 2 piece razors. :lol:

Yup, I only know those three. Criterion/Belmont, the Richwood (they made a 3 piece (SR-style) version of this one too), and the #77/88, all made in UK as you said.

Btw, I think you just invented the term ... SR-style.

Top Bottom