What's new

Indian shaving creams reviews

Over the last year and a half I've come across more than 20 Indian creams that I had never heard of. Some were fantastic, some not so good and some really terrible. Online searches provided little to no information. I thought I'd start a thread where I could share my experiences with these creams. Other members who have used these creams are welcome to add their thoughts.

1.BLUE STRATOS shaving cream:

$BS1.jpg$BS2.jpg

Comes in a simple 70gm tube, with a nice fresh cologne smell. I nearly discarded this cream after a single use, but thankfully did not. This is one of several creams I've found that doesn't like too much water. A damp brush to start with and a few drops of water during lathering produces a lovely slick lather.
$BS3.jpg

Cushion during the shave was good with the post shave moisturizing quite decent as well.

It cost me Rs.60($1) for a tube and if I find more I will definitely pick up another.

Some information about the aftershave lotion and deodorant made by the same company.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/167602-Two-words-BLUE-STRATOS

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/243683-Blue-stratos

A few years ago, Godrej creams were very popular on B&B. For my money they are really great creams. These Lanolin shave creams make a rich, slick, moisturizing lather.

I have a tube of Indian Palmolive, which I need to dig out and retry again. As I recall it was a good performer which was similar to Belgian Palmolive cream, but a tad spicier.

Any way we could get some of this in the USA?
It would be difficult. This cream is available on an Indian website but doesn't deliver to even my pincode location within India! I got lucky and found a couple of tubes while traveling.

http://www.desistores.net/catalog/index.php has a decent collection of creams. But they are all the mainstream offerings. Most of what I'm going to be reviewing in this thread are the lesser known 'local finds'.

Picked these 2 tubes up outside the railway station in a small general store a few days ago. For the last so many years I've seen a wide variety of Gillette shaving 'foams' and 'gels' but NEVER a shaving cream? Is Gillette now making shaving creams for the Indian market?
$Gillette shaving cream.jpg
These are only travel tubes 30gms each. They must be making bigger tubes, but on following the links on the reverse there isn't even a mention of new shaving creams on the website?
$P&G.jpg

http://www.pg.com/en_IN/brands/pg_india_brands.shtml#gillette

http://www.gillette.com/en/IN/home.aspx

I haven't had time to use them yet. Will post a review after tomorrow's shave.

Picked these 2 tubes up outside the railway station in a small general store a few days ago. For the last so many years I've seen a wide variety of Gillette shaving 'foams' and 'gels' but NEVER a shaving cream? Is Gillette now making shaving creams for the Indian market?
View attachment 461563
These are only travel tubes 30gms each. They must be making bigger tubes, but on following the links on the reverse there isn't even a mention of new shaving creams on the website?
View attachment 461564

http://www.pg.com/en_IN/brands/pg_india_brands.shtml#gillette

http://www.gillette.com/en/IN/home.aspx

I haven't had time to use them yet. Will post a review after tomorrow's shave.

Yes , I saw them today and bought the bigger tube ( 70 gm for Rs. 59, Lime version) at Reliance Mall.
Not tried it yet.

Did you buy yours outside Churchgate Stn?

Last edited:
Yes , I saw them today and bought the bigger tube ( 70 gm for Rs. 59, Lime version) at Reliance Mall.
Not tried it yet.

Did you buy yours outside Churchgate Stn?
Nice, very reasonably priced. My 30gm tubes were Rs33 each(50 cents). I live at the other end of the country, picked it up outside Chennai Railway station. Would love to here your thoughts once you use the creams.

I'm trying to first put up reviews of all the new obscure creams I have tried Alex before I include the tried and tested one's such as Godrej, Palmolive and Biotique. Will definitely do a write up on the Palmyra a little later on and include the above link for reference.

The Blue Stratos is commonly available here in New Delhi. I had a choice between Blue S, V-John, and Gillette creams, two months ago. I picked up the V-John. It is good, and gives a thick lather. Has a glycerin - finish and cushions well. Last month I picked up the Old Spice - Musk. Oh I love that.

$vi-john main.jpg

$OLD0029_2.jpg

Not tried it yet.

Update -

Tried it today.
Decent lather, compares to any other cream, but takes a little work getting that lather going.
Old school Gillette smell.
Nice. Remember it from 30 years ago. SWMBO liked the smell.
No lime in it though, which is peculiar, as it is supposed to be a lime cream.
Used a red Omega 10065 and Gillette Guard for first WTG pass. Followed with Gillette Sterling DE for XTG. Touch up with M3
I miss my old Slim twist.

Last edited:
I try not to skimp on product so I used a generous dollop of this cream for today's shave. The cream is a little soft out the tube and has a very soapy lime fragrance. More soapy than lime.
The lather is both slick and voluminous and with very little effort I had plenty for a 2 pass shave plus touch ups. The lather is slick but offers a little less protection than say Biotique or Godrej; though this is my first outing with this cream and I am impressed.
Used a Gillette green on its 7th shave with a Parker 94R and had a DFS. Finished up with an old favourite. This cream holds up admirably against all the top guns in the Indian market.
$gillette lime.jpg

Great review !!!
Excellent review.
Thank you gentlemen.

Update -

Tried it today.
Decent lather, compares to any other cream, but takes a little work getting that lather going.
Old school Gillette smell.
Nice. Remember it from 30 years ago. SWMBO liked the smell.
No lime in it though, which is peculiar, as it is supposed to be a lime cream.
Used a red Omega 10065 and Gillette Guard for first WTG pass. Followed with Gillette Sterling DE for XTG.
I miss my old Slim twist.
Glad to see you had a good shave as well. I found it quite easy to lather. Perhaps starting with a drier brush would help. I learned this from a senior member here and it has helped me with many new creams I have tried. I agree with you on the scent, could have had a little more lime.

Having uninterrupted power supply and surprisingly fast internet speed aren't normal occurrences in my town! I'm going to take this opportunity to post reviews of a couple of creams I picked up last week.

Next up is the Amway Dynamite shaving cream.
$amway3.jpg$amway4.jpg
You would expect something with a name like this to explode upon lathering. But no, it too likes a drier brush and very little water.

A good performer with an interesting scent; Men's cologne with some green notes. The lather is slick, provides enough cushion and the post shave feel is very good. Only negative perhaps is that it dries out a bit by the 3rd pass, but that's probably because I haven't dialed in this cream properly yet.
$amway2.jpg

I wonder what Type 1-Lather shaving cream means?

Also the first time I'm seeing Meadowfoam seed oil being used in a shaving cream.

Some interesting facts about the company, Amway is short for 'American way' and have established themselves in the health, beauty, and home care markets. Men's grooming is a recent venture of the company. They have brought out a good cream no doubt, but I don't see it ousting the likes of Godrej/Palmolive/Biotique and now with Gillette too making creams for our market, the competition is only increasing.

http://www.amway.in/

I am curious, being an American company is this cream available in the USA?

Jasmine, menthol and a bit of camphor, this is the strongest and most polarizing scent I've smelled in a shaving product till date. Arko is ultra mild in comparison! My wife found it offensive, mother thought it smelled like 'Surf' washing powder and my father said it was strong but pleasant. I love it!
$Amar3.jpg$amar4.jpg
This cream lathered up very easily and has everything you would want from a good cream. Nice and slick during the shave and leaves the face feeling soft afterwards.
$Amar1.jpg$Amar2.jpg
What surprised me most was the menthol. I hadn't noticed it on the cover or ingredients list, but seconds after applying the lather I could feel its pleasant cooling effect.
A great cream for summer.

Note- The cream was quite loose in the tube, but hardened up after a night in the refrigerator.

Top Bottom