What's new

Indian shaving creams reviews

I try not to skimp on product so I used a generous dollop of this cream for today's shave. The cream is a little soft out the tube and has a very soapy lime fragrance. More soapy than lime.
The lather is both slick and voluminous and with very little effort I had plenty for a 2 pass shave plus touch ups. The lather is slick but offers a little less protection than say Biotique or Godrej; though this is my first outing with this cream and I am impressed.
Used a Gillette green on its 7th shave with a Parker 94R and had a DFS. Finished up with an old favourite. This cream holds up admirably against all the top guns in the Indian market.
View attachment 461803

"A little less protection".....maybe...That blade was on the 7th shave !!!...Wonder what it would be like with a virgin blade ??...These are great reviews,keep them coming !!!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I can get the Godrej regular and lime creams and the Dettol lime cream along with Palmolive creams, from my local Indian Market. Great reviews OP on these other fine creams from India.

$SS1.jpg

This cream has already been reviewed by malocchio here with good pictures as well.

My results with this cream were pretty much the same as his. Very easy to lather up and though impressive to look at, it offers very little protection.
$SS2.jpg$SS3.jpg

It is available in Mangalore, Karnataka and is on the expensive side(compared to other Indian creams) at Rs79 for a 70gram tube.

I'm finished with my tube, but won't be ordering another one.

Last edited:
Last week I found Godrej Menthol Mist, Lime, and the Rich Lather types. I must say that the Mentol Mist is now one of my favorites.
The high lanolin content, for me, is great. And, they make really good lather.
They were $1.99 each at a local Indian grocery store (and about four years past the mfg. date).

What is the smell of the Blue Stratos and VI- John and other mentioned creams like? Are they mild?
Strongly perfumed creams give me a running nose.

What is the smell of the Blue Stratos and VI- John and other mentioned creams like? Are they mild?

Vi John smells like incense sticks. Not intense!
Blue stratos has a typical drug store cologne smell( old spice etc).

Last edited:
There exists an Indian Standard for Saving creams. Type1 and Type 2 are part of this specs. The government's consumer protection arm carried a test on shaving cream last year ! Providing links to sites.
https://law.resource.org/pub/in/bis/S11/is.9740.1981.pdf
http://consumeraffairs.nic.in/consumer/writereaddata/Shaving_Creams.pdf

Nice finds Manoj, thank you. The article answers my question- Type1 are lathering shaving creams whereas Type2 are brushless creams.

Yes Sir both are mild, I will be doing the Vi-John review sometime next week.

ROX comes in 2 varieties, lemon and menthol. The lemon is a very nice sweet lemon pie scent whereas the menthol had no discernible smell. The review is for the menthol version.
$ROX1.jpg$rox2.jpg

I got absolutely no cooling with this cream either during or after the shave. But as a shaving cream it does a decent job. This lather whips up easily and holds a lot of water. It is very slick and provides good glide for the blade.

After taking a portion of the lemon cream I passed the rest of the tube on to a B&B friend. I have had 6 shaves with the lemon which was equal in performance to the menthol, with the added advantage of a great scent.

I would recommend the lemon cream for 2 reasons-

1. It is a good performer.

2. It cost Rs.30(50 cents) for 125grams! You owe it to yourself to try it!

Note- I'm sorry I can't put up a lather picture as I have enough cream left only for one more shave.

Last edited:
I enjoy finding inexpensive creams at the local Indian markets. There is a new huge Indo-Paki store about to open in town. I'm hoping for even more choices.

I enjoy finding inexpensive creams at the local Indian markets. There is a new huge Indo-Paki store about to open in town. I'm hoping for even more choices.
You can always print a few photos of the Indian creams you want,bring them to the grocer and ask him to bring them in for you...

These are the Indian creams which I've used:

1) All the Godrej ones
2) Park Avenue Royal Musk
3) Both Dettols
4) Old Spice Original
5) Vicco Turmeric (yuck)

Used this new cream with a new blade and had a great shave.
The scent from this one is also mild, soapy and classic barbershop. I like this more than the lime. In fact, I like this scent more than Godrej and Palmolive regular.
As with the lime this cream is also easy to lather up and surprisingly slick considering it doesn't contain lanolin, shea butter etc. The shave was comfortable and I hardly felt any sting with my block of alum. Still not convinced I decided to use some of the Captain's potion, a perfect yardstick to measure the quality of one's shave. I felt the burn, but the good type I get after a good shave.
$gillette reg.jpg

Still early days, will need to use this cream many more times before I can pass judgement. Could any other members who have used this chime in with your thoughts please? More opinions will add credibility to this review.

Note1- I found travel tubes in several small towns and villages in Tamil Nadu. I asked a local general store owner about the bigger tubes and he said they had only received these 30gram ones this month. I guess this is like a pilot survey and based on public response Gillette will start a wider distribution.

So we now know these new creams are available in Tamil Nadu, Mumbai and Delhi. Have any members from other states found these yet?
Note2-Photograph shows my brush after face lathering for the 1st pass.

Just thought I'll chime in..
I have seen the gillette creams in almost all pharmacies and supermarkets(medium scale) here in Bangalore!
I have seen them in both smaller size travel tubes and larger 60-70g tubes(I can't remember, I'll check and confirm!
I haven't purchased one or used it as I'm in the sabbatical for this month.

Last edited:
Just thought I'll chime in..
I have seen the gillette creams in almost all pharmacies and supermarkets(medium scale) here in Bangalore!
I have seen them in both smaller size travel tubes and larger 60-70g tubes(I can't remember, I'll check and confirm!
I haven't purchased one or used it as I'm in the sabbatical for this month.
Excellent news! So we can now add Karnataka to our list. Try them out once you've finished your sabbatical and let us know what you think.

Top Bottom