What's new

Help picking a SINGLE lens for a trip to Israel

Hey guys,

I will be taking a 10 day trip to Israel this coming August and want you advise on what lens to bring for my canon 70D. Remember that this camera has a crop factor of 1.6. I currently own a 17-40 4L which is really a 27-64 on my body. I'm worried that it won't be long enough.

i am considering renting a 24-105 4L which would be a 38-168. Might that be a better option? Might another lens be?

What do you guys think?

thanks,

josh

Yeah, unless you're going on a safari or something that needs long range, I'd stick with wide angle. If you don't see yourself going full frame, why not the 17-55 f/2.8 IS? It'd be a good replacement for the 17-40L. You get an extra stop of light, IS, faster AF, and it's ridiculously sharp.

I have a 17-55 f/2.8. The wide end works for me and the aperture helps indoors where you aren't using a flash (like a museum or temple).

On my trips to cities, I don't often swap out for the telephoto lens. And if I do, it's because I want a detail shot that's probably over 100mm anyway.

+1 for the 17-55. Very sharp and fixed aperture makes for quick adjustment. Fast lens will also assist with low light.

Well, what do you like to shoot? I really like to shoot details and portraits during my travels, so I often carry a 70-300. It works excellent as a portrait lens and great for getting tight details. As for what you have listed the 24-105 is what I would take. 38 effective is just fine for street and 168 is excellent for portraits and details.

-Xander

Last edited:
I'm a Nikon man, and find my 18-200 indispensable. Sounds like the Tamron 16-300 is similar. It's amazing how much more compact these zooms have gotten since I started shooting.

Top Bottom