What's new

Star Kampfe Brothers Lather Catcher

Hello there,

Yesterday I grabbed one of those and I'd like to read your thoughts about the shave it procure.

Thanks for your time.

I love these razors and I want one. They look like industrial art to me. Just such a cool design. Post some pics, Maxime.

That's not the one I purchased but that's the same model.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Mine shaves similarly to my Gem 1912, if a touch rougher. The big thing is that the handle on mine is very light, so I felt like I had to drag it more compared to the solid handle on my 1912. If you can find a big wooden handle, that may mitigate that. Or a custom.

I have two different handle types. One is the thin hollow handle (that came in the tin box), this version is head heavy due to the light handle. I am not a fan of light handles and shaving with the hollow handle version is a bit awkward. I was fortunate to score a long wooden handle 1902. This version has good balance the thicker design of the handle is also very comfortable.

My experience with the Star 1902 models is exactly the same as Teppanyaki. The Star 1902 models are not aggressive but they do have a rough feel on the skin (at least to me they do). If I remember correctly your Star No. 1 set was released in 1919. I don't own your particular version but the handle looks similar to my Stoll LC that has good balance for a hollow handle (due to it's thicker handle).

Yup, personally I like them a lot. They work very well - some parts of my beard are even easier with an SE than with a straight. The only negative about this razor (and it's ilk) is the maintaining of the blades which imo is a bit of a nuissance.

Not being into SE, I just realized that I can't put a PTFE inside that thing lolll So it's only meant for Straightrazorlike blade ?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Not being into SE, I just realized that I can't put a PTFE inside that thing lolll So it's only meant for Straightrazorlike blade ?

Can't quite tell 100% from the photo above, but I have one that has a back like that with the Y-shaped teeth that holds a modern Single Edge just fine .. as long as there are blade stops you should be good to go

Can't quite tell 100% from the photo above, but I have one that has a back like that with the Y-shaped teeth that holds a modern Single Edge just fine .. as long as there are blade stops you should be good to go

Here's the beast. I'll have to get some Ted Pella PTFE to see if it accept SE blades.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Last edited:
Even though these were issued with wedge blades your Star lather catcher should accommodate a modern single edge razor blade. The blade stops are able to "catch" the blade from falling forward. The only problem you might face is if one of them is worn down or too small.

I own two the steel hollow handle version has one very small blade stop. The blade stop is not worn down it appears to have been manufactured this way. I tilt the blade's spine slightly upwards and push the sharp cutting edge down so that the blade can rest better on the small blade stop. The way I seat the blade mimics the way a wedge blade would rest, the result actually gives me a smooth shave. You can only use wedge blades on lather catcher's that were manufactured without blades stops.

On the picture below you can see the Star on the left has a wedge blade. The Star on the right has a modern SE blade installed.

$1ebcs4.jpg

For historical sake below is the very first Kampfe razor from 1880 with the original tin. It was the first razor patented with the name "safety razor" The patent model prototype had a milk glass handle, the first in production had the wooden handle and wedge blade.
$razors-1A.jpg

$image.jpg$image.jpgI have really enjoyed using my Lather Catchers...for me they are great shavers. I also find the sound they make while shaving very unique.

Top Bottom