What's new

Red Wing Iron Ranger 8111

IIRC you can take your Red Wing shoes to any Red Wing store once per month and they will oil/polish em up for free.
At least that's what they told me when I got my last pair.

Once a month is way too often for most people wearing their boots under normal circumstances. Twice a year is perfectly fine, and a good opportunity to take advantage of the free re-lacing service as well.

Just my $.02

Well, I broke down and placed an order for another pair of Iron Rangers in size 10.5D (as I mentioned above, I ordered size 11D last week). I put the 11D's on last night and was torn about the fit. I walked around in them in my basement on the carpet and it just felt like the toe was hitting the carpet..... like it was long in the toe box. The 11D's seem to fit pretty good otherwise and they are definitely more narrow than my Wolverine 1KM boots in the same size. But I noticed that where the boot breaks across the widest part of the top of my foot that instead of a simple crease or bend in the leather, it's almost like it's rolling. It just seems like there's too much length in the toe.

I'm going to try the 10.5D's and see how they fit. They've already shipped and should arrive in a couple days. My only fear is that the 10.5D's will be too narrow, but I hope I don't find that to be the case. I think I could definitely make due with the 11D's since they fit pretty good in the arch and heel, and if I have a little extra toe room then that's not a huge deal. I think I have a little bit of lee way in the width though..... meaning I think if the 10.5D's are a little narrower I would still be okay.

I guess I'll find out in a couple days. One nice thing about the IR's is that you can wear them around the house inside quite a bit and the leather is so tough that it doesn't crease and look like you've worn them hardly at all..... unlike calfskin dress shoes that permanently crease almost immediately. I contacted the vendor and told them my plan to send one pair back, but haven't heard anything from them. Hopefully there will be no issues. I will be responsible for the cost of shipping back to the vendor, but I should be able to get a full refund of the purchase price of whatever boots I decide to send back.

Ben

Your laces were leather? Nice. Mine were a waxed shoe lace. They are nice at first but when the wax comes off they are always coming untied. I much prefer the Red Wing laces.

That's unfortunate. Maybe it was a different model boot than the pair I own. I'm sure you can find laces of a higher quality from Chippewa.

I have a pair of IR (the 4556) and I love them. I actually picked up a pair of alden indy boots a little while back and ended up returning them because I liked the IRs better for what I was going to use them for. I'm not a tradesman but I'm a homeowner and live in CT so they get the "work" that you'd expect from that combo (lawn care, shoveling, small scale home repairs, etc). I treat all my leather products with Leather Honey but I've heard wonderful things about obenaufs. I don't want to turf up a debate on the merit of leather treatments though, just share some IR love. The first week or two was a little rough but they have softened up nicely and I love the look. They are almost exclusively an under jeans boot but I wore them a handful of times under a pair of less formal looking chinos when the weather was really bad in the winter.

Really, the obenauf's debate comes down to what the boots are to be used for. If you're using them as work boots that get blasted with gravel, rain, snow, and mud, then by all means go for a heavy duty protectant. If you're using them as casual boots for wear at the office or walking around town, then it's overkill and probably a bad idea. This is generally true for most any boot.

Of course, it's also confusing why people buy boots like the Iron Rangers to work in. They're not a work boot, they're a fashion boot that's built on a work boot last. Iron rangers are unlined, unpadded, uninsulated boots. They're not available with a safety-toe, and they have a smooth sole. They're terrible in ice and snow. This also stands for boots like most of Alden's stuff, Wolverine 1000 mile, AE Daltons, etc.

I work in environmental consulting, which involve a bunch of work with drilling and construction management, so I'm no stranger to work boots. I highly recommend keeping your work footwear separate from your casual wear. That will allow you to have footwear that's best suited to both tasks, and maximize their lifespan.

I gotcha. Mine have a lug sole so I can't speak to the 8111's in wet conditions. IMHO, the IR (and some of the others you've noted) are good in-between option for someone like myself. It's not a workboot like some of the other RW options and not a dressboot like the AE dalton. It's right at home under a pair of jeans though, and very functional for the type of work I do around the house/yard. It isn't constantly battered by chemicals or the elements, but it does come into contact with both. I was fortunate to get a very good price on mine and, if I could go back, I would think hard about buying a 2nd pair. I think I will get decade or two out of them the way I use them, but it will be a truly sad day when I do finally retire them and who knows what will be available then.

Well, since I got the 10.5 D's last week, I decided that they were a good length, but the width was too narrow at the widest part of my foot. So I placed an order for some 10.5 EE's, which came in today and I think I have a winner. Still, I am surprised at the length of these. They seem so long for 10.5's. They are litterally very comparable in length to 11.5 boots that I have on other lasts.... and they are still longer (just a smidge) than my Woverine 1KM boots in size 11 D.

I think that some advice that was mentioned in another forum was pretty spot on for me. Where I wear a size 11 D in Wolverine 1KM's with a thin Spenco cushion insole for a more or less perfect fit with medium to heavy socks, these Iron Rangers are a half size down and a couple notches up in width from the 1KM's for a very comparable fit. Even though the IR's are an EE width, I'd say that they are slightly narrower in the arch and heel than the size D 1KM's. Which suits me fine since I have a relatively narrow heel and low instep compared to the widest part of my foot.

Since the IR's in size 10.5 EE is not as readily available, I ended up paying full retail to get these in that size. The other two pairs that don't fit as well were cheaper (figures) since they were 10.5 D and 11 D sizes that are more readily available. Honestly, I could go with 11 D's okay, it's just that they would be a little long in the toe box. Other than that, they fit pretty well. Proportionally, the 10.5 EE's just seem to match the shape of my foot a little better I think.

Ben

Funny you say that. A 9.5EE would be near perfect for me, but I wasn't about to pass up the deal I got on mine so I went with a 10D. They are perfect everywhere except for a little extra length. Sound familiar? :lol:

Funny you say that. A 9.5EE would be near perfect for me, but I wasn't about to pass up the deal I got on mine so I went with a 10D. They are perfect everywhere except for a little extra length. Sound familiar? :lol:

Ha, that's funny. I don't mind a pair of shoes or boots that aren't a "perfect fit"..... as long as I know that there isn't a better fit out there to be had. For the extra $60 I paid for the 10.5 EE's, I'll be happy to part with it, given that the only other pair of Red Wings that I have ever owned are 20 years old and still have some life left in them. I guess I feel that in the long run, over the life of the boots, $60 in savings is not enough for me to justify a fit that isn't as good as another boot that's available.

Of course, if I had the 11 D's and did not know that 10.5 EE's existed, I would be fine and completely content with the 11 D's. :lol:

Ben

Last edited:
Here's the pair I settled on...... size 10.5 EE's

View attachment 481543

These are REALLY comfortable boots. Actually, more comfortable out of the box compared to my Wolverine 1000 Mile Addison Boots, which I've heard many say that they have the opposite experience. I've been wearing them all morning and they are as comfortable as any other boot or shoe I've ever owned. They will be super once completely broken in.

They may look a little dark in the above photo to some. I applied some Obenauf's Boot Oil (not the LP) last night. The amber harness leather was thirsty looking and I also thought it might help with the break in period. I actually like them a little darker, but I imagine that the leather will return to it's original amber harness color in a week or so.

Ben

I actually like them a little darker, but I imagine that the leather will return to it's original amber harness color in a week or so.

I'm with you there and suspect you're right. I actually just picked up a pair of Oak Street boots that should come in early next wk and I'm really looking forward to comparing them to the IRs. I got a good enough deal on them (lightly used) that if I think I'll be able to sell them for a similar price if I don't like them.

Picked up some red wing beckman's in the cigar featherstone. I really like the leather. The break in so far has not been bad after around 3 hours of walking and 10 hours or so of sitting around in them.

Not treating them with anything until they need it.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Here's the pair I settled on...... size 10.5 EE's

View attachment 481543

These are REALLY comfortable boots. Actually, more comfortable out of the box compared to my Wolverine 1000 Mile Addison Boots, which I've heard many say that they have the opposite experience. I've been wearing them all morning and they are as comfortable as any other boot or shoe I've ever owned. They will be super once completely broken in.

They may look a little dark in the above photo to some. I applied some Obenauf's Boot Oil (not the LP) last night. The amber harness leather was thirsty looking and I also thought it might help with the break in period. I actually like them a little darker, but I imagine that the leather will return to it's original amber harness color in a week or so.

Ben
Looks good!

I won these as new Iron Rangers in Muleskinner leather on ebay UK a few weeks ago for a very good price. Very comfortable they are.

$IronRangers.jpg

As it's a roughout leather, I checked on the Red Wing site and it says to treat them with Mink Oil now and then. Won't that kill to rough look of the leather?

Gareth

RE: Mink Oil on roughout leather.

It depends. Mink oil will reduce the nap somewhat, but not as much as a more heavy dubbin or wax. I think the Muleskinner leather is supposed to eventually have that dubbin-applied suede look, which is why they recommend the mink oil. If you really want to keep them as-is, then any suede conditioning spray should work.

RE: Mink Oil on roughout leather.

It depends. Mink oil will reduce the nap somewhat, but not as much as a more heavy dubbin or wax. I think the Muleskinner leather is supposed to eventually have that dubbin-applied suede look, which is why they recommend the mink oil. If you really want to keep them as-is, then any suede conditioning spray should work.

Thanks for that. It's what Redwing reccomend so I don't suppose it'll do any harm!

Gareth

Looks good!

Thanks! Enjoying the Iron Rangers a lot. I wore them to a family picnic on Saturday..... all day. My feet hurt a bit by the middle of the afternoon after having walked around quite a bit. Later in the afternoon and evening the discomfort eased up a bit since I was sitting and visiting more. I was convinced that when I got home at 10:30 that evening that I would have raw blisters on my feet in a couple spots, but I didn't. I woke up the next morning without ever having felt like I was wearing a stiff leather boot the day before.

They look great and feel great on my feet...... and I'm sure that will only get better with age. They are still pretty dark from the boot oil. I've been brushing them for a good five minutes after each time I wear them. I don't know if I'll do the whole Obenaufs LP thing to them. I applied the Obenaufs boot oil to condition them a bit because they looked bone dry when I got them. I guess I'll have to see how much I anticipate wearing these as the weather gets worse before I decide to waterproof them.

Ben

Great looking boots! But wow, that sizing is incredible.

I didn't believe.. I only went down a half step and I was also swimming in them. I went with a whole step down and they are a perfect fit.

The soles: Like a Birkenstock sandal's cork sole molds to your feet? Same thing here. After a couple weeks I had a perfect custom fit boot for my feets.

Top Bottom