What's new

First post and razor recommendation

I've amassed a collection of over 60 razors and have shaved with every one. My daily "go to's" are my Merkur Slant or chrome Futur.
My travel razor is a matt Futur. Not to say I don't take out the Feather, Progress, Vision, Ikon, Toggle or even a SuperSpeed or Schick injector. But I guess if I was on an island with only one razor it would be the Futur. It just sings to me when paired with a Gillette Bleue Extra. And it's adjustable!

well it is a razor - not a kidney, so why not just give of the options a try see where that takes me!

Unless i find a vintage razor in the near future, i will probably pick up a new one during the summer when my as balm runs out. At the moment i'm leaning towards the slant or an adjustable.

I'll certainly keep you posted!

cheers

I took the plunge from a Merkur head to a Muhle R41. It was a major jump in aggressiveness, but I have an extremely thick beard, so I really needed the added umph to level my whiskers. If your beard is not as rough as mine, the R41 might not be the best choice, and you'll be able to get BBS much cleaner with a less aggressive razor.

Hi! Its been a long time since i started this thread but its coming to a close!

During the summer and fall, ive shaved less frequent and often sported a 3-7 day beard that requires heavy duty equipment to manage. So i dropped the thoughts of a slant or progress and went for an open comb razor instead.

Surprisingly, open combs are really rare in scandinavia so i found myself buying the beasy, muhle r41 (hopefully the new version). With its bloody reputation i am still somewhat uncertain about my new companion but hopefully it will still develop to a nice everyday razor.

Ill keep you posted on how it shaves when the mailman arrives!

Cheers!

Hi! Its been a long time since i started this thread but its coming to a close!

During the summer and fall, ive shaved less frequent and often sported a 3-7 day beard that requires heavy duty equipment to manage. So i dropped the thoughts of a slant or progress and went for an open comb razor instead.

Surprisingly, open combs are really rare in scandinavia so i found myself buying the beasy, muhle r41 (hopefully the new version). With its bloody reputation i am still somewhat uncertain about my new companion but hopefully it will still develop to a nice everyday razor.

Ill keep you posted on how it shaves when the mailman arrives!

Cheers!

let us know when the race he gets here, and keep us posted on your shaves. Don't forget good prep and proper angle.

Hi,

The muhle r41 arrived yesterday and i tried it out later that evening. Given its bloody reputation, i cleaned my face thoroughly and opted for some pre-shave oil to minimize any issues.

The blade is much more "present" on the skin with the muhle compared to the merkur and the beard didn't clog the razor as quickly as on the merkur. I find the muhle to be a more aggressive razor than the merkur, but not in a "i-will-eat-you-alive" kind of way. It is simply a honest razor that efficiently will cut the beard or anything else you ask it to cut.

For the first shave i didn't want to risk anything so i just went for two passes and no touch up afterwards. This gave a nice clean shave even under my jaw which was a pleasing surprise. With good prep and short rapid strokes with minimal pressure, there were no blood, no nicks or irritation. This is certainly a keeper!

Welcome to B&B! I think you owe it to yourself to try 1) a Gillette New and a Schick Injector Type G or E (more aggressive than the G).

Thanks!

Well, i would love to try a vintage razor but they are rare on the bay and tend to be more expensive than new razors(!). Im looking out for them though.

Thats the place where RAD lives, and i dont wish to catch it too soon ;-)

Anyway, i shaved with the muhle this morning and it feels really good. Its not a scary razor but very efficieny.
I only needed two passes plus touch-up for a clean shave compared to minimum three passes with the merkur. Good stuff!

The OP said that he got very different shaves from the two Merkurs, but the heads are really the same. So either the quality control is off and the two heads he owns are very different or the differently weighted and shaped handles are throwing him off. Perhaps experiment with a different handle if he likes the travel Merkur before switching to a new razor and adding too many variables to the equation. I've heard the Utopia handle is great and at about 10 bux, it's dirt cheap with a free head thrown in.

I needed to get a new razor anyways because i want to keep my wet-bag intact so i simply have to grab it and throw into the luggage when i pack for travels.

I don't think its a quality issue if the heads are similar, but the 34c weighs 80g and the travel razor 46g. That extra weight goes into the handle on the 34c and the handle is also about 10mm longer than on the travel razor. This probably explains why the travel razor feels more agile and petite. I will give the travel razor a try with the handle from the r41. In theory, it should now feel similar to the 34c.

I've amassed a collection of over 60 razors and have shaved with every one. My daily "go to's" are my Merkur Slant or chrome Futur.
My travel razor is a matt Futur. Not to say I don't take out the Feather, Progress, Vision, Ikon, Toggle or even a SuperSpeed or Schick injector. But I guess if I was on an island with only one razor it would be the Futur. It just sings to me when paired with a Gillette Bleue Extra. And it's adjustable!

Not the Toggle?

Top Bottom