What's new

Horse Hair Knots

Where might I be able to get some horsehair knots? I have three Turkish horse hair brushes and two Spanish. I really like the Turkish brushes...they are my among favorites...also dirt cheap! :001_cool:

I only know of two vendors that carry horse hair knots. They are very difficult to find.

1. PC Woodcraft.

2. Heavenhorse / Anping County Shengwei Animal Hair Products Co., Ltd. Horse hair knots are not listed, but are available for special order. Simply email Baowen Chen to discuss you needs.

The various Vie-Long horse hair knots are only available in completed brushes. They will not sell knots separately.

Has anyone had experience with the vendors listed above?

Has anyone had experience with the vendors listed above?

I have personally purchased from Baowen Chen, although not in some time. He was slow, but reliable. I have not purchased from PC Woodcraft, but the owner promptly and professionally responded to my inquiries.

I would also note that within the last year, Virginia Sheng, a noted Ebay and Aliexpress seller, has begun carrying horse hair brushes. It's likely that horse hair knots would be available by request.

I have personally purchased from Baowen Chen, although not in some time. He was slow, but reliable. I have not purchased from PC Woodcraft, but the owner promptly and professionally responded to my inquiries.

I would also note that within the last year, Virginia Sheng, a noted Ebay and Aliexpress seller, has begun carrying horse hair brushes. It's likely that horse hair knots would be available by request.

How are the brushes standing up. It has been almost a year since you commented on them. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Horse and otherwise.

How are the brushes standing up. It has been almost a year since you commented on them. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Horse and otherwise.

The brushes are all of good quality and doing just fine, and given their low price, a good value. I have since acquired a much larger and ever expanding stable of brushes at all price points, and now only occasionally use my Heavenhorse brushes. My two favorites are the synthetic and two-band. I've also recently been going through a synthetic brush phase, including regular use of my Heavenhorse synthetic which is quite good, but not in the same top category as my L'Occitane Plisson.

If your primary intent is to acquire an inexpensive horse hair brush or knot, Chen will not disappoint, particularly since you can custom order. If you just want to experiment with some inexpensive high-quality silvertips and similar brushes, I would recommend Whipped Dog above all others. Larry, the proprietor, is exceptionally fast, friendly and professional, and his silvertip badger knots are of higher quality than Heavenhorse. Sadly, he does not carry any horse hair knots.

Further, I would recommend purchasing a Vie-Long brush if you want a quintessential horse hair brush with a high-quality handle. Gifts & Care carries the largest selection of Vie-Long brushes, including both brown and white horse hair (white is much softer), and they will gladly permit you to customize loft and shape (fan or bulb knot). G&C also has a 10% B&B discount.

Top Bottom