What's new

Fine aftershaves

Personally the only old formulation I like better is Italian Citrus.

Im just not a big menthol guy. so i like his older formulations. A bit of menthol is nice like on Proraso Green but even that is relegated to Summer use only. I want to be able to use his Vetivers in the winter too.

I hope he is ready for the backlash to the change back to the original formula. Can't please everyone! I think he's making the right move. You can always add more menthol.

I hope he is ready for the backlash to the change back to the original formula. Can't please everyone! I think he's making the right move. You can always add more menthol.

Why not offer both though? He already has the formula, just need a new label.

I'm sure he has his reasons.

He stated on reddit that he didn't really care about the backlash from people who disliked menthol, but he was really surprised by the feedback from people who said that the menthol overpowered the fragrance and made it harder to smell.

I am very glad. Where did you hear that info?

Also I don't think there will be much backlash. The old formula was pretty much universally loved and preferred by those who tried both. Most of the people who liked the new formula only tried the new formula. There are a small minority of people who tried both and like the new formula and they have the ability to add menthol themselves. I think this was a great decision and so do the customers judging by everyone's posts.

The interesting change will be with the Platinum. There never was an earlier, lower-menthol version of Platinum, but there will be now. I like Platinum, but thought the scent dissipated pretty quickly. If that was due to the added menthol, I'll see the new version as improved. (If any of you really enjoy the high menthol versions, and particularly like Fresh Vetiver, feel free to PM me. I have a couple of bottles in reserve.)

If nothing else, I appreciate Todd's openness about his decision-making and his willingness to change course if need be. Small businesses are great...

For Sale: One sampler of the old "New" Fine Aftershaves, now rare and highly collectable. $1000 nets the whole set. For serious collectors only!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I just read his post here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/wicked_edge/comments/2be90x/a_fine_mess/

I agree with Mr Fine in that the menthol has somewhat obscured the scent. I own both old and new formulas and like them both but the original is what made everything go for me. I am glad he has seen that maybe he really had something special in the original formula and is humble enough to make changes back to the original. Good work Mr. Fine I'm back in.

He stated on reddit that he didn't really care about the backlash from people who disliked menthol, but he was really surprised by the feedback from people who said that the menthol overpowered the fragrance and made it harder to smell.

I just read the reddit thread and didn't get from that "he really didn't care about the backlash from people who disliked menthol". He said that he preferred the higher menthol but not at the expense of scent.

Also he mentioned 6 changes and talked about 3 (bottles, menthol and Italian citrus reformulation). Not sure about these newer similar flask bottles. I wonder how different they are. Anyone know what the other 3 changes were?

Last edited:
The interesting change will be with the Platinum. There never was an earlier, lower-menthol version of Platinum, but there will be now. I like Platinum, but thought the scent dissipated pretty quickly. If that was due to the added menthol, I'll see the new version as improved. (If any of you really enjoy the high menthol versions, and particularly like Fresh Vetiver, feel free to PM me. I have a couple of bottles in reserve.)

If nothing else, I appreciate Todd's openness about his decision-making and his willingness to change course if need be. Small businesses are great...

People loved platinum now. Wait until they try it with less menthol. The scent will be way better and longer lasting.

I hope he learned from Italian citrus about reformulation oils. This part is worrisome if it means a reformulation for American Blend.

"My takeaway from the RazoRock collaboration was that my oils, as they are, do not do as well as I would like in soap. They need to be reformulated to work in the higher Ph environment present in soap in order to be more fragrant. That is a process I have already begun for future soap offerings."

I just read the reddit thread and didn't get from that "he really didn't care about the backlash from people who disliked menthol". He said that he preferred the higher menthol but not at the expense of scent.

I was paraphrasing this line:

When I initially made the change, I was mentally prepared to defend it against menthol haters if it became necessary. So imagine my surprise when the push back actually came from fragrance lovers complaining that the menthol was interfering with the scents, and the further realization that they were right!

Top Bottom