What's new

Another Handle in the making.

I told myself that i was gonna take a break from making handles for a while. Then i wandered into an old Simpson brush thread, and decided that i want a Simpson CH3.

These brushes are around $300+ so intead of buying one, i decided to make a handle like it.

Here's what i have so far.

Dremel & hand sanding.

Like usual, the ridgeline is not as straight as it should. But this is just the rough sanding, and it will straighten out as i smooth it out.

I measured the top and i might go with a 26, maybe a 28mm knot. But there is definitely more than enough room for a 30mm.

After 80, 120, 150, 220 and 400 grit paper.

The ridge looks more straight and i rounded it out a bit.

And then a friendly enabler appeared! MwaHaHaaa!:devil2:

Very nice detail work!

The first one is going to be the sugar maple. I have an interesting idea for it, maybe i will start on it next week.

Once again, thank you for that!!

Very nice looking. Looking forward to the finished product.

Thank you both for the kind words.

Handle height is just under two inches, and it's about an inch and 3/4 wide.

I'll probably use this thread to post my future handles.

Here's another one i am working on today. The guy at the woodworking shop mentioned it might be some type of south american cut. Looking at some picstures online, it looks like honduran rosewood. I don't really know though.

This one is very heavy, and i'm going through sandpaper fast.

Stopped by a a few estate sales, and while i found no razors or brushes. I found this craftsman drill press stand, unfortunately none of my drills fit. So i will have to find one that does. Once i do, it should work 100 times better than the guide a bought a while back.

Here's another one i am working on today. The guy at the woodworking shop mentioned it might be some type of south american cut. Looking at some picstures online, it looks like honduran rosewood. I don't really know though.

This one is very heavy, and i'm going through sandpaper fast.

Those oily exotic woods do clog up sand paper quickly. You might try one of the big eraser like things to unclog the grit. It does extend the useful life powered abrasive attachments. This is the one I use, but you can probably find something similar elsewhere.

ah thanks for that!

do you think a regular eraser can do the trick? i use a small palm sander.

I will Dave, and thank you Chief.

some more work on the bottom half, i think i might leave it like that. Now to start on the top.

It sure did (thank you!), but mostly for the sheets that go on the hand sander. It didn't work much for the sanding drum on the RTX. but the sanding drums are cheap, so i can just buy more.

A lot of dust gets caked up on the drum, that it's probably too much for the eraser to undo.

Top Bottom