What's new

Just tried Pour Over

As far as personal tastes, I started on coffee by drinking espresso and my preference even now is for very strong coffee. In the past year or so I have switched almost entirely to Americano and that seems a good balance between coffee and espresso for me. The pour over I had at 21st street was as close as I have come to an americano without making espresso. If I could replicate something like that at home, without having to buy an espresso maker (my other option) that would be awesome.

If you are looking for Americano taste without the hassle of an Espresso machine I think a moka pot or a pour-over or Aeropress with a stainless steel filter will get you closer. (But will it be close enough?)

+1 on the suggestion of a moka pot. It's brewed under pressure like espresso, but not enough pressure to actually qualify as espresso. But it certainly makes strong coffee. I know Target carries a Bialetti model for around $20 and I think Ikea has their own model which is actually cheaper.

Unfortunately, I never had good control over brew times with mine, it really depends on how nice your range is.

Top Bottom