What's new

SE Noob

Hi Guys. Looking to try an SE razor. Would love a Cobra, but they are expensive and hard to get hold of.

What would you suggest for an SE first time user, that is reasonably priced, and fairly easy to get hold of? Oh by the way I live in South London in the UK.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
A 1912 would probably do the trick

I love the look and use of my Gem 1912 Junior (art deco chain-link handle).

Having said that, if I want a Cobra equivalent, a Schick Injector is a very solid choice. I have actually never shaved with one.

Try a Schick injector Type G for an ancestor of the Cobra.

I love the look and use of my Gem 1912 Junior (art deco chain-link handle).

Having said that, if I want a Cobra equivalent, a Schick Injector is a very solid choice. I have actually never shaved with one.

Good advice on trying an injector.

If you wanted a Cobra you owe it to yourself to try an injector. The Type G is a good all around injector. The 1912 models are good SE razors but the injector comes closer to what you are looking for (IMO).

Try a bunch! I've found that local antique and second hand shops usually have very inexpensive models that might need a little clean-up before you give them a go.

Personally, injectors don't work for me but the Gem 1912 varieties worked very well for me, especially the Damaskeene and Featherweight models.

If you've never shaved with a SE, I'd recommend watching Mr. Guys' videos. Here's one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUG2B_-D0d4

Please let us know what you ended up with.

1912's are probably the easiest razor to just pick up and get a great shave with. Finding the angle is just easy and intuitive. Injectors are really nice too, but it's hard enough to find blades for them in the US. I'm not sure how easy it would be to get injector blades in the UK.

Injector blades are very easy to find in the US--Amazon carries Schick blades, and so does Walgreens online. Connaught Shaving carries the Personna blades in the UK, and in the US, Ted Pella carries them as well. The only problem is that there are only the two brands in current manufacture to choose from, although both are quite good. You can still find NOS blades on eBay, but they tend to be more expensive. Injector blades are more expensive than DE blades, but they last much longer, which makes up the difference in price. I have gotten 25 shaves from a Schick blade, and I know of several other gents who have gotten many more.

SE Noob,

+++ on the 1912 :)

An all-round excellent shaver (for me).

The 1912s are reasonably easy to find and therefore also well priced.

I think every shaver should have one :)

Have fun :)

Best regards

Russ

Top Bottom