What's new

Graduation Gift Ideas?

No offense to the Timbuk2 suggestions, but how about a really nice leather satchel or briefcase--very profesisonal and lasts forever.

I have one like this and its lasted for over 10 years with few problems--I even carry my MacBook Pro and iPod in it--it works great and looks beautiful.

Or you can check out Candlepower Forums...more info then you would ever hope to know about a light. Remember, people aren't just fanatical about shaving...

I would have to agree with the leather breifcase/messenger bag or a nice pen or cufflinks. Something that will last that he can remember...

What about an Oceanus watch. They look good. Are relatively unique. Set themselves by atomic clock. Are pretty rugged and just in if not a touch above the price range that you mentioned.

MJB

If you're looking for some more professional items, Levenger.com has some very nice professional folios, fountain pens, brief bags, etc. Just alot of nice looking professional items. I just recieved one of their zippered Circa folios today and it seems very nice, can even monogram w/ three initials for a more person touch and minimal extra cost. Just a suggestion.

Goosemeplease said:
We really need a post about this! help a brother out!

Yeah! I did not understand this AD at all. Although whenever I need a flashlight there never seems to be one. Or, I have to do the shakey thing to get that warm amber glow.... :lol:

I think I've maybe settled on a decent watch... and I'm open for suggestions and places to look.

I would avoid automatic/winding at this price range. Good quartz watches in the price range you are looking.

Victorinox--Swiss Army watches are very nice and have a good selection in the price range. Avoid other Swiss Army brands which are by comparison lesser products.

Oceanus watches are nifty; they are actually made by Casio but marketed as their own brand. I would purchase through watchgear. They are 100 m water resistant, solar powered, have a sapphire crystal and set themselves to the atomic clock. They may be a bit more pricey than you set out. I would be cautious with some of the discount watches houses here as the grey market is going to be a lesser watch.

Luminox makes a nifty watch with great glow in the dark features.

http://www.watchgear.com/WatchGear/ is a very reliable seller.

MJB

For what it’s worth, I read an article that said watch sales are going down. People are replacing them with their cell phones

Ron

Arby said:
For what it’s worth, I read an article that said watch sales are going down. People are replacing them with their cell phones

Ron

Well--ugh. May as well just grab some Foamy and a Good News disposable.

MJB

Just a thought, but overstock.com has a pretty huge selection of fairly high end (up to very high end) watches at considerable discount. Might be an option, allowing for a little nicer watch for the price range.

That said, I have a Swiss Army that I am quite pleased with. Although it is one of the "inferior" ones made by Wenger....

If you don't have your heart set on a watch yet, if he is at all into electronics or gadgets of the cell phone, PSP or MP3 type, you could get him a case from Vaja Cases they are gorgeously hand crafted in Argentina. I've bought two MP3 and two cell phone cases and I have my eye on the PSP case, but SWMBO keeps a close tab on my wants vs my needs. So since I NEED a PSP case and a Shavemac...:biggrin: One thing though, they custom make everything so it takes about 20 days average from cow to you.

Hope this helps

Rod

moses said:
Just a thought, but overstock.com has a pretty huge selection of fairly high end (up to very high end) watches at considerable discount. Might be an option, allowing for a little nicer watch for the price range.

That said, I have a Swiss Army that I am quite pleased with. Although it is one of the "inferior" ones made by Wenger....

Sorry if I upset you but at the risk of doing it again, I'd avoid overstock. Wristwatches are not a good place to go grey market.

MJB

No worries - was just teasing. But, just out of curiousity, what exactly do you mean by gray market, and how does overstock fit into that?

Grey market (at least if used in the same context as in photography grey market) refers to items that are produced with the intent to be sold in one market, say Europe, but are imported and sold in another market, say N. America, in order to reduce prices since sometimes manufacturers will set lower prices in some markets than in other markets.

The issue with grey market items is that the quality is not always the same, especially true for items originally designated for sale in Africa/SE Asia. Often these items look and feel identical to their N. American/European counterparts, but are made with lower quality components.

I don't know much about overstock.com, but I would assume they get the low prices they have from one or more of three methods.
1. Grey market as described above.
2. Minimally defective stock that manufacturers sell to retailers for reduced amount since major retailers won't accept pre-damaged goods.
3. Purchasing the items that are left over from manufacturers when they complete a run of an item. Often manufacturers will produce say 150 more items than necessary on say a 10,000 item run in order to ensure they have enough to cover any defects in the manufactured items, particularly since products created at the start/end of a run are more likely to be defective due to start-up errors. These components are often sold off at a reduced price as well.

As I said I know little of overstock.com, but I hope that explains.

fuerein said:
Grey market (at least if used in the same context as in photography grey market) refers to items that are produced with the intent to be sold in one market, say Europe, but are imported and sold in another market, say N. America, in order to reduce prices since sometimes manufacturers will set lower prices in some markets than in other markets.

The issue with grey market items is that the quality is not always the same, especially true for items originally designated for sale in Africa/SE Asia. Often these items look and feel identical to their N. American/European counterparts, but are made with lower quality components.

I don't know much about overstock.com, but I would assume they get the low prices they have from one or more of three methods.
1. Grey market as described above.
2. Minimally defective stock that manufacturers sell to retailers for reduced amount since major retailers won't accept pre-damaged goods.
3. Purchasing the items that are left over from manufacturers when they complete a run of an item. Often manufacturers will produce say 150 more items than necessary on say a 10,000 item run in order to ensure they have enough to cover any defects in the manufactured items, particularly since products created at the start/end of a run are more likely to be defective due to start-up errors. These components are often sold off at a reduced price as well.

As I said I know little of overstock.com, but I hope that explains.

What he said. Also, a grey market item may not be eligible for warranty or repair services from the mother company.

So for instance Casio or America may decline to repair a watch that was produced for sale in Japan.

MJB

Top Bottom