What's new

Thoughts after taking the R41 plunge

I picked up a sparkly new Muhle R41 with very high hopes. I have a thick beard, especially under my chin and jaw, and I've had trouble over the years reducing those areas to BBS. More aggressive razor + sharper blade = closer shave, right? Well, it may not be that simple (redundancy department of redundancy, anyone?).

Results: while the R41 does indeed offer a VERY close shave, it's not any closer or more comfortable than a good shave with my R89 after a few quick and easy touch ups. I made it through the first shave with minimal discomfort, and I'm sure that with more practice I'll come away with an even less distressed face. But, I gotta say, I'm damn good with my 89, and, my thoughts are, why mess with a good thing?

I can get an equally smooth shave with both, but with the 89, I don't have to be nearly as careful or mindful while making my passes, leading to an overall smoother and enjoyable shave. What are y'all's thoughts? Assured comfort with BBS, or assured BBS with fewer passes and more risk of blood?

Update: After day 2, I have revised my thoughts on the R41. For my second shave with this beast, I decided to try to use it in "steep angle mode" instead of the opposite, and boy, what a difference. I was able to get a closer shave than ever before, and with absolutely no irritation or cuts. I felt more in control of the cutting while using a steeper angle. It seems that this is the way the razor was designed to be used. Someone else said, and I agree, that if you use this razor with a shallow angle, it's as if the comb may as well not be there at all. Using a steeper angle allows the user to actively adjust how the blade is making contact with the whiskers much more effectively. It also seems to be a safer method of using the razor, as I didn't feel as if I was in danger of cutting myself at any time. Thanks for the advice, everyone. The R41 will surely me my go-to DE from now on.

Last edited:
I kind of agree. With care and proper prep I have had a few amazing shaves with my R41 but can't seem to replicate that consistently. I really like my shaves with my slants and they are a lot less fussy. I think my R41's will be lonely. Oh well.

I think you need to give the R41 more time. I've been using mine for a little over a month and shaves have gotten better right along. I think finding the right blade also makes a difference. My rotation before the R41 was a DE89, 34C, RR jaws and a new open comb. They are not seeing much use now. I shave daily and have what I would call a medium to heavy beard. I do like open comb razors best of all and the R41 is at the top of the list.

No matter what I did with my R41 I found it to be way too aggressive. I'd always end up with burn and redness, and I have very good technique. So I sold mine on B/S/T and picked up a Fatip OC razor. I was told the Fatip was a very aggressive razor, but I've found it to be an excellent shaver. Its smooth and very close, and I've never had any irritation from it. I'm sure this is a classic case of YMMV, but the R41 just wasn't a good razor for me.

The R41 is far and away the closest shaving razor in my DE rotation. I guess just chalk it up to YMMV.

I must disagree, personally. The R41, for me, after a lot of practice and refining of technique, yields a perfect BBS to which no shave from any other razor I've ever tried can quite compare. This is even bigger with the 2011 R41. But of course, ymmv.
I would , though, encourage you to keep using the R41 and hone your technique with it. It requires a bit of a different technique than most other razors. If you're really adventurous, check out our "steep angle" thread to learn about using that with your new R41. Have fun!!

I've had great results with the R41 & my Cobra Classic both.
I can get equally good shaves with both but the process with the Cobra is faster.
I don't have an issue with an extra few minutes either way, just an observation.

On the milder side I get great results with my Merkur 23c as well.

I came to the same conclusion and decided to stick with my edwin jagger de89. I do use my aggressive razors every once in a while but that's only because I paid for them.

Each to their own. It's always good to try a variety of razors and blade combination.

R41 is a very good razor but maybe not the one for you.

I just got one this week. Still a little nervous to try it. I think I need to practice my technique a little more first.

Nick

I don't think my R41 is overly aggressive; at least it's not the most aggressive razor I have.

I am currently trying to find my perfect, or at least preferred, blade. I've been picking one blade and rotating weekly through several different razors...some mild and some not. Anyway. a couple of times this week, with the R41, I had some pretty good nicks (a blood thinner does not help that situation). With the R41 I noticed that I had cut myself, but i never felt it at all. I guess that's a good thing. But then today, I shaved without mishap. I kept remembering what I read on one man's post responding to a newbie, "Less pressure, always less pressure." It works.

I guess my problem might be that when I still hear the razor moving over the whiskers that I might apply more pressure in order to get closer. I'm going to continue with the "less pressure" approach. Given that, and finding the optimum angle, I might do quite well with it. I do like the R41 a lot.

I also found that my R41, no matter what I did, was too aggressive. It was the only razor that I would ever accidentally slice myself with.

My R89 was beautiful to look at, but just a bit too mild to really get close shaves.

My Goldilocks razor was the Weber. Just a hair more aggressive than the R89, but absolutely no risk of irritation or nicks. I do get closer shaves consistently with it and sold off the rest.

I also like using a Feather (sharp blade) in the milder razors.

Glad you like it with the steeper angle! If I get a few days worth of hair on my face I actually use something like my EJ 89 model or my 34c to take control and reduction of the hair, but then I take the r41 to the skin as you've found for that smoooooth finish. Others think I'm crazy but it works for me. :thumbup1: Plus, I'm not often going that long between shaves but for a few long holiday weekends anymore.

Thanks for this post, it was a revelation! I got my R41 a month or two ago. The first shave left me feeling like I had scraped the hair off my face instead of shaving it, and since then I've been using a very shallow angle. The shaves are very close but it seems like I have to pay way too much attention while shaving and I always get a nick or two regardless. ATG on my lip and neck are always a challenge.

So after waking up and reading this I went with a very steep angle today. Wow! Huge difference! The shave was no closer than before but soooooooo much easier. The ATG pass was notably smoother. The only nick was on a mole because I had gotten a little cocky by the end of the shave.

After more than a year and a half, there's always something to learn here.

Scott

I have both versions of the R41 and could honestly go the rest of my shaving career using them as my only razors. I can use the newer version just like I would use any of my other razors. When using the original, I tend to pay more than the usual attention to what I'm doing, but that has not detracted from the shave.

The only time I get weepers, nicks, or cuts is when I am not paying any attention or do something w/o thinking about how I'm holding the razor. otherwise, no worries.

marty

The R41 has a learning curve. I've had a 2013 for about a year and when it was new I only used it maybe once a week and it always drew blood. Now I use it everyday and everyday I get a BBS shave. No pressure and the need for good lather is what the R41 taught me for a two pass shave. I like the R41 and methinks it's the best razor on the market. My other razors don't get much use now (38c, Mergress XL and Gillette Slim).

$IMG_6764.jpg
I Picked up a Muhle R41 head from Shaving.ie for about $25 shipped from Europe. Fast shipping...It was here in 5 days.
I paired it with my Bulldog handle, and have shaved with it about 10 times. I am finding the angle with it...using a shallow angle at present. I own 2 Old Types that I have success with the shallower angle.
I have followed the thread about the R41 and using a steeper angle...and will give it a go in the future.
No irritation with this beast. Had one nick on my adam's apple (a trouble spot for me) but otherwise all have been great shaves.
I don't have the "Jason Statham" beard. Just an average medium beard...
Love this razor. I like the feel of the OC's...the blade on my face.

Top Bottom