What's new

Fresh meat...

Hello fine gentlemen of The Nib,

I was warned about this place when I got here, so naturally curiosity got the best of me and here I am. I got a sample of ink and a bottle of ink as part of a passaround box so I figured I should come learn what the hell I'm doing!

I must admit, though, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the jargon and possibilities. Is there a newbie's guide to all of this? I have terrible handwriting (I'm definitely part of the computer generation), no experience with fancy pens unless they're ballpoint, and pretty much no budget to speak of. I guess what I'm looking for is a decent starter pen on the cheap side and maybe a guide/course of study on improving my penmanship so this isn't a total waste of ink.

Thoughts, gentlemen? :D

Welcome. Check out the stickies and some of the more experienced gents will be along to offer advice. The Pilot Metropolitan is a favorite among many as a beginner pen (~$15), Pilot 78G off the auction place for slightly less, or I just got a Jinhao 599 for <$7 for my son and am very impressed with it for the price though I have heard there are issues with Jinhao quality control. I prefer vintage and for a little more money (<$40) Esterbrooks or a Parker are good choices.

+1 to the Pilot 78G off of Ebay, usually around $10 with shipping. It's cheap and plastic without looking so and it's great for a beginner.

did you have a look at the Nib Wiki ? do you still have question ? i have some threads around that can help explain things as well as answer stuff here iff you are still not sure about things

trial by fire...just jump in with both feet and go buy something inexpensive from Goulet's pens, ink it up and start writing. The Wiki is great for learning the "jargon", hel...I mean heck, I don't even know ALL of it yet, lol. You're gonna do just fine, but when you do have questions...just ask :) Welcome to

$BE22AB8D-0E0A-408C-A1E2-A3CFB000C51F.jpg

Thanks a bunch guys, I'm looking forward to giving it a go. I skipped the wiki initially but ended up reading it for a primer, so thank you there. I almost bought a Metropolitan but I went with the 78G. I've got some ink ready to go, and looking for stationary now. The only thing left I'm not too sure about is how to write with better handwriting... Any tips??

Thanks a bunch guys, I'm looking forward to giving it a go. I skipped the wiki initially but ended up reading it for a primer, so thank you there. I almost bought a Metropolitan but I went with the 78G. I've got some ink ready to go, and looking for stationary now. The only thing left I'm not too sure about is how to write with better handwriting... Any tips??

There are lots of places for stationery, and I'm building an order at Crane & Co...so check them out. As for improving your handwriting, well we're ALL in that boat, lol. There are several "systems" out there to help and the one that comes to mind is Iampeth, and then there's the Palmer method. I've yet to take a course, but I've done many of the exercises prescribed, and search out videos on You Tube and just start writing, trying to emulate what I've seen. It's worked for me, and my handwriting has improved immensely since I first fell into the rabbit hole :)

Oh, and buy a journal...write in it everyday, and you'll see your handwriting improve over time. I still like looking at my first few weeks of journal pages, compared to how they look now. Probably the easiest tip to follow right from the start is to slow down and think about how each cursive letter is formed and how it connects/flows into the next. Go slow and try to form the letters and words correctly and once you relearn how to make each letter, speed will come back. There's really no "secret" per se, it's really just a matter of practice, practice and practice some more. Good luck, Mike and keep us posted on your progress...we like pictures too, especially when you have your first inktastrope :lol: Don't laugh...it's coming.

Inktastrophe, I like that! Hopefully it won't happen all over my bed, or nice work clothes. I plan to write in that journal in bed each night! :lol: I bookmarked the Iampeth site and a site with exercises from the Palmer method, so thanks for the tips there!

Goulets have a fountain pen 101 posted up on YouTube that may help to cut through the jargon and teach you a few tricks in the process.

Rick, what do you mean, "building an order"?

This is what happens when you develop an AD. Orders can get pretty big, and it takes time to make sure you have everything you "need." First, you go nuts adding a bunch of items to your cart. Next, you remove a few items in an attempt to be more reasonable. Finally, just before placing the order, you say, "screw it," and add the removed items back in. You know the AD is full blown if you have no remorse after the order ships. Then you wait impatiently. This typically involves posting to the acquisition thread before your items arrive and, in some acute cases, mentioning how long it's taking said items to arrive.

-Andy

Last edited:
This is what happens when you develop an AD. Orders can get pretty big, and it takes time to make sure you have everything you "need." First, you go nuts adding a bunch of items to your cart. Next, you remove a few items in an attempt to be more reasonable. Finally, just before placing the order, you say, "screw it," and add the removed items back in. You know the AD is full blown if you have no remorse after the order ships. Then you wait impatiently. This typically involves posting to the acquisition thread before your items arrive and, in some acute cases, mentioning how long it's taking said items to arrive.

-Andy

^^^^This^^^^ EXACTLY this, lol. Except I don't post to the acquisition threads as I don't want anyone to know just how deeply the AD has sunken it's teeth into my heart. Also, there are too many acquisition threads (fragrance, brown leaf, nib, soaps, brushes) that I'd have to update. And it's easier to deny the AD when you don't post about each item/s you pick up....posting it not only makes it real but it's also evidence, lol

^^^^This^^^^ EXACTLY this, lol. Except I don't post to the acquisition threads as I don't want anyone to know just how deeply the AD has sunken it's teeth into my heart. Also, there are too many acquisition threads (fragrance, brown leaf, nib, soaps, brushes) that I'd have to update. And it's easier to deny the AD when you don't post about each item/s you pick up....posting it not only makes it real but it's also evidence, lol

I forgot to mention the denial and self delusion phases. :smile:

-Andy

Top Bottom