What's new

5 gins any serious gin drinker ought to be drinking?

Have to admit I don't know much about Gin. But this is an interesting article from Food & Wine magazine nonetheless. For you Gin drinkers here, what do you think about the choices? Would you add anything?

Friends, it’s time we have a little chat about gin, partly because gin is the least-understood bottle in the bar, and partly because it’s one of the most subtle and beguiling spirits available. Though it’s now heavily associated with the UK, gin was actually invented by the Dutch. They dubbed it jenever, a name that was promptly shortened by a drunken Englishman.

Gin’s secret shame, of course, is that it’s actually the world’s first flavored vodka—a neutral grain spirit that’s distilled a second time with juniper and other botanicals. In the days before vodka drinkers flooded the bar scene, gin used to be the most popular clear spirit on the planet. It’s classic. Timeless. And if you give it a chance, it’s likely to surprise you.

Here are a few insidery brands you ought to be drinking:

Sipsmith London Dry ($40/ 750ml bottle)

proxy.php

In 2009, a new copper-pot distillery opened in London for the first time in nearly 200 years. The gin made there is Sipsmith, and it’s one of only two London dry gins actually made in the English capital. Delicate, herbaceous and smooth, with a peppery finish that’ll make your taste buds stand at attention, it’s ideal for a Negroni or a traditional gin and tonic.

Broker’s Premium London Dry ($25/ 750ml bottle)

proxy.php

The brand has been around since 1998, but the recipe is reported to be more than 200 years old, and with age comes character. Broker’s has achieved wonderful balance between citrus and spice. It’s made in a copper pot still in a lovely place near Birmingham, England. Why the copper? Well, it absorbs undesirable sulfur-containing compounds, reduces bacterial contamination and has excellent heat transferring properties—and those old pot stills sure are nice to look at.

Plymouth ($34/ 750ml bottle)

This sharp and citrusy gin is the only one in the world with its own appellation contrôlée—Plymouth Dry. That means by law Plymouth gin may be produced only within the city of Plymouth in Southwest England. Many say it’s the water that makes Plymouth so tasty. The River Dart runs through peat over granite, imparting interesting minerals. Plus, they use only the highest-quality juniper berries that grow wild on Italian hillsides.

Prairie Organic Gin ($20/ 750ml bottle)

proxy.php

By current industry standards, no spirits roundup is complete without the inclusion of at least one organically produced brand. So here you have it, straight outta Minnesota. This is a good starter gin. Light-bodied, with subtle hints of juniper and lemon, it will mix unobtrusively in virtually any cocktail.

Monkey 47 ($45/ 375ml bottle)

proxy.php

Launched in Germany in 2010, this daedal gin is just now making its way to America. Made with an array of unusual botanicals (abelmoschus moschatus, anyone?) sourced from India and the Black Forest among other places, Monkey 47 is unlike any gin on market. With every sip, there are myriad flavors jostling for position on the palate, from rosemary to lavender to burnt evergreen. It’s a delightfully nontraditional gin that begs to be experimented with in cocktails (see recipe below). The brand has a trippy backstory too, and comes in an apothecary-style bottle you’ll want to keep after you’ve drained the last drop, which you can do with this cocktail.
http://fwx.foodandwine.com/food/5-gins-any-serious-gin-drinker-ought-be-drinking

Last edited:
Sipsmith looks very interesting. I'll keep an eye out for it.
Prairie is made in my state and I know one of the managers of the bottling plant... too bad I can't get a free sample:( I've been debating about trying it, though currently I have a rather large bottle of New Amsterdam that I'm working on.

The recent market interest in craft and Old Tom gins is a good, good thing. London Drys are tasty but a change of pace isn't always bad.

Monkey 47
Martin Miller
Elephant Dry Gin (bonus the label goes nicely with Monkey 47)
Sacred Gin
Breuckelen Gin (I may be biased, they are local)

I want to try Caorunn Small Barch Gin, Gin by Battistella, and Brecon Special Reserve. Has anyone here tried any of these?

I'm a Bombay Sapphire / Hendricks man myself...but I've heard good things about Broker's, need to pick a bottle up.

I love Plymouth. Besides the Brokers though, I have never seen any of the others even at my reliable store for finding off the wall stuff like this. Unfortunate.

looked at the monkey, $50 for 375ml is a bit steep IMO, especially for something that I'll be mixing with :( It is a neat little bottle though. I was sitting at the display case going look at that cute wittle thang!

I haven't tried any of those mentioned in the article.

Tanqueray have just come out with an Old Tom that I'm looking forward to trying. Otherwise, I like their No. 10 and Rangpur lime. Also enjoy Hendrick's.

Back when eBay allowed alcohol sales, I picked up a bunch of miniatures so that I could sample various ones without breaking the bank. I wish there were an easy way to get a variety of minis.

The recent market interest in craft and Old Tom gins is a good, good thing. London Drys are tasty but a change of pace isn't always bad.

I know I am a bit late on this post but I have to agree. Anything to bring back classics, and well...just imagination rather than these fizzie/cosmo/fuzzy/sugary whatever it was these last twenty years. Gin is classic because it works. It is really nice to see people dedicated to not only promoting its use in classic drinks but distilling new versions with interesting botanical components.

Picked up a bottle of Plymouth last night, haven't had a chance to spin up a G&T as of yet. The NH State liquor store didn't have too much variety, not a surprise since gin isn't as popular with the masses as vodka (which owned about 25 linear feet of shelf, 4 shelves high).

Did see the Tanqueray Old Tom and Prarie brands, I may swing back for the OT before I head on home.

Top Bottom