What's new

Coffee Roasting Methods Discussion

There is no way to top a roast you do yourself.

I roasted some Sweet Maria's Guatemala Antigua Finca Retana 5 days ago and it still blows my mind how perfect this roast was.

Was going to roast again today as rain is forecast for tomorrow. I have enough roasted to go 2-3 days but I hate to run out (happened only once and I do not want it to happen again).

Moving away from manual/stove-top roasting to a more automated and better heat/time controlled roaster is a quantum leap in FUN....

Get a timer or stop watch as seconds count when you are roasting. The difference between full city and burned ash is 10-15 seconds.

I've had my 1600+ since the end of September and have probably over 300 roasts. For what it's worth, if you are having problems reaching 2C because of running out of time, hit the "C" that starts the Rosetta Stone time. What the manual doesn't tell you is that after you hit the C and the time is about run down, you can hit C again and the time goes back to start again (ie. if you have it set on 1/2 pound hitting the "C" sets the timer to 1:40 so if it runs down to, let's say 10 seconds left and you still haven't reached 2C or your desired roast level you can hit the C again and the timer goes back up to 1:40. I usually roast 9.5 oz in order to get 8 oz when done so I usually have to add time by hitting the C button an extra time or 2 in order to get into 2C if I want a dark roast. By the way, the Behmor still continues to cycle the heating elements on and off so there's no problem with over heating, assuming that you leave it on automatic instead of manual. Hope this helps.

I've had my 1600+ since the end of September and have probably over 300 roasts. For what it's worth, if you are having problems reaching 2C because of running out of time, hit the "C" that starts the Rosetta Stone time. What the manual doesn't tell you is that after you hit the C and the time is about run down, you can hit C again and the time goes back to start again (ie. if you have it set on 1/2 pound hitting the "C" sets the timer to 1:40 so if it runs down to, let's say 10 seconds left and you still haven't reached 2C or your desired roast level you can hit the C again and the timer goes back up to 1:40. I usually roast 9.5 oz in order to get 8 oz when done so I usually have to add time by hitting the C button an extra time or 2 in order to get into 2C if I want a dark roast. By the way, the Behmor still continues to cycle the heating elements on and off so there's no problem with over heating, assuming that you leave it on automatic instead of manual. Hope this helps.

But that is with the updated control board, right? Those of us with the older board don't have that option.

My roaster is coming up at one year and I have 62 roasts in the books. Have not bought roasted coffee since I've owned it. My little espresso set up is going strong too.

The new, still to be released Behmor looks pretty exciting, with an app for your phone and more control. I got a chance to check it out at the SCAA Specialty Coffee show in Seattle in April and talk to Joe again, but even though I'd heard rumors about a connected Behmor upgrade I decided to go ahead with the Behmor Plus board upgrade anyway. I think that it does give more control and has improved my roasting but it involved some re-learning as well. It wasn't too hard for me to install but I work on electronic equipment anyway and am used to taking things apart. (though the older I get the harder it is to see and get those little screws in and out)

This topic has sat a while so I might as well get it started again.

Roast #2 on a partially cleaned 1600. No more smoke during pre-heat but I do get a distinct "wood fire" odor when roasting.

This roast seemed like there was a lot of noise. Not sure where it is coming from (fans or drum motor).

Made a 2 cup Chemex with the roast (Colombian) this evening and the taste was good. Tomorrow I'll do a full pot in the Bunn.

I seem to have a bit of difficulty getting the drum into the hot (pre-heated) roaster with my welding gantlets on.

Are you pre-heating the drum and tray Mick? I usually preheat without the drum and tray, and don't wear any protective gear when I put the drum in. If I pre-heat everything I use a kitchen towel as a hot pad.

Are you pre-heating the drum and tray Mick? I usually preheat without the drum and tray, and don't wear any protective gear when I put the drum in. If I pre-heat everything I use a kitchen towel as a hot pad.

I did a 2 minute preheat with the tray installed. beans in the basket but basket outside of the roaster. The wire is so thin that it should not add enough "mass" to make a difference. The tray has enough mass that it might make a difference in temp if inserted cold.

The roaster did 2 minutes to manual stop then started right up with no need to unplug/reset. First roast was the same. 2 min preheat, stop, insert basket, start the roast.

There might be an issue with the drum motor as it almost stalls during the roast and it makes a fair amount of noise.

I might need to find something less awkward than welding gauntlets as there is not a lot of "extra" room around the drum when inserting it.

this little "toy" arrived today. Should be interesting :yesnod:

proxy.php

How is the + unit working out for you Mick? I'm loving mine.

I've found the manual controls for the Behmor are amazing and allow me to really dial in where I want my roast. Typically I do as suggested in the manual, start my roast at 1lb - Program 3 - Time Profile C - Start. As soon as the drum has made 1 rotation I hit P5 for 100% heat to the quartz and let the machine do it's thing. Typically the roast goes for about 13-14 minutes with a full lb in the drum before the first crack. I've then taken to using the C button the cut the time from what's left to the "second crack" timer built into the Behmor. I take the power profile down to match my desired roast. I managed to get an amazing FC roast out of some Brazilian Mokka Peaberry from the Bob-O-Link farms. This stuff is good.

What I've learned make big bits of differences on the Behmor 1600+ units are a couple of things:

1. Beans don't care too much how you get to the first crack, whether it be progressive steps or strait to as hot as possible
2. The amount of time you leave after the first crack is crucial. Using the C function to trim that time is great.
3. The heat profile you use in manual setting after the first crack is more crucial to the roast than anything else
4. The speed of the drum, D function in manual, doesn't really affect anything the best I can tell, though I'd lean on this if I was getting inconsistent roasts (marbled or otherwise not-the-same-roast-point of beans)
5. Leaving the roaster at full power after the first crack will give you a cajun roast
6. Using the power profile 4 in manual after the first crack will give you a Starbucks roast (if your starting temp is around 300-310)
7. Using the power profile 3 in manual after the first crack will give you a nice FC~
8. Using the power profile 2 in manual after the first crack will give you a nice C-C+
9. Using the power profile 1 in manual will give you a B-C roast
10. The machine has a killswitch at or around 320F.

Thanks for sharing this information. I've got the 1600+ and haven't done much experimentation with different power settings. I'll try going straight to 5 and see how that works out for me. The C button has saved a few roasts by allowing me to extend roast time.

Maiden voyage after new motors, new fans, main board, and a new control panel. Roast looks and smells fantastic. Tomorrow will tel when I do a pot of the Colombian I roasted in it today.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
It sounds like it's almost a brand new unit now Mick. I've changed a few parts on my original 1600 and it was very easy. Behmor has great instructions for DIY's.

Pretty much all the mechanical are new inside it now.

Made a pot of the Colombian that I roasted in it yesterday.

I think I have a winner here $bth_bf-coffee-smiley-1.gif

Last edited:
Just joined the Behmor club today. Picked up a used (old control panel) on craigslist for $225!

Can't wait for that deliver from Sweet Maria's to show up next week...

$IMG_20160712_205729.jpg
Roast #1 in the books!

Sumatra Mandheling - Aceh Triple pick from Sweet Maria's.

Roasted 1/2# at P1 temp for 13:30 (a few pops into second crack)

Top Bottom