What's new

BBS Urban myth?

Just wondering if anyone can say they get regular BBS shaves? By BBS I mean no facial or neck hair,including under the bottom lip, under the conk or around the Adam's apple can be felt by rubbing in "ANY" direction,and minimal irritation. I am getting great shaves at present but not BBS.,there are always a couple of spots where I can feel stubble afterwards,although only slight.My shaves are extremely comfortable these days but the BBS seems out of my league.That is if it is not an urban myth.Cheers Phil.:confused::confused:

IDK, I get BBS shaves when I take the time to do it. I got a great BBS shave today with a 6/8 W&B straight, 3 passes(n/s, s/n, atg) for most places and 4 passes (n/s, center out, out/center, s/n) for mustache/goatee area. It took a little longer than everyday at ~30min., but it was well worth it.
I can do the same with my Mercur HD, but a straight keeps me "in the moment" a little better.

It's a reality, you just might need to take more time, refine technique, and use more passes.

Oh, it can be done. It is done. But I do not think it is ever done quickly. The real trick is to be able to do it consistently; and that is something I just can not master.

Every day that I shave I get a BBS or my wife sends me back into the bathroom to get it right. She loves the BBS.

You should make a note of those spots you seem to miss and give them special attention.

Are you checking your face with your fingers while you are shaving?

If you can find stubble afterwards, you should be able to find it while still lathered up. Then go over those spots again before calling it done.

Good luck, and keep at it. It will come...

For me BBS is possible but undesirable. Reasons?

1. Takes too long
2. Doesn't look appreciably better on me
3. Doesn't allow for enough new growth to let me enjoy my next shave
4. Increased risk of nicks and irritation
5. My Dad never did it

If I use my slant I can get oh so close to a BBS with 4 passes, and a 5th pass eliminates anything left. So, like the others have said, BBS is not a myth. It's just not always necessary.

Certainly the question of whether a BBS is possible depends on how the beard grows on the individual in question. Some men have distinctly thinner and softer beard growth than others. For the former I have no doubt that a BBS is possible. For the latter, I'm not sure a BBS is always a realistic possibility.
Another factor is the direction of growth. I have two areas on my face (one on the neck) where the hair actually grows in a swirl, and though it is possible to shave in the direction of the growth, it is nearly impossible to shave against the grain to get it smooth in ALL directions.
So in general I think that the possibility of getting a BBS very much depends on your type of beard, and I think that while it is possible for some, it is effectively (i.e. without damage to the skin) impossible for others.

Regard,
Alex

Not a myth-it is much easier for me to get a BBS now that I know what I'm doing. I just have to pay attention to the equipment I'm using and make the necessary minor adjustments.

Marty

I get almost a BBS with every shave since I switched to straight razors, and can get one every time if I slow down and "be like Jonathon" deliberate and methodical.

Not a myth at all.

BBS to me means the perfect shave and its hard to do anything perfectly. I can come darned close though nearly every time if I pay attention to what I am doing and don't rush through the process.

I can get a BBS shave if I chose to take the time. Often, I will settle for three passes and a cleanup for any really rough areas... not BBS but very presentable.

I get a BBS about one day out of five. When I take the time. On the other had, to be totally honest, I don't really try to get BBS.

I tend to not go for BBS anymore as in the end it always causes irritation in one way or another. The worst feeling is having a perfect BBS shave and going out to exercise later only to have your face burning from the irritation of sweating on top of a BBS shave. I ride a bike to work so this is not really an option for me. So not an urban myth IMO just not always desirable. Just my .02

Chief

I can get BBS, but I don't go for it around the mouth area and down from the corners at 45 degree angles. I can get it, and it feels great, but I get so many ingrowns that's it's not worth it.

I think I've gotten every place BBS, but not all in the same shave.

I can't get bbs no matter what. So I've just resigned to have a pretty smooth face and bbs in very select locations. I want to try hydrolast products to see if that makes a difference but I'm too skeptical to pay that much money.

I get BBS with kyles prep, and no other way. I normally get pretty close save for 2 spots on my neck, but I don't normally think BBS is the be all and end all of shaving, comfort and enjoyment are much more important to me. YMMV

Definitely possible, but sometimes not desirable. I go for a BBS shave once, maybe twice a week tops. Anymore than that, then I'm standing by for some serious razor bumps :mad: As always, YMMV

I can get it everywhere but I only routinely do it for the chin, cheeks and neck. I don't press it with my 'stache and sideburns because they don't look any better BBS.

I have a damned if you do/damned if you don't problem though. From a distance, BBS leaves a more apparent shadow (I have very dark facial hair). But if if I don't do BBS there is always a bit of an unshaved look to my chin and neck close up.

All that said, I've sported an Elizabethan goatee (chin beard and mustache separate with no handle bars) for about a month now and I find this takes the focus off the rest of the facial hair to the point that BBS is not required anywhere.

Top Bottom