What's new

Coffee Roasting Methods Discussion

Got everything talking but there are a few glitches in the software default settings and a couple of other issues that I can clear up.

Got to roast one today using Artisan but then the fan would not turn on so I had to "revert to seat of the pants" roasting since I could not control the fan and had to try to move quickly by using the burner to control temp with a heater drop instead of a rapid fan temp controlled drop. Pain and not what I wanted to do today :sad:

All in all not bad until I hit the eject button and the roaster went stone dead (lost power with the beans in it).

Had to unplug the USB connection to the computer, unplug and plug back in the roaster, remove the chafe tray (to make the roaster happy) start it which put it into cool down then hit the eject which dumped the beans.

I got about 45 seconds more roast time than I wanted but the beans came out just fine as I planed on dropping at city and I got just over but not quite city +

Now to fix what is broken and try again next week <sigh>

All in all I am happy with how things turned out.... a few bumps to level but for the most part NICE

During preheat I find that the BT (bean temp probe - T1 on the LCD), ET (environmental/internal probe - T2 on the LCD) and RT (factory roaster probe temp reading from the roaster control panel) are all circling each other.

BT probe is below the roaster probe and the ET probe is above it and during preheat I got the readings (below in pic). 190 from the machine probe. 190 from the bean probe (just below the machine probe). 201 from the chamber (ET) probe which is just above the machine probe. Pretty accurate I would say. I expected the higher mounted probe to read a higher temp from the top of the chamber than what I would get lower down in the roasting chamber.

proxy.php

Profile was looking very good (almost straight line) until I found out the computer would not talk to the fan then all ^$#!! broke loose and things started souring a bit. I concentrated on THE BEANS not the problem with the software and ended up with a good roast even though I had software/hardware issues. You can see in the graph where I pulled the plug on everything (graph drops like a rock to zero) to get the roaster back to manual control so I could get the beans out before they were ruined.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I think this is how I will set the cart up. I need to drill some holes and put some up facing bolts so that I can slide the roaster feet over the bolt shafts to keep it stable and not fall off the cart when I move it in and out. Other than that and the few software/hardware glitches. IR DONE.... well maybe I need to get something a little less industrial than my Lenovo SSD speed demon lappy to run everything with.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Wow Mick, your modification saga is not for the faint of heart. It's stinks that you've had so many hiccups along the way, but it does look like you're making some progress.

I see from your roast plot that your thermocouples are reading a little low. Did you "calibrate" them before installing them? Just curious. I did a side-by-side with my Thermapen and my T/C wires were with 1.5*F of the pen (good enough for me). I still see a first crack ~360*F, which seems low, but its dead-nuts consistent. I get FC within 5*F of 360 in just about every run.

Good luck and wishing your more success in the next run.

I want to hear what YOU have to say about your Behmor :yesnod:

I'm still fighting with the modifications I've tried to do......

Give me a little more time to dial it in. I've only done the four 1/4lb roasts that they suggest you do first. My initial impression is that you will need more time than what is suggested. Pretty consistent with everything I've read so far.

I want to hear what YOU have to say about your Behmor :yesnod:

I'm still fighting with the modifications I've tried to do......

Give me a little more time to dial it in. I've only done the four 1/4lb roasts that they suggest you do first. My initial impression is that you will need more time than what is suggested. Pretty consistent with everything I've read so far.

Wow Mick, your modification saga is not for the faint of heart. It's stinks that you've had so many hiccups along the way, but it does look like you're making some progress.

I ended up with a unit just before some big changes so had to burn another aArtisan into the TC4C and the board needs a new prom with the new coding in it which should get here within a week.

TC4C is flashed to aArtisan 3.0 now and I am running the latest 0.8.0 roast software. I do not need to roast again for a few days but Looking forward to seeing how all of the changes I've made to the hardware firmware work out

I can say one thing. I am becoming intimate with the programing of the hardware and the setup of the software, that's for sure. Been feeding coding directly to the TC4C using the Arduino serial monitor and the UDI interface. Not a lot of fun but very interesting.

I see from your roast plot that your thermocouples are reading a little low. Did you "calibrate" them before installing them? Just curious. I did a side-by-side with my Thermapen and my T/C wires were with 1.5*F of the pen (good enough for me). I still see a first crack ~360*F, which seems low, but its dead-nuts consistent. I get FC within 5*F of 360 in just about every run.

Good luck and wishing your more success in the next run.

I was just poking at the events buttons and the time and temp of 1st crack is not actually where it happened. I never did get to second as I dump before that. BUT since I did my second roast via the "seat of the pants" method that was the only graph so far. I found it interesting that the temp swing was not all that great from drop to when I had to pull the plug and manually get the beans out.

I checked the probes against the probe set that came with my Amprobe TMD-56 and thermapen and they were spot on (within 1º between all of them). I ended up using aircraft thermocouples and sent back the other sets that were too long to go inside the roaster.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Lot's of posts lately on the purchase of roasters. Time maybe to dedicate an area to the concept of "what next" where we discuss how to develop our roasting skills and modifications we make to the base roasters. As a moderator of this forum I will attempt, with the advice of our stewards, to copy or move new related threads here.

I'm liking the idea and will be viewing regularly.

It's alive.... It's alive.....

spent a few hours with the roaster and both pieces of software and voila.... I now have it set up and it works (except for the shut down at eject which a new HTC rom/cpu will resolve.

won't be roasting again until the end of the week as I still have two half pounds of east African ready to brew.

hee hee hee hee!!!! My Birthday/Graduation/Father's Day gift is finally in the mail!!!!

8# of green, bags, roasting log.... GREAT price on all of that AND a roaster too!!!!!

I know some one who will be a busy boy for a while :yesnod:

which bean mix did you get (regular, decaf, or espresso)?

Looking forward to updating my Behmor 1600 with the new panel and having some extra control over the roast. Behmor is already very user friendly as far as roasting, but this will really add to the experience, IMHO. I'm sure, as with anything, there will be some experimenting and some disasters, but once dialed in, can only help achieve a more accurate roast.

8# of green, bags, roasting log.... GREAT price on all of that AND a roaster too!!!!!

I know some one who will be a busy boy for a while :yesnod:

which bean mix did you get (regular, decaf, or espresso)?

Half regular, half decaffeinated. Friday will be fun for sure! I have a football-crazy friend coming over while my wife and her friends throw his wife a baby shower down the street. I'm gonna learn about world cup soccer while he learns about roasting!!

Top Bottom