What's new

Beginner's guide to shaving with a safety razor

I think a lot of us who are newly returned (or totally new) to wet shaving with a safety razor have the same impulse: to summarize everything we've learned to make it easier for those who come after. On my blog I have a long post, frequently revised and augmented, that covers everything I've learned. Take a look if you're interested.

My God, it never ends. I just added links to two different blade-disposal containers for used razor blades (for those of you who buy your blades in bulk). Of course, you can make your own, but these are rather nifty, and the Stanley should last a LONG time: one gallon capacity. Even if it's a US gallon rather than an Imperial gallon, that's a lot of blades. :001_smile

Very good point. I'll drop the reference and also send a note to Classic Shaving. You'll note that I also (in the post) suggest putting the head of the razor on the cheek with the handle perpendicular to the face (parallel to the floor) and gradually bringing the handle down...

I just received my DE razor and cream and badger hair from England.
Im at work right now and really eager to try wetshaving for the first time by myself besides going to a barber.
Your blog really answered a lot of my questions :001_smile ,
Thanks!

Lancerr said:
I just received my DE razor and cream and badger hair from England.
Im at work right now and really eager to try wetshaving for the first time by myself besides going to a barber.
Your blog really answered a lot of my questions :001_smile ,
Thanks!
Congrats on your new gear, just make shure that you allow your self ample time for your first shave, as they say, slow and steady wins the race.
Cheers, DJ.

I'm glad the post was helpful, Lancerr. After this first shave, let me know of anything that I failed to cover that you wish that I had. Also, please tell us how it went. Also, the details: razor, blade, brush, cream or soap, etc....

Michael

Well, when I got home friday night, I thought it'd be the best time to try it out so my cuts in the face would be gone by the time I went back to work monday.
Surprisingly, no cuts what so ever, all smooth.
2nd go around, yeah... cuts. I used the shaving cream and almost did it exactly the same as my first go around. I think I used a bit too much pressure to get the hard to get spots.
However, this morning, 2nd go around with no cuts, and a smooth nice shave, going slow and having patience was the key, and applying no pressure.
I've became a man! at the age of 23:bored: ...:lol: .
Tools:
Vulfix pure badger brush: $35.
Salter Luxury shaving cream: $20.
DE razor blade from England: $25.
smooth feeling in the face nothing like no other: priceless :001_rolle .

I haven't had the chance to order alum block or a nice after shave.
any suggestion on those would be nice.
Thanks again.

The long post has a link to an Alum Block sold by Classic Shaving for $10. It comes in a plastic box, which is handy. There's also a link to the 4-pass shaving method, which I really like because, combined with a light touch and the proper angle, you progressively reduce the stubble---I think by taking a little at a time, one's less likely to get nicks and cuts, and the end result is really smooth.

For aftershave, there are a lot of choices:

Thayer's Rose Petal Witch Hazel (alcohol free) is quite nice and the fragrance doesn't linger.

Pashana has a good fragrance, which does linger.

Bay Rum is fun, and the Pinaud's 12.5 oz plastic bottle will make a fine blade safe once you've used it up.

The Proraso pre- and after-shave cream (paste, as one person said) is good in both roles. Use only a tiny amount.

I have other suggestions in the long post.

Sounds like you had a fine time. Congratulations!

Top Bottom