What's new

Modern Williams.

... anyone else find it gives a good shave, but the lather sucks?
I've been using it with good results, but the lather starts to go away before you can even get the razor to your face.

Personally, I get a very dense, nice and lasting lather from it very easy. I find it does lack in the slickness department, but in the end gives me a great shave. Unfortunately, afterward it leaves me quite red for many hours. I thought maybe it was a blade thing, but a week of Williams with various blades produced the redness each day.

Personally, I get a very dense, nice and lasting lather from it very easy. I find it does lack in the slickness department, but in the end gives me a great shave. Unfortunately, afterward it leaves me quite red for many hours. I thought maybe it was a blade thing, but a week of Williams with various blades produced the redness each day.

Funny, I get the exact opposite, a weak, sudsy lather that is slick

I revisited my Williams puck a few months back. The lather sucked, and so did the shaves. It makes a very nice bath soap, though.

Williams is the thirstiest soap ever. This is not an exaggeration. When I use my Williams, I start with about 2 tablespoons of water in the bottom of my bowl, and then proceed with my normal lathering procedure (wet brush, 2 shakes, apply to soap, swirl 10 seconds, work the soap in the bowl for about a minute, swirl again for about 10 seconds, work the soap again until lather develops properly, usually another minute).

If your Williams isn't working for you, try adding water.

I just whipped you up an example:

$williams.jpg

Last edited:
That's one of THE polarizing subjects on this forum, with members in the pro-Williams, anti-Williams, and Williams-neutral camps.

The reason in my opinion is that the formula changed when Combe took over the company, from one that was as easy as any other brand to lather to one that takes longer to lather and evaporates on your face. But, there are Williams supporters out there who contend that it's easy for them to lather and/or performs better when lathered properly. Personally I don't like the current soap, and tried a vintage puck which I liked very much.

Another polarizing subject here is Badger vs. Boar brushes. I could be perfectly happy with either one. I used to be strongly in favor of badger but really like the qualities of each of them.

As far as I'm concerned, it enriches the shaving experience to play the field and try the things that are generating the most conversation. Whatever you decide is your favorite, there will be plenty of people who feel the same way.

... anyone else find it gives a good shave, but the lather sucks?
I've been using it with good results, but the lather starts to go away before you can even get the razor to your face.

None of what you describe would be chalked up as a "good shave".

I have no desire to deal with the drying disappearing lather of Williams. Far too many other superior products, to suffer through this crap. The current formulation of Williams is useless. The vintage formulations were stellar though!!

None of what you describe would be chalked up as a "good shave".

A good shave is when you get less irritation and closer cutting. Good lather is one part of one path to that destination. What he described was not good lather but did not preclude a good shave.

Anyway I don't know how people are getting this drying Williams lather, mine always stays around...but my style differs from normal in ways that may help. I shave in the shower with the water running, I fully hydrate my lather when making it (keep in mind that Williams is more thirsty than others), and I re-apply lather to places where the razor has been.

I got my B&B golddigger brush in and broke it in on modern Williams. Found if I loaded for a minute that I'd get great lather. It definitely was a thirst soap though. The day before I used my Monarch badger and it created decent lather as well, although the boar certainly did it easier.

For the shave itself, it was average compared to all the soaps I've tried, so not bad bang for your buck.

I kind of hate the smell though.

Top Bottom