What's new

Feather AS-D2 and Popular

I bought both of these razors and had mixed results shaving with them. I heard that both were mild razors, and that was true with the AS-D2, but I felt a lot of irritation after using the Popular. I used the same routine and feather blade with both. I used Proraso green pre shave underneath my TOBS lavender cream which I face lathered with my Prince Silvertip. I did a typical 3 pass shave followed by a cold rinse and a splash of Old Spice. The AS-D2 shave wasn't the smoothest I've had, but it was probably the most comfortable I've had since I started DE shaving. The Popular shave left me with a lot of irritation and plenty of burn when I put on the Old Spice, although it was smoother. I guess I prefer the AS-D2, and it will probably be in my regular rotation, I'm not sure about the Popular. I'll probably give it at least one more try before giving up on it.

Last edited:
I recommend using each razor for a couple of weeks straight to allow you to figure out the most optimal shaving technique for each. I found both razors to be capable of giving very good irritation free shaves.

I recommend using each razor for a couple of weeks straight to allow you to figure out the most optimal shaving technique for each. I found both razors to be capable of giving very good irritation free shaves.

Definitely, I'll use them at least a couple more times before completely making my mind up.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Bumping this one back up (again, another Feather razor thread, I know...).

I bought a Feather Popular because it's inexpensive and thought it would give me an idea on the AS-D2 before I buy one. My face feels a bit itchy at the moment after the first shave. The shave was all right but not smooth. I did get a BBS shave and no irritation. I am very surprised for a $20 cheap DE. The build is better than the Weishi that I had even if the Feather has plastic parts.

I need to use the popular more before I can definitely say it's great, ok or bad. However, if the head geometry is similar on the AS-D2, it should be a much better shave (AS-D2) because of the weight. If the AS-D2 has that legendary smoothness that I keep reading, it would be then, a fantastic razor...

If you do have some experience with both razor, please, do comment on it as I'm very interested about it.

If, by head geometry, you are referring to gap- then yes. I would say they are close. I found the popular to give a nice shave. As expected though -D2,is a better experience. They weight of the razor certainly helps it to "glide" easier. Not to be overlooked though, the design of the popular is a bit thicker. In the popular you get TTO vs. the 3 piece D2. That extra bulk of the Twist opening top makes things a little unwieldy. By comparison the D2 is sleeker, and easier to move about, especially in tight areas, like upper lip, under the nose. I find I can nail the angle a bit easier with the D2, as it is heavier, yet more compact. In terms of aggressiveness, I would say they are very similar, MILD. This works for me, especially when shaving every day. If you find popular to be an excessively mild shave for you, I don't think you will find -D2 to be any better in that (aggressiveness) regard. Easier to use, more fluid of movement, better quality of the shave- yes. And for 10X the price I would hope so. Of course, popular while being a nice shaver, with the plastic & moving parts, it may not last a full year of use. As-D2 = Generations! Not to mention impeccable build quality.

FYI, D2 is my go to razor, with feather blades. Both razors tame the sharpness of the feather blade, resulting in smooth cutting & lees irritation for me. My ikon OSS gets considerably less use, while the Webber w/ red persona is a also a good combo for me. Slightly more aggressive & still very smooth operator. With several days growth the weber does a good job, not that I cant get there w/ the feather, just may need another pass. If I had to do it again? A redounding yes, I would purchase the DS-2 again. Hope this helps w/ your decision. $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410902091.283085.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410902294.465197.jpg

I've used both multiple times since making the OP, and I prefer the Popular to the AS-D2. they're both mild razors, but the AS-D2 is a little too mild for my liking.

I can only speak about my experience with my AS-D2. I've had it for about three weeks no and I absolutely love the razor. I definitely prefer a mild razor, having sensitive skin and a moderate density beard. I started with a Merkur 34C, which is a great razor, but I the AS-D2 immediately became my daily shaver. It's extremely easy to use and I get a DFS on two passes. I have a pretty sharp jawline and the AS-D2 negotiates the angle with no problem. I use Astra SPs and they're a great match for the AS-D2 and my face.

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
Thanks gents, appreciated.

I'm still surprised from the quality of the shave that I've got this morning.

The razor is mild but a sharp blade compensates

I think the difference is due to razor balance. The Popular is very handle light compared to the SS. I find when I use a too shallow angle the popular seems to act irrationally and may even cut you. The OP probably used a slightly different or variable angle with the Popular due to the lighter handle.

Luc

Staff member
Shave #2 done. I will use this one with a few blades but so far, very good.

Like any TTO razor, the tightness of the TTO mechanism on the blade changes the blade angle. If I turn the dial to the max, the blade angle changes a lot compared to a "gentle squeeze". The AS-D2 wouldn't probably have as much room or play.

Gillette did recommend, at your own risks, back in the days, to loosen the handle 1/4 turn if you were looking for a "more aggressive" shave.

I will try the Feather again tomorrow with a dial turned to the max (without killing the razor, it's plastic after all) as I think that mine was looser than it should be. Thinking it's plastic, I don't want to damage it so the blade angle might be different. Regardless if it is, the Popular is a very nice razor for the price.

The shave is, again, BBS and it was like that for 1/2 the day which really, doesn't happen normally (Merkur 38c, British NEW). I will post back here after a few shaves. I do think that the AS-D2 might be a very viable option for me but I want to explore the popular more, first.

Luc

Staff member
A few more shaves down the road. It's a very nice razor. Regardless if it's made of plastic or not, I think that would be an awesome starter razor. It works well, I had to adjust the angle a bit and voilà! If the AS-D2 is the same but stainless, I'm in business!

Top Bottom