What's new

My restore que just got WAY longer!

Here is the next installment. An ebay Wade & Butcher 6/8" whale back that I assume is a regrind in bone scales.
Dismantled and ready for refurbishment.
$102_1276.jpg

The pivot hole was corroded to a very large size and was allowing the blade to slide toward the wedge enough to interfere with closing on my first attempt at pinning. I filed down a brass screw to fit the hole, peened it into place and filed and sanded it flush the tang. Then I drilled a slightly oversized hole where I figured the original hole had been. Not sure whether this was ingenious or foolhardy. Seemed to work though.
$104_1287.jpg

All polished up and ready for honing. Enjoy!
$104_1290.jpg
$104_1291.jpg
In this last pic, the razor is not fully closed.
$104_1292.jpg

A 13/16" Wostenholm "Hollow Ground" that I picked up at a local antique store. Some DEEP pits on the spine and lots of devil's spit. I cleaned it up as much as I could without obliterating the etch and the tang stamp. Since the blade wasn't going to get a showroom finish, I reused the original horn scales and wedge. The "character" of the blade and scales are about equal. Not great, but not too bad either.

Before:
$102_1282.jpg

After:
$104_1294.jpg
$104_1295.jpg
$104_1297.jpg

Great pictures, Dave. Nice touch to see the ponies in the distance. I'm looking forward to the restoration!
Thanks, Cap. I thought you'd enjoy that, I usually ride the black and white pinto. And that is as far as I feel I can take the "restoration" without eliminating the identifying marks on the blade and tang, unless you were talking about the deck needing restoration.

Great thread, Dave!

Thanks, Dane.

Last edited:
Thanks, Cap. I thought you'd enjoy that, I usually ride the black and white pinto. And that is as far as I feel I can take the "restoration" without eliminating the identifying marks on the blade and tang, unless you were talking about the deck needing restoration.

Thanks, Dane.
Aye, I wasn't sure if you had some custom scales in the works or not. Then again, I guess it wouldn't be worth the trouble. As far as the deck goes, I love the weathered look!

It has been a while since my last completed razor. Busy with other projects. The scales for this razor also put up quite a fight.

Here is the before shot. A 13/16" W&B very hollow ground (the one on top, obviously). I was informed that this is a regrind by a couple of knowledgeable gentlemen. Thanks for the heads up.
$102_1268.jpg

Here it is all polished up and in a new pair of shoes. Spalted oak burl with brass liners and a horn wedge.
$104_1308.jpg
$104_1311.jpg

Since the above pics didn't do the grain of the scales justice, another shot inside with flash. I was a much better photographer with film and manual focus.
$104_1302.jpg

Last edited:
My nephew recently became interested in trying a straight razor and asked my mother about a family heirloom that he remembered seeing. Well since I am not willing to part with my great grandfather's razor (the one pictured on the bottom), I restored and rescaled the Shumate from the barber's lot (#8 on the original list) and used the scales from the Waterville (#16 on the original list). A fairly good resemblance and should make a nice first razor.
$IMG_20141018_142137_900.jpg

Just out of curiosity, how many are left for a restore, Dave?
There are five that still require attention from the original batch. I received three more with my last hair cut, plus antique store finds and a few from the bay leaves over twenty on my bench, including yours.

For yours, I was thinking of cherry burl scales with a mule deer antler wedge. Still trying to figure out how to get the base knurl of a small antler to work well with the size of the blade.

Top Bottom