What's new

Need some help here an electric razor. I know, I know there is a good reason for this

My Grandpa has shaved his head with a razor for nearly as long as I can remember. Unfortunately, he has recently gotten to the point where he no longer can do this with an actual razor. Like any true gentleman, he prides himself on a sharp appearance and self reliance.

Can anyone recommend and good quality electric razor for shaving your head. Money isn't an issue, quality is.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide. I was pretty saddened by the need to ask the question.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Don't be saddened at all. There's a good reason for it.

Sadly I can't offer any advice on electric shavers. But hopefully someone comes along soon.

My suggestion is to go to a beauty supply store and get a set of clippers and guards. Its the best quality for dollar you can spend. The staff there will/should have knowledge on products and maintenence. What you get will be better than anything you will find at department store.

Or ask your hair stylist, or have your wife/other ask theirs. They shave heads all day long.

I don't have any suggestions for you, other than to take a moment and reflect on the manner in which your grandfather is handling the changes that life and age bring. Bravo!

Sir, go to a beauty supply store and get a trimmer, ask the salesperson behind the counter. The blades are stronger, the motor is bigger. Simply put it is the right tool for the job. While a razor might do in a pinch. If you buy the right one the first time... It will last a single person 20 plus years. my suggestion is a wahl that plugs into a socket. The sales person can explain how to clean, oil, and how the guard system works.

It will probably look something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/Wahl-79524-25...&qid=1401913744&sr=1-2&keywords=hair+clippers

Best of luck,

Lucas.

i just looked at your header. If you are close to your grandpa in location, I bet you could work with a barber on base and during a smoke break on and iPhone or iPad help you pick one on amazon and even walk you thru how to care for it.

again best of luck....

Lucas

Prior to true wet shaving, I used to shave with a Braun 3-series as it is a wet/dry electric (you can shave with shaving cream). I have personally found Braun to work better for me than Panasonic or Norelco (or Remington).

Plus, he can lather with a brush and soap/cream, which may lead to trying a safety razor (like me!). :thumbup:

Before I switched to a DE, I was using a Norelco Wet/Dry: http://amzn.to/1i3O8nB

It's a decent razor when used dry, but with cream and water, this is the closest shave I've gotten with an electric. Very much a DFS every time. You use it like a regular wet shave razor. Lather up, shave a part, rinse, shave apart, repeat. The battery life on them is looooong. Like 50 hours, if I remember. Which, when you're just using it a few minutes at a time, lasts forever.

My suggestion is a Panasonic. The one I prefer is:

Panasonic ES8103S Men's 3-Blade (Arc 3) Wet/Dry Rechargeable Electric Shaver with Nanotech Blades, Silver.

The recent one I picked up was from Amazon. I have used the above with lather and dry. Either way, it delivers a fine electric shave. And if you use it with lather, it shaves even closer than when used dry.

I wish your Grandfather the best. You're a good and caring grandson.

The clipper suggestion is fine, if your grandfather doesn't mind having a stubble. I use a five-aught blade (the closest cut besides a trimmer) on an Oster Classic 76, and I would estimate it leaves me with the equivalent of a two- or three-day stubble after a blade shave. As far as trimmers go, the Classic 76 is at the top of the field.

However, if your grandfather wants a true, skin-close shave, clippers aren't what he's looking for. He'll want an actual electric razor. I agree with DEGuy that Panasonic wet/dry arc shavers are the way to go. Again, top of the field, imo. They're also considerably easier to maneuver than clippers.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Jason; I have 2 battery operated foil head razors you might want to consider for not much money. Both are capable of shaving wet.
Micro Force $10
Braun M-60 $20

If he was shaving his head, gnerally hair clippers aren't going to do it even without a guard. As previously mentioned, bueaty/barbers supply and you want an outline trimmer style. Explain what it is for and they should be able to hook you up. Get a professional model and some clipper/mineral oil. I've been through three sets of Oyster's from the PX before I got out and just went to shaving. Due to shrinking realestate it took about the same amount of time in the shower, LOL

My suggestion is a Panasonic. The one I prefer is:

Panasonic ES8103S Men's 3-Blade (Arc 3) Wet/Dry Rechargeable Electric Shaver with Nanotech Blades, Silver.

The recent one I picked up was from Amazon. I have used the above with lather and dry. Either way, it delivers a fine electric shave. And if you use it with lather, it shaves even closer than when used dry.

I wish your Grandfather the best. You're a good and caring grandson.

Get a Panasonic; they work extremely well wet or dry.

marty

Top Bottom