What's new

The new "King Cobra" razor from Classic

Classic Shaving announced their new, improved Cobra razor - the "King Cobra" - today. It's a nice-looking razor that appears (in pics, anyway) to be a higher-quality item than the original "Cobra". I think it's quite pricey at $240. You can check it out here:

http://www.classicshaving.com/the-k...edium=email&utm_term=0_293ac5ca39-ba09c72cc0-
[LIST_EMAIL_ID]&ct=t%28King+Cobra%29&goal=0_293ac5ca39-ba09c72cc0-
[LIST_EMAIL_ID]&mc_cid=ba09c72cc0&mc_eid=[UNIQID]#.U44DLihQMrV

They also announced that more regular Cobras will be available soon.

Neat, but I didn't realize those went for so much. Is it stainless steel? Plating over Brass?

It doesn't look like stainless steel, it looks like chrome, so I'm sure they just used the same chrome over brass as the original cobra. They might be taking advantage of the "Feather AC blade single edge" market monopoly they have, based on the delayed releases of competitors. I am a Cobra owner and lover, but there is no way I'd pay that much for essentially the same thing with a different handle. TBH, I like the old handle better, looks slicker, with that snake belly, way cooler. This one reminds me of the Super Adjustable's, and the progressive "cheapening" of Gillette Quality.

Makes it look more like a cartridge razor than the old one did, IMO.

still a nice looking razor.

Tried it for a few shaves. Prefer my DE's, but to each his own.

well that was a disappointment. It looks kinda cheap. And $240 seems to be very overpriced. I the cobra classic is one of the most beautiful razors out......this is not even close to an improvement. BIG THUMBS DOWN!

Yup, it is, but I started this thread in the DE section as well as the SE because I figured that a lot of guys who own nothing but DE razors, myself included, also own or are interested in the Cobras.

+1 for this. I have never shaved with a Cobra, but how good can it be? For that price, the whiskers should just jump off your face when the razor gets nigh.

It does look interesting but doesn't get me excited enough to spend $240 on it.

It is like any indulgence; the person acquiring it (in this case, me) thinks that there is enough of a difference to the product that it becomes worth it to the individual (in this case, me).

I typically dont chase unicorns; discontinued tallow soaps, premier-tier shave brushes (exception: I lust for a genuine ivory handle), or vintage razors. I enjoy using the Cobra Classic that I have and I like long handled razors, so giving this a try is something that I can and want to do.

I COMPLETELY understand that a majority of the population would not derive the same cost-benefit conclusion as I did; the same way that I cant connect with spending the same amount of money on something that is non-durable, like a sporting event, a concert or even a bottle of fine liquor (I am looking at you Pappy Van Winkle!)

Then again, the majority of the population shaves with canned goo and cartridge razors – and I know that they are wrong.

Very well said.

It is like any indulgence; the person acquiring it (in this case, me) thinks that there is enough of a difference to the product that it becomes worth it to the individual (in this case, me).

I typically dont chase unicorns; discontinued tallow soaps, premier-tier shave brushes (exception: I lust for a genuine ivory handle), or vintage razors. I enjoy using the Cobra Classic that I have and I like long handled razors, so giving this a try is something that I can and want to do.

I COMPLETELY understand that a majority of the population would not derive the same cost-benefit conclusion as I did; the same way that I cant connect with spending the same amount of money on something that is non-durable, like a sporting event, a concert or even a bottle of fine liquor (I am looking at you Pappy Van Winkle!)

Then again, the majority of the population shaves with canned goo and cartridge razors – and I know that they are wrong.

I had a cobra for about two weeks, it was decent but nothing spectacular. Sold it, the finish on it could be better as well. As for the king Cuba, 240? not a chance. Raising the price on the regular Cobra kinda stinks as well.

My King Cobra razor arrived today. I have the original Cobra Classic and I always felt the handle was a little short. The King Cobra definitely feels more substantial and overall appears more solidly built compared to Cobra Classic. Installing Feather Pro Guard blades into the Cobra Classic is a little tricky since there are guides or ridges on the end of the blade plate. The King Cobra appears to lack these ridges or at least they are not as pronounced compared to the Cobra Classic, so installing Pro Guards was a little easier on the King Cobra. The overall fit and finish appears improved on the King Cobra, but it is not at the same level as a Feather AS-D2.

I had a cobra for about two weeks, it was decent but nothing spectacular. Sold it, the finish on it could be better as well. As for the king Cuba, 240? not a chance. Raising the price on the regular Cobra kinda stinks as well.

Raising the price on an item that regularly sells out quickly after each batch appearance would seem to be prudent capitalism rather than stinky.

Top Bottom