What's new

Elite Razor - Custom and Unique Razors and Brushes

I just finished a new feather handle made from Chukar Partridge feathers.

The Chukar Partridge is a Eurasian upland game-bird in the pheasant family. This partridge has well marked black and white bars on the flanks and a black band running from the forehead across the eye and running down the head to form a necklace that encloses a white throat. The Chukar is the National bird of Pakistan and its name is derived from Chakor in Sanskrit. In Indian mythology, the Chukar sometimes symbolizes intense, and often unrequited, love. It is said to be in love with the moon and to gaze at it constantly.

This unique handle was cast by John Underhill, an award winning feather artist and resin caster. Each feather is painstakingly placed prior to casting in crystal clear acrylic resin. This is truly a “one of a kind” piece as, just like snowflakes, each feather has a different pattern, color shade and character.

proxy.php

I have also added to my site a Perisan Jar Buckeye burl brush. The overall height is 110mm with a loft of 50mm.

proxy.php

As always, thanks for looking,

Bob

I thought that I should post something here. I am the "gentleman" that inquired about a brush with the Marine colors and medal. I did not retire, simply put in my four years. However, it was memorable and changed the way I looked at thing. After contacting Bob by e-mail, we exchanged a few more back and forth. He sent me a picture of a handle he had done in the past with a medal in the base similar to what he did for me. Unlike the handles on his web site for the other services and some schools and academies, I found the Marine medal he used rather poor. I am lucky enough to live close to the headquarters of a mint that has a store that I have been doing business with for years. I found the "medal" shown in the picture in a Golf Divot & Ball Market Kit. The mint does a series of things for all branches of service. After discussing the handle shape and construction including the colors with Bob by e-mail and finally on the phone, I mailed him a couple of the ball markers. He sent me the picture of a mock-up of the brush for my final approval and completed the brush. This was followed by the picture he posted on 3 Aug. advising me that the would ship it as soon as possible. It arrived on the 5th. Today I plan on photographing the brush before I prep it for use. Once it has been prepped, I will photograph it again and once it has bloomed after a couple of uses, I will photograph it yet again. When the set is complete, I will post it either in this thread or a new one that Bob creates. My thoughts on this are that there will be no variations because of different cameras and lenses to display the brush to the public for the work that has been done on the brush. At that time I will also give you my impressions of the actual use of the brush.

Throughout the process, Bob was a gentleman and a pleasure to deal with. Finding the resins in what is as close to the scarlet and gold of the Marine Corps added to that. As for me, I will try to continue to be the grizzled old Sgt. of 40 years ago and enjoy 3rd childhood.

jb

The feather work is gorgeous! Have you considered casting straight razor scales? I think pheasant feather straight scales would be beautiful.

I just received a shipment of some multicolored rods that match several of my recent brushes. These resins are imported from the UK and I am very pleased to be able to add matching handles to these brushes.

Shown below are two handles, along with the matching brush.

These and many other pieces are available on my site.

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

Bob

I have just added another of the imported resin handles, as well as a Carbon Fiber razor handle, which is listed under the Specialty Handles on my site.

proxy.php
proxy.php

The handle below is made from a poured acrylic resin surrounding Carbon Fiber, which is a material consisting of fibers composed mostly of carbon atoms. The properties of carbon fibers, such as high tensile strength, low weight, high chemical resistance, high temperature tolerance and low thermal expansion, make them very popular in aerospace, civil engineering, military, and motorsports, along with other competition sports. The first commercial use of carbon fiber began in 1879. Thomas Edison baked cotton threads or bamboo slivers at high temperatures, carbonizing them into an all-carbon fiber filament which was used in the first incandescent light bulb to be heated by electricity.

proxy.php

Bob

The brushes shown below just came out of the shop and are now listed and available on my website.

This 24mm brush is made from Mesquite burl and measures 105mm overall with a 50mm loft.

Mesquite is found in Northern Mexico and the southwestern United States. Mesquite trees are also found in the Chihuahuan Desert of Mexico. Mesquite trees can reach a height of 20 to 30 feet, although mostly they are shrub size. Mesquite is an extremely hardy, drought-tolerant plant because it can draw water from the water table through its long taproot (recorded at up to 190 ft. in depth). Mesquite wood is hard, allowing it to be used for furniture and implements. The hard, dense lumber is also sold as Texas Ironwood and is rather harsh on saws, chain saws, and other tools. Artisans and woodcrafters in Northern Mexico claim that mesquite should be cut under the light of a full moon to avoid splitting. While this has not been proven, mesquite does take longer to cure than most hardwoods.

proxy.php

This 24mm brush is made from Desert Ironwood and measures 111mm overall with a 50mm loft.

Desert Ironwood only grows in the washes and valleys of the Sonoran Desert below 2,500 foot elevation. It is very hard and dense and actually sinks in water. Tradition has it that carvings made from the Desert Ironwood bring good fortune and long life. Desert Ironwood reaches maturity at 2000 years, more or less. It was originally used by the Seri Native Americans of Mexico for tool handles. Today the Seri Indians make carvings of desert plants and animals from the ironwood. Desert Ironwood was the original choice of material for the grips of the Colt .45 handgun.

proxy.php

As always, thanks for looking.

Bob

The Mesquite Burl is very nice. What grades of badger do you offer and how much are you asking for this brush? Thanks!

I have just completed a few new brushes and have listed them on my site.

Lignum Vitae - 110mm overall with a 50mm loft. This handle will also accommodate a 26mm knot

View attachment 462732

Mesquite burl - 117mm overall with a 50mm loft. This handle will also accommodate a 26mm knot

This is a new shape and if you would like to leave your opinion, I would appreciate it.

View attachment 462733

Bob

The Mokume-Gane brush shown below is a fusion of Carbon and Gold.

Mokume-Gane (pronounced Moe-koo-may Gah-nay) is the ancient Japanese metal working technique where layers of contrasting color metals such as copper, brass, nickel silver, gold, and silver are fusion welded with very high heat and pressure into one solid block of metal. Traditional Mokume-Gane is extremely rare and sells for hundreds if not thousands of dollars for a very small quantity. The name “Mokume Gane” refers to the visual appearance of a pattern in metal approximating that of wood. “Mokume” literally means “wood eye”, which would be used to describe a highly figured wood grain. “Gane” translates as metal. So, in English, “wood grain metal” is a near-literal translation.

If you are interested in one of these brushes, or a razor handle, please contact me and I will be glad to build a piece, or set, for you.

Please note that the appearance of "banding" on the handle is only a light reflection. This brush is 110mm overall height with a 50mm loft.

proxy.php

Thanks, Bob

I've just added a few new pieces in both old and new forms to my site. I hope you like them.

Blue Lapis brush in my standard "E-7" shape. The brush is 110mm overall with a 50mm loft and is shown with a 24mm knot.
proxy.php

Spalted Tamarind with a 24mm knot. 110mm overall height with a 50mm loft. A bit different design that feels great in the hand.
proxy.php

It's been a while since I've built a "Watch Parts" brush. This design incorporates a number of differing features from other pieces I've done. It's shown with a 24mm knot, but was turned so I can fit up to a 28mm knot into the handle. The overall height is 129mm with a 50mm loft.
proxy.php

Corian razor handle
proxy.php

Multi-Colored handle in the material referred to a "Moonjava". It's shown below mounted on a Merkur 38C, but is available as a 3-piece handle also.
proxy.php

Thanks for looking, Bob

I own 2 of Bob Quinn's brushes. I just received the second one today. I have to say the service and the quality is as good as it gets. If you are not sure if you should pull the trigger don't hesitate one bit, you wont be disappointed. Just don't buy the brushes I want, these are one of a kind. :thumbup:
$20140902_183115.jpg

Back in the saddle after a long weekend, I've completed a few new pieces. Please visit my site at http://www.eliterazor.com to see the other new items I've added.

Please let me know if I can build something for you.

24mm Malachite brush. 110mm overall height with a 50mm loft
proxy.php

A razor handle made from a multi-colored imported resin. This is the same material generally known as "Disco".
proxy.php

A razor handle made from Blue Mahoe. I don't come across this wood too often and was fortunate to pick up a couple of pieces recently.

Blue Mahoe is a species reported to be native to Cuba and Jamaica. The heartwood is normally grayish brown or olive, but is often mottled with metallic blue and purple shades. The Blue Mahoe is the national tree of Jamaica. The name “Mahoe” is derived from a Carib Indian word. The “blue”, refers to blue-green streaks in the polished wood, giving it a distinctive appearance. The Blue Mahoe is so beautiful and durable that it is widely used for cabinet making and also for making decorative objects such as picture frames, bowls and carving. The inner bark of the tree is often referred to as Cuba bark because it was formerly used for tying bundles of Havana cigars. Cuba is the only other place where the Blue Mahoe grows naturally
proxy.php

This Boar brush with a Blue Lapis handle was made for a customer and it turned out so nice, I wanted to share it.
proxy.php

Bob

A couple of new additions to my site - http://www.eliterazor.com.

Both are 99mm in overall height with a 50mm loft. They are shown with a 24mm knot.

Lignum Vitae - This wood is one of my favorites and this particular piece has a wonderful grain pattern.

proxy.php

Thuya Burl - Exceptional figure in this Gallery Grade piece of wood.

proxy.php

Bob

Top Bottom