What's new

Lime Scents

I recently bought a bottle of Captains Choice Lime and while it is very soothing it doesn't have quite the lime punch I was hoping for.

I was curious what other lime splashes fellow B&B members prefer.

I'm especially curious about how Pinuad Lime Sec compares to the Captains Choice as far as performance and lime scent.

If you like lime and want some longevity I suggest adding Royall Lyme to your routine, they call it an "All Purpose Lotion" but I find it a bit to bracing as an aftershave, you can try it that way but I like to first use a splash of witch Hazel or other scent less product and then spray on the Royall Lyme. A summer pleasure for sure!

Last summer I used Pinaud's Lime Sec along with Citrus Musk quite a bit.

The Lime Sec has a pleasant lime scent, but also a cloying sweetness which at times I found to be distracting. It dried down to a light lime scent which was fairly short-lived. I would put it in the "pretty good" category, keeping in mind it's low price.

I've just recently purchased some Captain's Choice Lime as part of my "Summer of Lime" preparation:001_smile and like it very much. It's a very nice true lime scent, however I'm not sure that it will last much longer than the Pinaud. I'm curious to compare it to RazoRock's Lime AS.

Bladebuff, I've been intrigued by the Royall Lyme for awhile. I recall sampling some in an Orvis store and liking it. I'll have to revisit that store and recheck it. Thanks for the mini-review.

while it's admittedly on the sweet and artificial side, and not really long-lasting, I keep going back to Truefitt & Hill lime aftershave, as well as their entire lime range.
Give it a try sometime.
$truefitt hill limes july 1 2013-3252s.jpg

Last edited:
I really like Capt Choice Lime.

I bought Ogallala bay Rum Limes & Peppercorns last week. Interesting scent. Much sweeter than the Capt but still intriguing. Smells waaaaay better on the skin than directly from the bottle. (I did shake it very well as recommended).

Im thinking of making my own. So i bought some Bay Rum Oil and some Lime Essential Oil. I'll let you know how it goes.

while it's admittedly on the sweet and artificial side, and not really long-lasting, I keep going back to Truefitt & Hill lime aftershave, as well as their entire lime range.
Give it a try sometime.
View attachment 456520

I know what you mean, while it may seem an unlikely choice, I love this stuff - my favorite lime scent bar none.

(also - another great shot sir, Cheers!)

-s

Last edited:
I an a big Lime fan and my fav is St. Charles Lime Splash. Very soothing and scent is not sweet. Very long lasting on me, about 4 hrs. Approx cost $12.00 for a 4oz Glass Bottle. !!!

Several years ago, I enhanced a bottle of Old Spice with Lime EO. I started slowly and added the EO gradually until I was happy with the fragrance. Turned out pretty well.

I'm nursing a bottle of vintage Dry Lime Skin Bracer that I like a lot. Probably my favorite in production lime is Bay Rum with a Twist from SCS.

I'm in a similar position as the original poster, though I haven't cared for Captain's Choice Lime because of the spicy side to it (something like bay rum, to my nose). I really like the scent of Castle Forbes Lime AS Balm, but I really prefer a splash. For those that have tried T&H West Indian Limes or Royall Lime, do either of those have a spicy side? Would either be closer in scent to the CF Limes balm?

I'm in a similar position as the original poster, though I haven't cared for Captain's Choice Lime because of the spicy side to it (something like bay rum, to my nose). I really like the scent of Castle Forbes Lime AS Balm, but I really prefer a splash. For those that have tried T&H West Indian Limes or Royall Lime, do either of those have a spicy side? Would either be closer in scent to the CF Limes balm?

T&H is more candy like. Very sweet.

Wm Newman is similarly sweet. Candy like to me. I used it this am. Not my favorite either and I wanted it to be.

Castle forbes claims to be a true EO lime ... I like the product, but I get a cleaning agent reference from it. That's a shame.

Opaline is still my favorite lime/citrus. Not spicey though. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/87278-Lotion-Opaline

If you like lime and want some longevity I suggest adding Royall Lyme to your routine, they call it an "All Purpose Lotion" but I find it a bit to bracing as an aftershave, you can try it that way but I like to first use a splash of witch Hazel or other scent less product and then spray on the Royall Lyme. A summer pleasure for sure!

I had some of the Royall Lime years ago but I think I used it as a body splash because I wasn't "into" aftershave splashes at the time. As I remember it was quite pleasant.

I an a big Lime fan and my fav is St. Charles Lime Splash. Very soothing and scent is not sweet. Very long lasting on me, about 4 hrs. Approx cost $12.00 for a 4oz Glass Bottle. !!!

I've heard very favorable recommendations about this splash and I plan to give it a go at some point. I enjoy RazoRock Evil Eye lime wax (not a wax, think thick balm), the scent is great but doesn't last long. However, the wax makes my face feel great!

I've also tried Booster's Iced Lime and it's very sugary sweet. Kind of neat every once and again but it's not an every day choice for me.

I have the Lime sec and was not a fan so used it to cut Virgin bay rum and it works great in that mixture. I use Royall Lyme and like it very much.

You'll be hard pressed to find a lime scent that is lasting. Lime is a well-known top note and lasts less than 2 hours on the skin at best. Even synthetic fragrance molecules that mimic lime do not last that long. Whatever lasts longer than that is definitely not the lime...

That being said, if you didn't like Captain's Choice lime (which is a shame because it's one of the most authentic limes on the market), Royall Lime might be up your alley. It's similar, but doesn't have that spiciness. The others are too sweet. It still won't last more than an hour at best, mind you.

Honey bee gardens key lime, I think it was only like $5 online and it got a nice smell to it kinda reminds me of "froot loops" cereal
i use it in my rotation along with captains choice lime.

I have only had the privilege of using the C&E west Indian lime AS, cream, and soap. Love the smell. I will have to gee some of these others try.

While it definitely didn't last 4 hours on me, this splash is awesome.

Top Bottom