What's new

This Day In History

And today (151 years ago) Lincoln delivered the Address. Which was rather shorter than the two hour long oration given earlier by Edward Everett..

Tony,

Thanks for the follow-up to my post and in retrospect I should have waited until the actual day, as you did, the speech was delivered. I know nothing about Edward Everett's speech and I'll look that up.

1694 Voltaire (Francois-Marie Arouet), French philosopher, historian, poet, dramatist and novelist.

Happy Birthday!

21 November 1918

Cross posted on the "World War I - a discussion" thread.

On this date in history the Imperial German High seas fleet surrendered to a combined Allied Fleet of British, French and United States Naval ships at the Scottish North Sea port of Firth of Forth. Headed by the light cruiser, HMS Cardiff, over 90,000 sailors on over 350 allied ships lined up in two columns to receive the defeated German Fleet.

The BBC reports:

"The German Fleet arrived at the Firth of Forth from Wilhelmhaven on the morning of 21 November and were met by an Allied force of about 250 ships under Admiral Beatty. Five battle cruisers, eleven battleships, eight light cruisers2 and fifty destroyers (torpedo boats) arrived under von Reuter's command. At 3:57pm the German flag was ordered to be hauled down and the ships were inspected by the British to see if disarmament was complete. From 22 November the British moved the German ships in groups to Scapa Flow, where they all arrived by 27 November."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/ptop/plain/A2497494

Months later in June 1919, the remaining German sailors after not being allowed to come ashore or visit other ships attempted a mass scuttling of their ships while anchored at Scapa Flow, the northern Scottish harbor.

Last edited by a moderator:
On this date in 1864, President Lincoln signed a letter expressing condolences to Lydia Bixby, a widow in Boston whose five sons supposedly died while fighting in the Civil War. This letter, more than 130 years later, became the creative foundation for the movie Saving Private Ryan.

On this date in 1864, President Lincoln signed a letter expressing condolences to Lydia Bixby, a widow in Boston whose five sons supposedly died while fighting in the Civil War. This letter, more than 130 years later, became the creative foundation for the movie Saving Private Ryan.

Executive Mansion,
Washington, Nov. 21, 1864.

Dear Madam,--
I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle.
I feel how weak and fruitless must be any word of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save.
I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.
Yours, very sincerely and respectfully,
A. Lincoln

Executive Mansion,
Washington, Nov. 21, 1864.

Dear Madam,--
I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle.
I feel how weak and fruitless must be any word of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save.
I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.
Yours, very sincerely and respectfully,
A. Lincoln

Beautifully written. People don't talk that way anymore, and it's a shame.

24 November

On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection,
a groundbreaking scientific work by British naturalist Charles Darwin, is published in England. Darwin's theory argued that organisms gradually evolve through a process he called "natural selection." In natural selection, organisms with genetic variations that suit their environment tend to propagate more descendants than organisms of the same species that lack the variation, thus influencing the overall genetic makeup of the species.

25 November

Meeting in what a newspaper report called "an atmosphere of utter gloom," representatives from the United States, France, Great Britain, and the Soviet Union come together to discuss the fate of postwar Europe. The focus of the meeting was on the future of Germany. The atmosphere never appreciably brightened, and the meeting dissolved in acrimony and recriminations in December.

26 November, 1941

President Franklin D. Roosevelt signs a bill officially establishing the fourth Thursday in November as Thanksgiving Day.

Last edited:
Also on November 26, 1922

In Egypt's Valley of the Kings, British archaeologists Howard Carter and Lord Carnarvon become the first souls to enter King Tutankhamen's tomb in more than 3,000 years. Tutankhamen's sealed burial chambers were miraculously intact, and inside was a collection of several thousand priceless objects, including a gold coffin containing the mummy of the teenage king.

Top Bottom