What's new

BL Discussion for June 2014: Categorizing tobaccos and social implications thereof

Unfortunately, your proposed measure is also subjective (which I believe is what you meant by "objective"). It's left up to the individual's opinion as to how much topping makes it Aromatic or not. Where do you draw the line? With that measure we're not communicating any more effectively, and "Aromatic" is no longer about aroma, which is at least slightly intuitive.

To me, I say that anything that has a topping, not a casing is an aromatic. And yes, I meant to say objective. I'm sorry my not speaking English has done wonders for my Japanese but nothing for my English.:blushing: One drop of Cherry or one hundred, it's had a top note added to it and it's an aromatic.

In theory I agree, but in practice it seems that one would communicate most effectively and efficiently by not trying to use "English" when talking about a blend where latakia is not a defining taste. If I ask a tobacconist for an English, I'm most likely going to get something latakia.

That's actually a concern that's commonly on my mind in all contexts. Usually it's a matter of a word's severity being watered down or its definition expanded; this case is unusual in that its definition has been significantly narrowed and shifted.

I personally don't use the term English to define a blend that has components of Latakia. But that's just me. When I talk to my tobacconist, and am looking for a suggestion, I will talk about the flavors of a specific blend, and usually the components.

That is, as you say, subjective. My wife has enjoyed the room note of everything I've tried. I can't even imagine anyone not liking a nice campfire smell, although apparently it's common.

There's a line in a song I like that goes "her perfume smells like burning leaves" (it's about a troublesome goth girl), and every time I hear that line I'm like "why don't women wear perfume that smells like burning leaves?"...

It's very subjective. I was just answering your question
Is there anything wrong with added scent components for the sake of folks around you?

That article is from a while ago. I do believe that since American Spirit started making the Perique blend, they've greatly increased the revenue going to the crop owners in St. James Parish, and essentially saved it from going under.

View attachment 468766

Exactly. It was a hard sell, but the brokers finally got American Spirit to buy the crop from that last farmer. The article was from 2002, and it is obviously a bit out of date. The farmer, Percy Martin, was 84 then, and doubted his children would continue farming those last 12 acres of Perique. I'm guessing it is profitable enough for them to have continued. What is concerning is that these are the last 12 acres in the world that are growing and harvesting this important tobacco.

There's a line in a song I like that goes "her perfume smells like burning leaves" (it's about a troublesome goth girl), and every time I hear that line I'm like "why don't women wear perfume that smells like burning leaves?"...

Black No. 1

RIP to the great Peter Steele. *sigh* I did get to see them live once, at least. Was a really great show.

Black No. 1

RIP to the great Peter Steele. *sigh* I did get to see them live once, at least. Was a really great show.

My mom is a big Neil Young fan. So when when Peter Steele passed away and she asked what band he was in, I played their cover of Cinnamon Girl for her. Interesting experience to say the least...

My mom is a big Neil Young fan. So when when Peter Steele passed away and she asked what band he was in, I played their cover of Cinnamon Girl for her. Interesting experience to say the least...

I posted that song to a Neil Young discussion in another forum once. The reaction was not good.

I posted that song to a Neil Young discussion in another forum once. The reaction was not good.

Well, there will always be purists in any fan base. Add to that the general genre most Neil Young fans fall into, not many would be into that style of a remake. What many of those types don't realize is that when a sort of cross genre cover song happens, many of the fans of the cover song seek out the original source, and some of them start to become fans of the source, leading to being a whole new set of Neil Young fans, in this case.

Top Bottom