What's new

BL Discussion for June 2014: Categorizing tobaccos and social implications thereof

Pardon my overstepping if I shouldn't start this thread on the first day of June with no consensus; in that case, please ignore. If not, I think I have a good idea for the thread.

I was googling for ideas on what I was smoking in The Great Blind Pipe Taste Test of 2014 and ended up doing some more reading.

The author questions the categorization of pipe tobaccos into Aromatic and English (or Aromatic and non-aromatic, etc). He asks a few of the big names in the industry to help define it, with results varying even more widely than you might expect if you asked a large forum. There's a little bit to learn in their answers. I think what I like most, though, are from two of the comments:
  • "Smoke whatcha like, like whatcha smoke." -- it's a cliche, but a good one.
  • "In my opinion an aromatic blend is one that smells nicer than it tastes." -- this handily fits the social status given to aromatics, as show by the author's admitted (and abandoned) snobbery.

It can go further than pipes, too. Infused cigars may be defined more clearly, but they seem to have a similar (if less severe) social divide. In hookah smoking, it seems to be about charcoal; quick light vs. natural. I don't know anything about vaping, and maybe it hasn't been around long enough yet to grow a divide like that - though one could look at opposing views of vaping juice vs. smoking leaf.

What do you think? How do you define Aromatic, English, Non-Aromatic, Balkan, etc? How do you feel about Aromatics, or infused cigars, or instant-light charcoal? Do you feel defensive about enjoying them? Do you think less of folks who enjoy them? Do you feel like it doesn't matter as long as we're all enjoying whatever we're doing? Is your treatment of the others consistent with your values?

Even taking the "smells nicer than it tastes" comment and running with it, is that so bad? As long as it tastes good and hits that spot that you're looking for, is there anything wrong with added scent components for the sake of folks around you? I'm lucky enough that my wife enjoys the room note of everything, but for others it may mean the difference between an enjoyable smoke and no smoke.

Last edited by a moderator:
And now for my own answers to the questions I posed:

I suspect that in my short time smoking I've engaged in some mild snobbery (which would be unnecessary and not consistent with my what I like to think is my generally accepting attitude). I certainly enjoy blends that are called Aromatics, and some would say that my favorites are crossovers. On the other hand, it does irritate me that for every English or Balkan (my preference) or even straight Virginia or Burley there are dozens upon dozens of heavily-sweetened Aromatics. That market condition causes actual practical issues, like reduced relative availability of my preference.

If I was going to retain any snobbery on purpose, it would be for nicotine addicts who smoke the most flavorless Aromatics to scratch their itch, but even then isn't it still better than the alternatives?

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Just as a correction about the article, the author is asking the difference between Aromatics, and Non Aromatics not Aros and English blends. I only bring this up because I have heard some people incorrectly say there are 2 types of tobacco English and Aro, lumping Virginias, VaPers, Burleys, and anything else that doesn't contain Latakia into the English category, which is the current requirement for an English style blend.

Anyhow...

The line between an Aromatic and Other pipe tobaccos is so blurred that there will never be a cut and dry answer, unlike cigars where a cigar is either unflavored or it isn't. And to those that smoke unflavored cigars it doesn't matter if a cigar is sweetened, infused, sauced or otherwise enhanced it's not unflavored.

Justice Stewart's threshold test for obscenity will also work in this instance for pipe tobacco
"I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description [Aromatic Tobacco]; and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it,..."

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have not yet had the opportunity to associate in person with other pipe smokers and have therefore not been exposed to any form of "tobacco snobbery", other than non-smokers hate for all tobacco. It's hard for me to take all that seriously the good natured bantering on forums such as this as real "snobbery". That being said, I think as "students of the leaf", in an attempt to ferret out the "truth" about tobacco types, we tend to over analyze and artificially create strict definitions. But of course these definitions serve to guide us in our search for BL nirvana. I'm still at a stage of trying to find out what I like and what I don't, trying to sample a bit of everything, trying to understand the nuances of various blends and types of tobaccos. I therefore have tried to limit the number of aromatics I smoke in order to not have any tobacco tastes disguised. As my technique improves, my tastes change and I can appreciate certain blends more than when I first sampled them. As to defining aromatics, I side with Commander Quan's Justice Stewart analogy. I also like the description of an aro as something that smells better than it tastes. But the later sometimes holds true for non aros as well. I certainly don't care for the over the top goopy drug store aros, but I do enjoy the more subtle ones and "cross-overs" like the Frog series. I see no real benefit in embracing any particular form of tobacco snobbery. You like what you like. Our fathers and grand fathers who smoked a pipe certainly had their favorites, but most of them probably had a pretty limited selection of standard OTCs to choose from. If it were not for this forum (I don't visit the others frequently), I would have had no idea that most of the blends we treasure and like to cuss and discuss even existed.

My thought on aromatics would be calling one that has had anything applied to the tobacco that is not present in its natural state.

Being that I've only recently picked up a pipe again after some 30+ years! might make my opinion carry less weight. I still am in the process of discovering the nuances in English blends and various types of tobaccos. It is not easy when your taste buds are not fine tuned yet. I can just begin to feel what the differences are and be able describe them.

Snobbery, maybe in the tobacco reviews on some sites. When one insinuates a certain tobacco as being for those having less of a discriminating palate, I see then, snobbery may be afoot. Glad that does not happen here.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My thought on aromatics would be calling one that has had anything applied to the tobacco that is not present in its natural state.

Being that I've only recently picked up a pipe again after some 30+ years! might make my opinion carry less weight. I still am in the process of discovering the nuances in English blends and various types of tobaccos. It is not easy when your taste buds are not fine tuned yet. I can just begin to feel what the differences are and be able describe them.

Snobbery, maybe in the tobacco reviews on some sites. When one insinuates a certain tobacco as being for those having less of a discriminating palate, I see then, snobbery may be afoot. Glad that does not happen here.
GL Peasemwould say there is almost no pipe tobacco that isn't case/flavored with something.

http://pipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_Tobaccos

Cheers for taking the lead on this, Cap!

It was a lucky coincidence that I happened upon it on June 1, and it was a miracle that I actually had the presence of mind and ability to remember to come up with the idea to post it as the June discussion. :laugh:

I appreciate everyone's thoughts on the matter. Also, I know it was a joke but the corn silk thing sent me to google where I learned that people actually do (or did) smoke corn silk. See, I learned something new today!

So far, I'm going to go with this definition for Aromatic: Smells better than it tastes due to something added to the tobacco.

GL Peasemwould say there is almost no pipe tobacco that isn't case/flavored with something.

http://pipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_Tobaccos

I'm glad you posted this Owen. I think that a lot of people don't realize that completely pure pipe tobaccos (having no flavoring whatsoever) are few and far between.

The whole "smells nicer" idea is a little too objective for me. What may be nice to someone and nicer to another isn't necessarily quantifiable. Taking into consideration what Mr. Pease said, I look at aromatics as having a heavy topping. So, blends like Firedance Flake, University Flake, FMC and even Northwoods to me are aromatics. If you took away that topping it would be a completely different blend. And a while ago I remember Derrick saying that almost all tobaccos have been altered a little sometimes to level out the acidity or balance PH levels. Sure VAs are sweet and have naturally occuring sugars, but when you open a tin and see stalagmites of sugars hanging from you flake, you can bet your dottle that some of that is coming from being cased with sugar water or something similar.

I once read a blog about the "I don't smoke aromatics" bros. It raised some really good points here

Don't be the guy who says "I never smoke aromatics." That's like being the guy who says "I never drink Bud Light." First of all, why do you have to say it? Are you afraid of what people will think? And what if someone offers you some? The other day I was at a neighbor's house and he handed me a Bud Light. What am I going to say? "No, thanks, I never smoke aromatics"?

Second, the guy who says "I never smoke aromatics" is being close-minded. Have your opinions. Have your tastes. But be willing. Be open.

This is something that I've been trying to correct myself. It really reminds me of the scene in Dead Man Walking where he professes his prejudices and says he doesn't like a certain people and it's because they're lazy. And Susan Sarandon retors saying "Why don't you just say you don`t like lazy people?". Because I do enjoy some aromatics like Xmas Cookie, Firedance Flake, UF and Blend A from Derrick. So, I think a way for me to better state my feelings is "I usually don't smoke OTC flavored pipe tobaccos".

$2a5ad8d3-7206-49bf-90d1-0655bfa59402_zps63bd9dd7.jpg

I think a lot of people show their insecurities when being so adamant about making it a point to tell the other they don't smoke aros. Something that kind of makes my head spin is the use of "cross over blend". If it walks like a duck...it's an aromatic. Frog Morton Cellar...

"But it has Latakia! It's an English Cross Over NON-Aromatic!:a44:"
"No, it's heavily flavored and has a unique aroma:glare: You my friend just enjoyed an aromatic :laugh:"

Concerning the difference between English and Latakia blends, I think we have to look no further than this article.I think it goes to show you what the original meaning was and how the contemporary usage of "English" to mean any blend that has Latakia in it is just a misunderstanding.

http://pipesmagazine.com/python/pipe-news/english-blends-and-latakia-blends-one-in-the-same/

I'm not too well versed on ratios of Orientals to Latakia to VAs in Balkans, English and Scottish blends, but I honestly don't care.

In summarythink we all should smoke what we like. While it might not do much for others, a nice bowl of CH or PA in a cob is more than enough pleasure for my taste buds. Who am I to say what someone should smoke and what someone shouldn't. I think the agressive contempt for aromatics borders on, if not enters, Snobbery Manor, and I feel that pipe smokers should be better than that.

Also, when smoking around others, why not choose a tobacco that smells nice. It's a gentlemanly thing to do. :euro:

Aro = overly cased with "sweet" flavors
English = latakia
VA = mostly made of Virginia & doesn't fit the above categories
Burley = all burley
Balkan = don't even bother me with all that jazz

I try not to over-complicate things.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Good read Senshi, reinforces what I've read elsewhere. (Latakia does NOT equal English) But we still expect Latakia in most "English" blends. Long entrenched marketing is difficult to overcome and it's related snobbery, if any.

The whole "smells nicer" idea is a little too objective for me. What may be nice to someone and nicer to another isn't necessarily quantifiable. Taking into consideration what Mr. Pease said, I look at aromatics as having a heavy topping. So, blends like Firedance Flake, University Flake, FMC and even Northwoods to me are aromatics. If you took away that topping it would be a completely different blend. And a while ago I remember Derrick saying that almost all tobaccos have been altered a little sometimes to level out the acidity or balance PH levels. Sure VAs are sweet and have naturally occuring sugars, but when you open a tin and see stalagmites of sugars hanging from you flake, you can bet your dottle that some of that is coming from being cased with sugar water or something similar.
Unfortunately, your proposed measure is also subjective (which I believe is what you meant by "objective"). It's left up to the individual's opinion as to how much topping makes it Aromatic or not. Where do you draw the line? With that measure we're not communicating any more effectively, and "Aromatic" is no longer about aroma, which is at least slightly intuitive.

I think a lot of people show their insecurities when being so adamant about making it a point to tell the other they don't smoke aros. Something that kind of makes my head spin is the use of "cross over blend". If it walks like a duck...it's an aromatic. Frog Morton Cellar...

"But it has Latakia! It's an English Cross Over NON-Aromatic!:a44:"
"No, it's heavily flavored and has a unique aroma:glare: You my friend just enjoyed an aromatic :laugh:"

Concerning the difference between English and Latakia blends, I think we have to look no further than this article.I think it goes to show you what the original meaning was and how the contemporary usage of "English" to mean any blend that has Latakia in it is just a misunderstanding.
In theory I agree, but in practice it seems that one would communicate most effectively and efficiently by not trying to use "English" when talking about a blend where latakia is not a defining taste. If I ask a tobacconist for an English, I'm most likely going to get something latakia.

That's actually a concern that's commonly on my mind in all contexts. Usually it's a matter of a word's severity being watered down or its definition expanded; this case is unusual in that its definition has been significantly narrowed and shifted.

Also, when smoking around others, why not choose a tobacco that smells nice. It's a gentlemanly thing to do. :euro:
That is, as you say, subjective. My wife has enjoyed the room note of everything I've tried. I can't even imagine anyone not liking a nice campfire smell, although apparently it's common.

There's a line in a song I like that goes "her perfume smells like burning leaves" (it's about a troublesome goth girl), and every time I hear that line I'm like "why don't women wear perfume that smells like burning leaves?"...

Top Bottom