What's new

Looking for a winter hat

I'm looking for a hat to wear in the winter, to keep my head warm while going to/from work. I wear business casual to the office, defined as dress pants, shirts, and shoes, with a wool charcoal calf-length overcoat. I am not in a customer-facing role, but routinely am seen by and frequently interact with people much further up the chain from my present rung of the ladder. Therefore, I dress conservatively -- which, incidentally, is also (in my opinion) a prerequisite for the kind of work I do.

I am trying to find a hat that will complement that look and will not make me look like the stereotypical Russian Spy from the old spy thrillers, nor that will be a wool knit cap.

I have never ventured into this particular realm of accessory. Your thoughts are most definitely appreciated! If there is any other information I can provide, please let me know and I will try to provide it.

Thank you!

A good wool flat cap might be a good place to start.

That's a good thought. I'm not sure those kind of caps work well with a rounder face like mine. It seems like it would appear to be too much head for not enough cap, but maybe I'm wrong. This is something to look into.

Any particular brands/labels that are considered good quality?

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Pretty much anything marked Harris Tweed. Check out Villagehatshop online; a huge variety of almost any style you can think of

I wear a grey herringbone Harris Tweed trilby. Have had many compliments on it. And it is warm when it is cold here in Nebraska.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I was going to say "why do you want to buy a winter cap in May in the northern hemisphere?" but you may come up on good deals buying off season.

$261279454433_1.jpg

I swear by mine. It's also the reason for my custom title. :tongue_sm

Leather, shearling lined. The shearling folds down to cover your neck if you like.

I was going to say "why do you want to buy a winter cap in May in the northern hemisphere?" but you may come up on good deals buying off season.

... and that would be a great question! I'm starting my research well ahead of my need so I can spend some time figuring out what I want. That way, when it's time to buy, I've already primed the proverbial pump.

Thanks for all the feedback, gentlemen -- keep it coming!

That's why I suggested the flat cap, also known as a newsboy cap. It's a good entry level hat. IMO it's has to jump into a tribley or fedora having never worn a hat.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That's why I suggested the flat cap, also known as a newsboy cap. It's a good entry level hat. IMO it's has to jump into a tribley or fedora having never worn a hat.

+1. I included a link to the other tread so he could see one on somebody with a more "rounded" face than I have.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Do you need winter insulation & ear protection, or just a more season-appropriate accessory? Or is it rain protection?

I would recommend a different hat if you were in Seattle, Chicago, Miami or Nome.

Do you need winter insulation & ear protection, or just a more season-appropriate accessory? Or is it rain protection?

That, sir, is an excellent question. I'm asking this because I want something to keep my head (and, optionally, ears) warm during the walk between my various commute points. However, it's important that it fit into my environment at work and my personal dress code. If I had to choose between one that was a perfect fit but not as warm, and was warm, but was only on a 90% fit, I'd consider both choices on their merits.

Does that answer your question?

Yea obviously anything offering war protection will be more "casual". You could always get some of those compact behind the head ear muffs. The ones I have fold up and fit nicely into my coat pocket

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
That, sir, is an excellent question. I'm asking this because I want something to keep my head (and, optionally, ears) warm during the walk between my various commute points. However, it's important that it fit into my environment at work and my personal dress code. If I had to choose between one that was a perfect fit but not as warm, and was warm, but was only on a 90% fit, I'd consider both choices on their merits.

Does that answer your question?

Personally, I like a shearling "aviator" style cap like this ...

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

You can tie the ear flaps up in cool weather, and down in cold to really protect the ears. Get real shearling if you can afford it at all, as it's fantastic and very insulating. There are other styles that are maybe not as insulating, but a little less "north west mounted police", if that is what you are after.

Check out these guys:

http://crowncap.com/shop/

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Mad Bomber hat, nothing like it for really cold weather. Not exactly high fashion, but, then again, neither am I

Top Bottom