What's new

Tutorial: Repair stripped threads in Gillette Old Types using Heli-Coil.

Howdy all.

I've had a couple of razors with stripped shafts, and searching for fixes yielded me very little so..... :001_smile

This thread will outline how to repair stripped threads in your vintage single/double ring, etc. (not just Old Types) razors, using a Heli-Coil 10-32 kit. Being my first time I chose a sacrificial 1919 Single Ring that was somewhat shy of plating, though good shape otherwise, but had almost totally stripped threads in its shaft.

This first pictures show the Heli-Coil kit that I used, from Ebay ($26):

$IMG_2749.jpg$IMG_2750.jpg

Shaft showing stripped threads:

$IMG_2748.jpg

The first step is to drill out the old threads using a 13/64 bit (not included in kit). I first wrapped the shaft in Duct Tape
to protect it while clamping, etc, then used my drill press to drill out the shaft. I chose to simply hold the shaft with pliers:

$IMG_2752.jpg

The drilled out shaft:

$IMG_2754.jpg

Last edited:
Next step is to re-thread (tap) the shaft using the supplied (proprietary) tap, and a bit of lubricating oil. For this part I clamped the shaft into a vise:

$IMG_2755.jpg

The new threads:

$IMG_2758.jpg

The next step was the “toughest”. Threading in the insert was not explained well on the packaging. The blue plastic thing is
used to spread out the threads of the insert so that you can then screw it into the newly tapped threads of the shaft:

$IMG_2764.jpg
$IMG_2765.jpg

Once it gets started into the hole it’s easy. You simply stop once it’s just below the shafts surface. Note the “tang” on the bottom of the insert. This gets snapped off when you’re finished. I read that some people may use Loctite/glue, etc. to secure the insert, but surface tension alone seems to be enough:

$IMG_2761.jpg

Last edited:
To remove the tang you simply put something into the shaft and break it off. I used a flattened nail. Done! I went from about 1/16” of twisting-in slack (without blade) to about 1/4” (pretty much stock). Far better!

Before:

$IMG_2744.jpg

After:

$IMG_2762.jpg

The insert works very well! Being stainless steel, rust should not be an issue either.

Feel free to ask questions and I will do my best to answer. Now that I have done this once I would certainly do it again.

Btw. Total project time was under an hour. It will be faster next time.

This is not meant to be a way to put these razors back to new stock (though it looks pretty darn close), but rather a way to put them back into rotation! *I should not have put "Old Types" in the title, as this would work on any stripped threaded shafts from any era, but I can't edit the title.*

Save those razors! :)

Fire away!

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I hope this helps return some razors to useful condition.

I'm gathering up my pictures and notes for a Repairing-Cracked-Handles thread, next. :001_smile

Wow! Very nice done!

Thank you for taking the initiative of performing/recording your repair.

You have been "Bookmarked" :D

As a mechanic i have used helicoils a lot and they work really well. To clamp in the vise I made two thin boards with magnets to protect anything I clamp to not be damaged by the knurled teeth on the vise. You can usually find a nice assortment of helicoils at local autoparts stores.

What are the new threads made of? Will rust be a potential problem?
The inserts are made from stainless steel, so rust should not be an issue!

Lefty634: I'd normally use wood to clamp them as well. Took a quickie root this time. The Duct Tape was really thick and protected the shaft well though. Thanks for the note!

:001_smile

Top Bottom