What's new

What High End Razors should I consider?

That's the thing, Im not totally sure what kind of razor I prefer. That's why it's hard to say which one to purchase first!

That's the thing, Im not totally sure what kind of razor I prefer. That's why it's hard to say which one to purchase first!

You need to try several razors. A Gillette NEW is a great place to start. ATT razors are also wonderful, but very expensive. Slow down, enjoy the journey ...

I had a pretty rough start with wet shaving early this year and backed off to a milder razor, the Feather AS-D2, which is an awesome razor. I can get a BBS shave with 3 passes and some light buffing. I also acquired the iKon Deluxe OC and the OSS heads, which are great. However, I got RAD for an ATT razor and just got the Atlas M2 in the mail. My first shave with it this morning was amazing. No irritation and no nicks with a brand new PolSilver SI blade. I didn't need but 2 passes and some minor buffing on one area of my neck, and with very light pressure this razor is superb. The machining on it is precise, and it is a real work of art. It looks like it will last for many lifetimes! I also noticed an interesting effect with it when rinsing it ... due to the way the blade mounts the water flows in a channel and spurts out each side to completely rinse the soap out very efficiently. It will definitely become my daily razor!

Above the Tie (ATT) Stainless Steel razors are by reputation (and my personal opinion) second to none. Machined from un-plated, solid stainless steel ... offering good resistance to damage from corrosion, chipping, cracking, and bending ... they should last for hundreds of years with a little care. (a warning, Feather AS-D1 and AS-D2 razors are chrome plated, and iKon is said to have some sort of coating over its sintered stainless steel ... which I personally fear will over time scratch or chip and foster rust underneath the coating/plating)

ATTs are manufactured with excellent precision and quality assurance (QA). They are the only manufacturer to produce a razor with a 0.25mm blade gap (see B&B's Blade Gap Chart). A quarter of a millimeter doesn't allow for much error.

Stan's design is regarded as being very intuitive to use, and provides great audible feedback. The handles offer excellent grip. Plus he offers a generous 30 day satisfaction guarantee.

I personally am very partial to my Above The Tie (ATT) Atlas 5 Piece (SB) Set.
:001_smile

The Feather all Stainless isn't chrome plated. Where did you get that information?

To the OP:
Just like a couple of others have mentioned- the Feather AS-D2 is a fabulous razor.
I can easily get a very close and comfortable shave, without being overly careful (if careful at all).
The build, fit and finish are absolutely second to none! This razor will last you a lifetime, or more.

Also, it is not chrome-plated, like somebody else has mentioned. It's made of Stainless steel and has a matte finish. Extremely durable, and like I said earlier - ridiculously well built.

Even tho many folks call it a very mild shaver - I say it gets the job done as well as some much more aggressive shaver, if not better.

As with everything wetshaving - YMMV.

ATT wins the race to BBS without a question for me.
Add to that:
1) Quality of craftsmanship
2) Durability (SS)
3) Stan and his customer service
4) Versatility of the various base plates.

The Feather all Stainless isn't chrome plated. Where did you get that information?

Also, it is not chrome-plated, like somebody else has mentioned. It's made of Stainless steel and has a matte finish.

My information on the Feather razors being chrome plated comes from two threads:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-280882.html
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-276524.html
(by the way, please don't clean your razors with bleach)

I have not personally communicated with the manufacturer, but this was Feather's response to Kentos (one of B&B's moderators):

"Thank you very much for your e-mail dated February 18, 2012 through our
website.

We very much appreciate your interest in our all stainless steel razor, and
we are pleased to inform you that the surface treatment of this razor is
matted chrome-plating just as you mentioned, and that is also what is meant
in Japanese description in the website.

Thank you very much again for your interest in our products.

Best regards,

=================================
Tsuyoshi Ishiyama
FEATHER SAFETY RAZOR CO., LTD.
OVERSEAS TRADE DIVISION"

While chrome will apparently never rust, and it is more resistant to scratches ... if it does scratch or chip I am personally concerned that the chrome/steel edge could foster an area of higher moisture with lower oxygen, hastening the corrosion of the stainless steel underneath. It's a trade off. Not necessarily a bad trade off, but if maximizing longevity is the deciding factor in your purchase then this is something that you may want to consider. But only time will really tell us for sure.

If you are interested, search for my username in this thread and you can see some more collected research on the subject:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-366373.html

Cheers,
Shawnsel

My information on the Feather razors being chrome plated comes from two threads:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-280882.html
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-276524.html
(by the way, please don't clean your razors with bleach)

I have not personally communicated with the manufacturer, but this was Feather's response to Kentos (one of B&B's moderators):

While chrome will apparently never rust, and it is more resistant to scratches ... if it does scratch or chip I am personally concerned that the chrome/steel edge could foster an area of higher moisture with lower oxygen, hastening the corrosion of the stainless steel underneath. It's a trade off. Not necessarily a bad trade off, but if maximizing longevity is the deciding factor in your purchase then this is something that you may want to consider. But only time will really tell us for sure.

If you are interested, search for my username in this thread and you can see some more collected research on the subject:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-366373.html

Cheers,
Shawnsel

I really appreciate the explanation and the links!
I stand corrected, good Sir. :)

The matte finish is so stainless steel-like, that I would have never imagined that they coated it with anything.

I agree that your concerns, ultimately, make sense... however, I take very good care of all my tools, including my razors, and am sure that I have nothing to worry about in that department.

I am mainly a straight-razor shaver, and most of my straights are made of carbon steel (like most SRs are).
Needless to say, these SRs are way more prone to being damaged and rusting than most DEs out there.

Again, all are valid points!

How do you decide which baseplate to buy on the ATT?

I'm personally glad that I purchased a 5 piece set (with three SB baseplates ... the open combs weren't available at the time). Originally I was convinced that I would only be using the M1 (mildest) baseplate the first decade or so ... but less than a year later, it turns out that I'm currently a fan of the aggressive H1 baseplate. Sometimes even sensitive skin can benefit from an aggressive razor. I'm still experimenting, but it seems that I shave faster (just one with the grain pass plus touch ups) and get a great shave with less irritation. With the M1 I always feel like I need three passes (WTG, XTG, and ATG), which seems to irritate my skin noticeably more.

I also noticed an interesting effect with it when rinsing it ... due to the way the blade mounts the water flows in a channel and spurts out each side to completely rinse the soap out very efficiently.

that makes me smile every time.

Top Bottom