What's new

Haberdashery Habits Learned from your Dad

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
My Grandfather (who died just after my first birthday) was a good dresser, who liked hats, shoes, bow ties and such. My father was a bit of a rebel against that, so I didn't learn much sartorially from him, but I did get ...

1. an appreciation for the greatness of Harris Tweed
  2. an appreciation for wearing a tie to work every day (which my father, a junior-highschool teacher, did long after all the other teachers had "gone caj" and skipped the tie and such)
  3. the occasional compliment to my sartorial choices, indicating that his father would have approved.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Keep your shoes shined and clean. I've never seen my dad wear dirty shoes for more than a day.

Line up your belt buckle, the pleat on the front of your shirt and the edge of your waist band (the part that the button goes into). I think it is something he learned in ROTC.

I learned from my Grandfather, my mom left when I was 2 and my dad couldn't take care of me alone while he was in the military, so I stayed with my Grandparents and my dad come to visit quite often and would try to cram a lifetime into each visit. I honestly consider my dad more like a best friend, but I didn't learn how to dress from him, I learned it from my grandfather.

Take a shower shave and get dressed every morning as soon I get up. You don't work on the sabbath so you don't wear work clothes on the sabbath. You don't wear shorts, sweatsuit tops or bottoms flipflops, or sandals, ever, or take your shoes off until the day is done. A Tshirt is underwear and not a suitable outergarment and you never wear pajamas outside the house. You don't wear tennis shoes except to play in, and you don't wear jeans except around the house or to work in. If you are working you wear boots. You don't wear work clothes out in public. If you go out in public you wear pants (not jeans) and a button down shirt. You should always wear a belt, it should be clean and not worn and the buckle should be shined. shoes should always be cleaned and/or shined. Your socks should match your shoes and your belt should match your shoes or your shirt. You never wear a tie or a sweater with a short sleeve shirt, you never wear a long sleeve shirt without a tie or a sweater, and you don't wear both a tie and a sweater, and you never wear a short sleeve shirt in winter. You never wear a vest without a suit jacket and you never wear a suit jacket without a tie. You never go out without a hat, and you never wear a hat inside. Always carry an handkerchief, a pocketknife, a lighter, and enough change to make a phone call. Your clothes should always be pressed. Take a bath at night and afterwards put on pajamas and slippers and if its cold a robe.

Shirts are always tucked in when going out, the gig line is straight, and shoes are always clean. Covers come off when under cover or else he will remove it for you. My step-brother learned the hard way when he was a teen about 20 years ago.

1. My dad taught me that EVERY bad mood can be cured with food, but uit has to be appropriate food for the mood.
2. My dad was a gambling addict, but he always found time in the morning to take me to ride the ponies, or fishing or play miniature golf. We never went hungry, and always had a roof over our heads. We were poor but didn't know it..He was never without a job and he NEVER called in sick. I follow in his example except I'm addicted to shaving...lol
3. Always pay your bills...I have good credit because of my dad's example.
4. My dad emigrated from Cuba in 1952. He learned English in 3 months and became a citizen in 7-years. He spent time in the Military, twice. He taught me to LOVE this country...He taught me to respect our flag and National Anthem, to stand when it is being played, to put my hand on my heart, remove my hat or salute if in uniform. He taught me to thank veterans, young and old, for my freedom, since freedom costs them so much.
5. He let me make my own mistakes...

Most if not all of what my Dad (RIP) taught be was from his military career.

Wear quality shoes - always have them shined. Carry something to buff them and a lighter.
How to shine shoes, several different ways depending on what you have.
How to leave your bed - I used to do hospital corners for years.
How to press clothes - if you don't have an iron, spray/mist water on - it pulls the wrinkles out as it drys.
Wear a good watch - He used to throw his Timex against the wall to demonstrate.
Always be early, at least 30 mins no matter where you are going.
How to tie a tie - showed me several knots.
Wear clean underwear, you never know who's going to see them (military inspection?)

a little off topic but still good advice:

Never drive behind someone who wears a hat inside the car
Never trust a man that smokes a pipe
At a Bar: If there are more than two things in your glass and one is not ice check between your front pockets for your ----.

First a little background. My family lived 1/2 mile down the road from my paternal grandparents. Both my Grandpa and my Dad farmed for their livings, although Dad did take some part-time work in the early winter months to earn Christmas money. So what I learned came from both Dad and Grandpa since they were both in my life on a daily basis.
1. Always carry a handkerchief. White for "dress-up" and a bandana for working clothes.
2. Always carry a small pocketknife. They both used Case knives. I gravitated toward Buck lockbacks as soon as I could afford my own.
3. Weae a hat in the summertime when out in the sun. This was from my Grandpa. He'd always buy me a straw hat in the spring, but I would "lose" it soon as I was just too cool to wear a straw hat. 40+ years later I have come to appreciate and live this piece of advice.
4. Work clothes are work clothes. If you were headed into town for any reason other than getting parts for the farm equipment and planning on doing the repair immediately so you could go back to work, you showered and changed into "good" clothes.
5. Work hard, pay your bills. Be as self-sufficient as possible. Don't count on anyone else for help except for family in an extreme, unexpected emergency. And don't expect too much help from them; if you couldn't take care of yourself and your own, you weren't trying hard enough.

Aloha,

If you are not 15 minutes early you are late.
How to tie a full Windsor (only knot he knew)
Always shine your shoes.
He shaved with a straight with just water, no cream, so his razors had to be extremely sharp. He taught me to hone his straights with oil stones monthly.
Started my watch obsession by asking, "A Rolex watch or your class ring?" Wow really hard choice.

Mahalo

Top Bottom