What's new

Two new goodies today!

First, I went to the local farmers' market this morning and noticed a lady selling soaps. Turns out she makes a shaving soap with the scent "Shave 'n a Haircut". It is mild fragrance and she says she has many loyal customers. The soap is made very near my home so I had to take a puck home. Can't wait to try it! She also had some interesting body soaps, one with ground loofah and another with charcoal to remove odors. I'll have to try some of those too.

Second, while scanning the 'Bay for a 61 Gillette I became a bit discouraged at the prices (and losing an auction), so I jumped on a '63 Slim that was Buy It Now and had an awful photo. I had immediate remorse but was willing to take my lumps. Well it arrived today (free shipping!) and looks pretty darned good. There is slight braising on the handle and a tiny rust mark inside one of the doors. Cleaned it up and had a great shave with a new Astra SP and ToBS Jermyn St. I've also got another Slim coming from B/S/T- thanks Nick. Can't wait for that one too.

B&B, a blessing and a curse... thanks everyone!

$Swan soap.jpg

Last edited:
Very good. Let us know how that soap does. I can't find that particular soap or any shaving soaps on the website listed on the package.

At my local farmers' market there are a number of artisan soap makers but none sell shaving soaps. They all say that they are working on a shaving soap but nothing yet. Actually, there is a local honey company that sells a shaving soap at the farmers' market. It is an ok shaving soap that has been relegated to the bottom of my shaving box. I may have to try it again.

I tried to lather this soap today but wasn't successful. I didn't have much time to experiment so I'll try again later. Must do my soap lathering homework first!
The razor is great. I shaved on 7 and got a very very close shave. Plus it's so fun to be using a '63 to shave in '14. Yes.

That may not be a shaving soap. It may just be a bath soap with a barbershop scent, like Mike's Barbershop bath soap. I could be wrong, but, I don't see a lathering agent in the ingredients and olive oil is a lather killer. Once again, I could be wrong on both counts.

As mentioned by me earlier, my farmers' market has several soap vendors but no shaving soaps. I asked one vendor about shaving soaps and she said that her husband uses her soaps as shaving soaps. I bought a soap from her. It did not lather and was not good for shaving my face. It was a pretty good bath soap, though, so no big loss.

I've tried to lather the soap twice and ended up with lots and lots of foam. She said she has customers that shave with it but who knows. I'm happy to support a local, and I look forward to trying the loofah soap.

I was fortunate to get this '64 Slim from Nick here on B&B. ahhhhhhh
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401490083.689972.jpg

The blade gap was a little crooked but I was able to straighten it. It's a beauty

Oh yeah and I picked up this scuttle as well
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401490238.337217.jpg

Here here B&B!

Top Bottom