What's new

Ian's cart to straight tales

Like most people my age, ever since i had started shaving i had used a cartridge style razor. About a year ago my father began wet shaving using a DE. I understandably had no idea what he was doing and had little interest in it as well. About 6 months later he got my younger brother by 3 years starting to use a DE as well. A little after is about the time that he purchased his first straight razor.

About 5 months went by and my entire thinking about wet shaving was that my father was crazy and that i would never do that in a million years, especially since my cart razor and canned gel works just fine. That was until my father actually sent me some shaving soaps. Between my communication with him and YouTube i learned how to make a lather. It's hard to look up shaving soap videos without being recommended to watch all things wet shaving related.

That little package of soap completely curbing my outlook on wet shaving. After a week of making my own lather and noticing an improvement in my skin, i figured the best thing would be to take it to the next level. However, I'm not one to do things halfway. So i called up my father and asked him about straight razors. He tried to instruct me about DE's, but i have little interest in them. I figure if I'm going to know how to shave i might as well do it how it's been done for hundreds of years.

So, long story short, i plan to use this thread to detail my adventures in learning to use a straight razor. I'll hopefully get my first razor in tomorrow. This is when I'll officially begin my tales of quickly and suddenly changing from a cartridge razor to a straight razor.

Welcom, Ian, and grab some cookies.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 83
First shave compete and I'm still alive.

My first razor is a gold dollar honed by buca, and i was so excited to see it in the mail today.

Since it was my first shave i decided to take no chances. I put a hot towel on my face, made my lather, and got a styptic pencil ready.

After applying the razor to my face, i seemed relatively at easy moving down my face from my sideburn. After about three short passes on my cheek i felt to see how close it was and realized it wasn't close at all. I'm wasn't sure, but i assumed that my angle was too high. I adjusted and moved to my left cheek. Much smoother.

My chin was giving me problems so i decided to move on to my neck. I was understandably nervous. However, making straight short strokes i was easily able to shave the hairs from my neck. But once again it didn't feel as smooth. So being the impatient person i am, i decided to go against the grain (ATG). I wouldn't recommend it to new straight shavers, but i felt confident enough and it paid off. My neck has always been the hardest spot to get and by going against the grain i was able to get the smoothest shave on my neck ever. I attempted to go ATG on my cheeks as well, but i was unable to get the angle right.

Then came my chin and lip. This area for me was disastrous. I never cut myself too deeply, but i had about 10 little cuts. My styptic pencil was perfect to stop the bleeding, but the pencil hurt like a son of a gun. Haha.

Overall not the closest shave ever, but it was much better and easier than i expected. I did learn that i need to work on my lathers, they are too watery and by the time i got to a new spot on my face the lather had already disappeared. I'm sure in no time I'll be getting a closer shave with my straight razor as i did with my cartridge razor.

Next shave I'll work on my jaw line and chin, where i seemed to have the most problems.

Well done. It just takes time, practice and patience. Remember to let the blade to the work and if things aren't going well, there is always another day.

Ian hello and welcome to B&B, I'm new here too and also came from a cartridge shaving background. Keep it up and keep posting your shaves and questions, the folks here are so helpful. You will be getting comfortable shaves before you know it. Lots of great info in the shavewiki on lathering and stopping etc. and if you can get to a meet or a mentor in your area do so. I was able to go to a meet up last weekend and it helped my shaving a great deal, met some great people also. All the best FrankC

Welcome to B&B! That is definitely a jump, from carts to straights. Sounds like it went well for a first straight shave though. As you've heard and read, practice and experience will get you there.

Many of us straight shavers prefer really wet lather, but you need enough product in it as well. Another area that practice gets you to where you want to be. Looking forward to reading the journal.

Shave day two.

This is much easier than i expected. Still loads of fun. I'm looking forward to shaving everyday and sad when my shave is over because i know I'll have to wait at least 24 hours for another.

Today as i was taking a shower i floated my bowl in hot water with my brush inside as directed by many on the forum. I then decided to use a cream rather than soap to make my lather since my soap lather wasn't holding up yesterday. I was able to make a much thicker cream lather than with soap. I'll probably stick to cream for awhile till i can prefect my soap lather. So i don't have to work on too many things at once.

My neck was still relatively smooth from yesterday's shave so i didn't need to focus on that area as much. So this shaves focus was on my jaw line and cheeks (an area that was still very rough with hair after my last shave). I first went with the grain (WTG) to practice and see how it feels. Then i relathered my jaw line and cheeks to go in combinations of ATG and cross the grain (XTG). After about two passes, one in each direction, my jaw line and cheeks were just as smooth as my neck from yesterday.

I then decided to stay away from my chin and lip and just use my cart razor for the time to let them heal from yesterday's nicks.

As i said it's going much easier than i expected. By focusing on one thing at a time i think i could be an expert straight razor shaver in no time.

I even bought another straight already that should be here sometime this week. It's a Swedish frameback. Then i can try my hand at another style.

Congrats Ian - you are off to a terrific start!

Remember; light, light, light on the razor to your skin - no pressure. And use very short strokes at first till you get the feel. Keep the spine of the blade angled so it is almost flat against your skin.

Excellent idea to let any areas that are cut or sore heal up before trying again.

Best wishes. I will be reading about your journey with great interest.

Day Three: Chin work and razor burn

So I woke up super excited to shave. I wanted to get better at shaving my chin and upper lip and had a plan of attack to do it.

I started with my normal routine of showering to loosen the hairs, but this time I added conditioner hoping that maybe that will soften the hairs a bit and make it easier to shave my chin.

I have been practicing over the past two days on making a soap lather and I was able to make a really nice lather.

Part two of my plan was to only lather my chin and upper lip first focusing on that area. My thinking was that maybe by shaving that area last the lather was beginning to disintegrate making it harder to shave.

First I went WTG. I was hearing some "buttering" from the hairs getting cut, but not as much as I though based on my two day hair growth. I touched my chin and I was correct, there was still quite a bit of stubble that was left. This is when my impatience took hold again and I began to re-lather and shave different ways. I probably made about five passes pushing much harder then I know I should have until I finally felt it was "smooth enough."

Then I began to shave my neck, cheeks, and jaw line all with little to no problems and a receiving a "smooth enough" shave.

Then it hit me. Extreme razor burn on my chin and upper lip. I've had razor burn before, but nothing compared to what I was feeling this time. I applied my aftershave (stirling soap brand), and began to feel some relief.

This was my learning today. My impatience is going to damage my skin. I need to learn to take one maybe two passes and be fine with the effects. I shouldn't force my skin to have a close shave now at the expense of damaging it. Over time I will perfect my form, angle, and style and then I will get closer shaves.

Definitely do not push for too close of a shave too early in the learning curve. Very big lesson that is hard to remember for many of us. lol

I know that feeling! I want to keep pushing when I shave too! We all just need to take it slow and let it come naturally.

Shave 4: First badge of honor.

I initially had no plans of shaving today so that I could let me hair grow out a bit and shave tomorrow morning or the day after to see how that differs. Then my first badger brush came in the mail. I've been using a cheap boar brush since I started and I just couldn't resist.

So I began my shading routine. My silver tipped badger brush made a very nice lather and I began my shave. After completing my left cheek, I moved to my right. Not sure exactly what happened, except that I wasn't quite paying attention and cut my cheek. It was relatively small (about a quarter on an inch in length), but it still bled pretty good. A stark reminder of the care that needs to be taken.

Other than that I actually had my best shave yet. My left cheek is very smooth and even my chin and upper lip are acceptable. If it wasn't for this dang cut I would have considered it a perfect shave. Oh well... Maybe next time.

I am very proud of how far I've come in such a short amount of time, and believe that a large part of my success in straight razor shaving has been because of my strong desire to learn and not being afraid. Respect and care should always be given to these instruments, but you shouldn't be afraid of them, that's when accidents happen.

Sorry on the cut. We all have those moments where we lose focus and then remember why that is a bad idea. lol For what it's worth, they don't happen too often once you get on top of the curve. The downside is even then, they will happen once in a while. *sigh*

A new razor!

I haven't posted for a little bit even though i have been shaving every day. I just haven't had much development in my process.

However, today i got this beauty in.

View attachment 456867

This swedish frameback is much lighter than my gold dollar, and it shaves like a dream. The tang is much smaller which was a little harder to maneuver at some points, but I was still able to get BBS (baby butt smooth) on most of my face. On my chin and lip i can't seem to get it right without the cost of quite a few weepers.

My biggest problems i believe stem from many avenues. I still think my angles not perfect (although it's close), keeping my skin tight in the area in shaving, and it course pressure. All basic things, but the ones that i haven't perfected on my whole face yet.

I'm now 7 shaves in and I'm sure I'm only a few away from having that perfect shave.

Ianh sounds like your right on track, I'm just a few shaves ahead of you, maybe,(20) and am finally getting BBS about 75% of the time. The advice that has helped me most is to NOT chase the perfect shave but to just try to get better at my technique and the great shaves will follow, that's hard for me I'm an instant gratification sort of guy. I'm finding that a great shave is the culmination of several skill sets coming together for that shave and the experience is way more important than the outcome. I some times rush a certain part of the process, I get impatient for the outcome and perfection and that detracts from my overall pleasure. As I read your "problems" list it sounds so familiar, I struggle with some of the same, it just takes time and a determination to get better. Remember what the guys that have years of experience say, "Take it easy and have fun" All the best FrankC

Top Bottom