What's new

Brotherhood of Barber Scents (BOBS)

What is your favorite barbershop scent? Elaborate in a post.

• Pinaud-Clubman

• Proraso

• Floid

• Old Spice

• Myrsol

• Fine

• Bay Rum

• Aqua Velva

• Tabac

• Lucky Tiger

• Jeris Osage Rub

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Brothers and Sisters,

:a50:After much discussion, Marco and I wish to launch a new Club/Brotherhood devoted to traditional barbershop scents. The official name is Brotherhood of Barber Scents (BOBS). Members should put one, the other, or both, in their signature.

The Brotherhood is here to discuss aftershaves that you remember from your childhood, scents from a barbershop, or scents that remind you of a barbershop. :a21:

We are going to start this off with a poll. :popc: The poll will be open for two weeks. There is a list of 12 (the maximum). Choose your favorite barbershop scent. Tell us about it, why did you choose it? If you pick Other, then what would you add? There are 12 places in the poll, so we cannot list each scent individually. If you choose, for example, Clubman, in your post let us know which Clubman, and why. :confused1

Gentlemen and Gentle Ladies, we offer for your pleasure and discussion, the Brotherhood of Barber Scents.

In another thread, we asked the question, what are barbershop scents, and this list was the result.

Floid Genuine (Italy)
FloidMentolado Vigoroso (Spain)
Floid Blue (Italy)
Floid Mentolado Suave (Spain)

Proraso White
Proraso Blue

Clubman Aftershave
Clubman Lilac Vegetal :Veg:
Clubman Vanilla
Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
Clubman Lime Sec
Clubman Citrus Musk
Clubman Musk
Clubman Special Reserve
Clubman Eau De Quinine Hair Tonic

Jeris Osage Rub :osage:

Myrsol Blue
Myrsol Formula F./Extra
Myrsol Balsamic

Bay Rum :bayrum2:
Florida Water
Endymion

Fine American
Fine Italian Citrus

Rive Gauche
Tabac
Canoe
Old Spice
Barbasol Brisk

Aqua Velva Blue :velva2:
Aqua Velva Musk

Booster’s Polar Ice (Canada)
Booster’s Mosswood

Pashana
Cartier Roadster
Lucky Tiger
Vitos
Pitralon
Stefan’s Alpine
Barrister and Mann Seville AS
WSO Bill the Barber AS

Last edited:
Okay my favorite Barbershop scents. If I am supposed to only name one, then use the first entry, as these are listed in the order of preference.

Clubman Pinaud Classic. It just takes me back to my youth. I cannot describe exactly when, but even without knowing that it was an AS, the scent says Barbershop. I like the talc for the same reason.

Aqua Velva Ice Blue (Vintage). The vintage has a unique scent that can only be associated with a barbershop of the 60s and 70s. The modern version, though very nice, just doesn't have that quality.

Mennen Skin Bracer (Vintage). Though the Skin Bracer scent has changed very little from vintage to modern, it still screams barbershop.

Florida Water. I'm from the Midwest and this was not a common scent for me, but after having been exposed to it, I cannot associate the scent with another venue but a barbershop.

Oh yeah, Mennen, how could I miss that? BTW, this is supposed to be in Brotherhoods. My bad.

Don't forget to vote.

Pierce

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
My dear friends, as Pierce already stated above, this is a project we have been discussing a lot lately and now after a few minor corrections and adjustments it's finally live! What Pierce and I desire to do here with our new Brotherhood is to share our love and passion for traditional barbershop scents and lotions with all the fine Gentlemen and Ladies of B&B. Anything related to classic aftershaves that are Old School Barbershop can be debated, asked and answered here! Please feel free to register, add BOBS in your signature and have fun!

Fine American Blend for sure!!!!
with Floïd Blue a close second...
they both smell great in their own way... Fine is a little simple compared to Floïd, but still holds its own against Floïd...
But when ever i smell American Blend, i picture a red white and blue pole.

altho pinaud clubman is what i remember going to the barber shop as a kid

Last edited:
My dear friends, as Pierce already stated above, this is a project we have been discussing a lot lately and now after a few minor corrections and adjustments it's finally live! What Pierce and I desire to do here with our new Brotherhood is to share our love and passion for traditional barbershop scents and lotions with all the fine Gentlemen and Ladies of B&B. Anything related to classic aftershaves that are Old School Barbershop can be debated, asked and answered here! Please feel free to register, add BOBS in your signature and have fun!

I do hereby register.

Good list, includes several faves of mine.
Recent fave is Pashana, totally barbershoppy.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 745

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I just ordered a bottle of Fine American because of this research.

I was eagerly awaiting for mine to arrive but it was rejected by the Italian Customs. Now it's shipping back to the sender. Really disappointed, I have the Italian Citrus and love scent, performance and bottle. :sad:

Wow. This was a great idea. I guess I'm more of a barbershop-scent guy than I even realized, because I love quite a few on this list, for different reasons. All of them stimulate my olfactory nerve in a really primal way. Some evoke a sense of nostalgia, like bay rum, Aqua Velva, Barbasol Brisk, and Proraso. Others I've grown to love and look forward to using over the past couple of years, like Tabac (took a bit of time), Rive Gauche, and Floid Vigoroso. The most recent to light my fire--and maybe my favorite of the bunch--is Fine Italian citrus. That one gets me down to my toes. I could wear that every day and be happy. There's something for everyone: citrus, sandalwood, rose.

Sacrilege, I know, but I've never tried Old Spice or any Clubman product. I suspect I'd like some or all of them.

Anyway, I'm in. I'll proudly add BOBS to my signature.

Count me in as well.

For me it has always been a Bay Rum scent. I recall as a child being asked by the barber what scent I wanted and choosing the Bay Rum. I don't recall what brand it was he used. But my first whiff of Clubman VIBR brought back that memory.

I was playing in my AS closet. Today, Clubman Special Reserve does it for me. Powdery, barbershopery goodness. My oh my, looking forward to my haircut at 5th Avenue Barbershop in Manhattan on Wednesday. They always finish with Pinaud Talc. Zowie!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Today for me it was Proraso splash. Here in Italy it's cheap, easy to find, refreshing, fully effective and 100% barbershoppy. What's not to love? :thumbup1:

As a kid, my barber used to put the Pinaud Clubman powder on my neck. When I got into DE shaving, I got a bottle of Pinaud-which I love. My wife on the other hand thinks it reeks.

It was a tie today between Floïd Blue and American Blend today...
im going into a VA hospital so i wet with Floïd Blue (Clubman was in the running for a second). I wore AB yesterday...

Thanks to all you veterans and remember the ones who didn't make it home.

Top Bottom