What's new

BeaverCleaverVille

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
viola
View attachment 451963
Vintage me was born. I adore all things vintage so if you ever have any questions feel free :)

Nice look and congrats on finding an era that appeals to you.

I'm wondering, though, how you feel about your non-period ear and nose piercings? Have you decided to make that your "balance" with the modern?

Hey I'd love to see a few more guys dressed like this
View attachment 452189 View attachment 452190View attachment 452191

I think the biggest challenge to modern men wearing truly vintage clothing is getting used to the high-rise, baggy trousers. It's almost like wearing a skirt, compared to the low-rise, slimmed down versions made today.

Nice look and congrats on finding an era that appeals to you.

I'm wondering, though, how you feel about your non-period ear and nose piercings? Have you decided to make that your "balance" with the modern?

I think the biggest challenge to modern men wearing truly vintage clothing is getting used to the high-rise, baggy trousers. It's almost like wearing a skirt, compared to the low-rise, slimmed down versions made today.

My piercings and tattoos came before my transformation. Much like my multi colored hair they are simply a part of who I am and I keep them. I find most don't even notice them past the clothes. I guess you could say they are my hold to modern times but they just...are...but if my MIC (man in charge) asked me to remove my piercings I would tmrw....he doesn't mind them so I keep them. They just kind of are

Yeah men's vintage fashion is odd, but adjusting to women's is no small task the unmentionables alone take some getting use to. Then constantly being in heels, skirts, belts, hats, gloves. It's just a different feel

Last edited:
I go back and forth on this one. I like the idea of the simpler life of the 40's and 50's, but man do I ever love today's technology, conveniences, and open-mindedness of differing peoples and cultures.
I don't mind having technology (obviously lol) but I like the idea of having "defined" women's roles and men's roles. Yes I'm sure I'm about to get slammed for that one...,so bring it lol:lol:

Last edited:
I don't mind having technology (obviously lol) but I like the idea of have "defined" women's roles and men's roles. Yes I'm sure I'm about to get slammed for that one...,so bring it lol:lol:

I really like celebrating the differences between men and women and support the defined roles. I was more talking about everyone being able to drink from the same water fountain and not have to worry about being denied service for race, creed or color. I think we've lost much in the ways of morality in many different areas of life, but I think there are really great areas that we've come head and shoulders above what life was once like in those black and white photo days.

I don't mind having technology (obviously lol) but I like the idea of having "defined" women's roles and men's roles. Yes I'm sure I'm about to get slammed for that one...,so bring it lol:lol:
I like that nowadays everything at least seems more equal in regards to gender, colour, creed, etc...

I really like celebrating the differences between men and women and support the defined roles. I was more talking about everyone being able to drink from the same water fountain and not have to worry about being denied service for race, creed or color. I think we've lost much in the ways of morality in many different areas of life, but I think there are really great areas that we've come head and shoulders above what life was once like in those black and white photo days.

I like that nowadays everything at least seems more equal in regards to gender, colour, creed, etc...
Oh lord I in NO WAY want to go back to segregation or anything like that!!!!!! I think on so many inequality issues we have made amazing strides, but I think on the home front we have lost something in the area of women being "domestic goddesses,housewives,mothers" and not CEOs, businesswomen or career minded.. Idk I'm odd. I like my man feeling like a "real man" when he comes home to a clean house, cold drink, warm meal, and relaxation, knowing he's appreciated but again...I'm very odd

Oh lord I in NO WAY want to go back to segregation or anything like that!!!!!! I think on so many inequality issues we have made amazing strides, but I think on the home front we have lost something in the area of women being "domestic goddesses,housewives,mothers" and not CEOs, businesswomen or career minded.. Idk I'm odd. I like my man feeling like a "real man" when he comes home to a clean house, cold drink, warm meal, and relaxation, knowing he's appreciated but again...I'm very odd
I know you weren't implying that about segregation.
However I for one am very happy that women are not necessarily expected to be domestic goddesses, but rather are now in charge of their own destiny.

However I for one am very happy that women are not necessarily expected to be domestic goddesses, but rather are now in charge of their own destiny.
Oh I'm glad for choice as well, I guess my point is I'm more....saddened that more don't choose THIS one? Lost art I suppose....or maybe not for most...big really sure

I think the biggest challenge to modern men wearing truly vintage clothing is getting used to the high-rise, baggy trousers. It's almost like wearing a skirt, compared to the low-rise, slimmed down versions made today

have you ever tried a kilt?

oye.... breezy ....BUT..... cool (in so many ways)

I prefer the fashion of the 20s because men's suits were more tailored and the women's clothing more glamorous and sexy. The 40s and 50s style is not attractive, men's suits were baggy and pleated while women started looking like men.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Yeah, the good old days weren't totally good. As to women, my grandmothers and mother were, and my wife is, not women to be trifled with. They were (are) loving, but didn't take guff. Strong women can be a challenge, but they're worth it.

I prefer the fashion of the 20s because men's suits were more tailored and the women's clothing more glamorous and sexy. The 40s and 50s style is not attractive, men's suits were baggy and pleated while women started looking like men.
See....I wear almost NO pants so I'm unsure what parts of the fashio you are referring to

Yeah, the good old days weren't totally good. As to women, my grandmothers and mother were, and my wife is, not women to be trifled with. They were (are) loving, but didn't take guff. Strong women can be a challenge, but they're worth it.
and yes just because I'm feminine and gentile doesn't mean I'm a pile of fluff. I can hoLd my own if I must and I'm a force to be recKoned with! Remember the same era of femininity gave us the era of
$26010796.jpg

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
See....I wear almost NO pants so I'm unsure what parts of the fashio you are referring to

and yes just because I'm feminine and gentile doesn't mean I'm a pile of fluff. I can hoLd my own if I must and I'm a force to be recKoned with! Remember the same era of femininity gave us the era of
View attachment 452301

Yep, both my grandmas worked in factories for the war effort.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Haha I believe you and my fiancé fall under the same category...found his football cutoff jersey from the 80s...
no words
True story: a few years ago a lady I was courting and I were flipping through a photo album of my moms and there was a family picture from several years prior. Like many many years, I was in my teens. I said "hey I think I still have that shirt!" My lady friend goes "yeah, it's the same shirt you're wearing now." *looks down at my shirt* "Ohh yeah! It is!"

I buy clothes maybe once a year and it's just a tshirt or button down that I find on clearance for 90% off.

I would dearly love to dress in clothing from the 30s or early 40s, but a lack of funds makes it difficult to even replace a modern shirt that has worn out. I do try to dress well with a vintage flavor, wearing a good fedora with nice trousers with proper button on braces, a nice shirt, bow tie or day cravat and a sports jacket. I am old enough now (I turn 62 in one month) that many of my every day clothes could almost be considered vintage. I admire people who can dress in totally vintage clothing and wish I had the means to pull off the same. If I ever won the lottery the third thing I would do would be to have a repro 1930s era suit or 2 made especially for me (the first 2 things on my lottery list is a huge donation to my shul and then paying off bills).

I would say my tastes tend toward very classic pieces, I wouldn't say trad but quite Northeast preppy for casual wear, I'm on the eternal quest for the perfect pair of chinos after finding the perfect pair of jeans from Gustin. Dockers K1 from 15 years ago were great, I wish I stockpiled them in hindsight.

Top Bottom