What's new

BeaverCleaverVille

Speedy recovery I hope. I also hope it's not a vintage disease like plague or leprosy or anything that would require the application of leeches. After all there has to be a limit to this fascination for "the good ol' days".

It seems to me that the need a man feels for a woman is self defeating. It is when you don't need her that she will want you. I see this problem in my own relationship; I rely on my woman for validation of my existence and she senses this, a huge turn off. If you can have an emotional relationship without the need for validation I think is the ideal relationship. What do you think? Was this common in the '50s? :bored:

When "I" becomes "we" most of that noise falls away like melting snow. I think the concept of real partnership is less common now than it was in the 50's. It may be due to the fact that marriage is less necessary. Men and women can find work and live on their own, there's no stigma, and economically it can work. The "single income" model that was the norm in the 50's set a framework that was pretty clear, and both parties knew what their role was. Divorce was not easy, so it gave incentive to put your best effort into making a go of it. It's muddier now, you have to create your own shared vision. Once you have that, the need you have for each other is obvious but doesn't feel constraining - quite the opposite, in fact! From my perspective, it all comes down to being comfortable in your own skin and giving support and space to your partner to do the same.
You both have opened a very complicated can of worms. I will attempt to answer in the best way I can. In my own relationship between tyrionstark and I, we each have a place were we rule our domain (his the workplace and mine the home) and we each have agreed upon the duties to which we feel each other would be best suited. We give our all into every part and facet of our relationship because we are in it for the long haul (a value lost on this generation it seems) I call it the 100% rule. If each person in a relationship merely gives 50% then if someone falters then there is never 100% at one time going into the relationship. But if each person gives their full 100% in at all times even when faltering 100% is always going in.
in this day and age when everything is disposable, I guess I'm old fashion in believing marriage isn't.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I call it the 100% rule. If each person in a relationship merely gives 50% then if someone falters then there is never 100% at one time going into the relationship. But if each person gives their full 100% in at all times even when faltering 100% is always going in.

Very wise, young lady... :) That idea of yours, will indeed cover, when one of you falls short. And sooner or later, we all fall short. One can sum it up as :

Two people, working together, to become one.

You both have opened a very complicated can of worms. I will attempt to answer in the best way I can. In my own relationship between tyrionstark and I, we each have a place were we rule our domain (his the workplace and mine the home) and we each have agreed upon the duties to which we feel each other would be best suited. We give our all into every part and facet of our relationship because we are in it for the long haul (a value lost on this generation it seems) I call it the 100% rule. If each person in a relationship merely gives 50% then if someone falters then there is never 100% at one time going into the relationship. But if each person gives their full 100% in at all times even when faltering 100% is always going in.
in this day and age when everything is disposable, I guess I'm old fashion in believing marriage isn't.

There is knowledge and then there is wisdom. Great outlook on relationships.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Technically speaking, if two people are putting in 100%, and one stops, then you still have only 50% going in.

Technically speaking, if two people are putting in 100%, and one stops, then you still have only 50% going in.
Technically, if both are contributing 100%, they are still contributing 50% of the total... but relationships aren't technical and Sweetie's advice is sound.

I must admit calling the LOTH, our host, Sweetie, is difficult for me. Here in Virginia, it is not uncommon for clerks and service staff to call all of their customers, "sweetie, honey, sugar" etc. Nothing like having your burger and fries handed to you with a cheery, "Here you go, sugar!" :eek:

I've gotten used to it after a decade but I still have the urge to object!

I have been thinking about my vocation and address, deciding to combine the two. I will live above my drugstore/soda shop at 123 Main St. And I would hope that it is located across the street from the post office.

Very wise, young lady... :) That idea of yours, will indeed cover, when one of you falls short. And sooner or later, we all fall short. One can sum it up as :

Two people, working together, to become one.

EXTRA, EXTRA, READ ALL ABOUT IT!

:thumbup: BEAVERCLEAVERVILLE BECOMES BnB TOWN! :thumbup:

There is knowledge and then there is wisdom. Great outlook on relationships.

Technically, if both are contributing 100%, they are still contributing 50% of the total... but relationships aren't technical and Sweetie's advice is sound.

I must admit calling the LOTH, our host, Sweetie, is difficult for me. Here in Virginia, it is not uncommon for clerks and service staff to call all of their customers, "sweetie, honey, sugar" etc. Nothing like having your burger and fries handed to you with a cheery, "Here you go, sugar!" :eek:

I've gotten used to it after a decade but I still have the urge to object!

I have been thinking about my vocation and address, deciding to combine the two. I will live above my drugstore/soda shop at 123 Main St. And I would hope that it is located across the street from the post office.
Well my my!! So much to comment on I'm not sure where to start. I'm pleased to see our little town has finally made it on the map!!
As for my relationship advice as everything else YMMV but it has worked for me.
i am also pleased to see our town now has a druggist and a Main Street lol!
- quick health update
regular antibiotics have made me quite ill so my doctor has decided to switch me to IV Antibiotics. I'll be having a PICC line inserted next week sometime. I'm pretty nervous but it will help me because I really haven't been able to each much in awhile.
lot going on over here!
forever stuck in the 50s
SweetieTodd

Be well, Sweetie. Glad to see that you're being proactive in your treatment.

Be patient, be good to yourself. Think of this as a long distance race, rather than a sprint, so pace yourself and go for the finish. :001_smile

Best wishes regarding the PICC/IV antibiotics/getting better! Get well soon.

Be well, Sweetie. Glad to see that you're being proactive in your treatment.

Be patient, be good to yourself. Think of this as a long distance race, rather than a sprint, so pace yourself and go for the finish. :001_smile
Well thank you. I'm impatiently waiting the news to hear everything is a go with my insurance. Today has been pretty rough, I'm extraordinarily sick today! I would like to say on the matter of my advice that I wasn't born this smart. I had a very smart grandma and mom. They passed on some very good wisdom to me that I guess made me..,well me lol.

We're calling in Donna Reed's husband Dr.Alex Stone. He's on the hunt!
Good afternoon from BeaverCleaverVille. It seems I have attempted to take up the art of sewing....and none to well. As I await the date for my picc line placement I thought I would make some covers for it to at least keep it stylish....but alas it is going...less than well lol. Then again not owning an actual machine doesn't exactly work on my favor. Once I am feeling better I plan to take up classes but right now even eating simple meals is a struggle. Breakfast use to be easy but even now that's become a chore. Hopefully my insurance will come through soon :thumbup: On the vintage front due to my weight loss I'm having to come up with creative ways to take in my clothes to hold them up so I feel I may be replacing some pieces soon as they grow far too large for me. Also starting to sort through our last few hauls to decide what stays and what can be sold. We only have a small house and anything we sell can go towards new oddities :w00t:
off to sort
forever stuck in the 50s
sweetietodd

Good afternoon from BeaverCleaverVille. It seems I have attempted to take up the art of sewing....and none to well. ...Then again not owning an actual machine doesn't exactly work on my favor.

I suggest you look into a nice vintage Elna sewing machine
http://needlebar.org/main/elna/

http://silkmothsewing.blogspot.com/2011/09/green-machine-elna-supermatic.html

Seems like this would be right up your alley. Love the green! :001_rolle Loads of them on ebay, some needing a bit of repair, but parts available for the common stuff.

Oh, and you'll need a duct tape dummy! Custom sewing dummy for that perfect fit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1lB456OS9A (OK, traditionally it was done with Brown Paper tape, if you really want to be vintage http://bumblesews.wordpress.com/2014/04/26/a-new-dummy-in-paper-tape/ )

Feel better!

Best of luck Sweetie. You sound like you've got sand in your craw and fire in your eye and that's half, maybe more, of any winning fight. Thoughts and prayers with you.

Top Bottom