What's new

BeaverCleaverVille

I think that what a person wears does make a statement about them.

What statement do you think people get when they realize you only wear clothes from the 40's and 50's?

What do you like about these clothes?

Do you get lots of comments from strangers?

Does your enjoyment of vintage clothing extend to motorcycles and cars?

Do you have any tattoos?
woowziers great questions sir!

well as I said I live my life by the book fascinating womanhood so I'm already marching to a very different drummer. I spend my day as a homemaker and mother, then when my man gets home I make sure he's relaxed, comfortable, at ease, dinner on the table, knows how much he's appreciated ect. slowly that extended to me wearing clothes of the era that thought the same way. Most people find it rather refreshing, some odd but I'll tell you I just got cast in two plays because Of my style and people talk to me more when I'm out running errands because of my style I've noticed.

these clothes make me feel feminine and girly. Hard not to in a full circle skirt. It's hard to not walk with a bounce in your step when you know you look put together and beautiful. I find I smile more, I feel better about myself which extends to everything else in my life. I feel better about me, I hold my head up, I'm smiling, I'm approachable, my nan is happy, I'm happy....that's a win for me!

most of the time the comments come from the War era generation. "Oh you look like my wide when I came home" " I wish more women dressed like you. You remind me of the good ole days. Aren't you a sight for sore eyes. Wish I still knew how to dance" it's sweet and I love it.

god I WISH I had an old car I want a 63 split window cherry red corvette like it's nobody's business but also something older as well.
finally yes I have 5 tattoos and 13 piercings. I love them. All of my tattoos are memorial pieces so I wouldn't change them. They are also not visible under the clothes

Last edited:
Guys checking your local thrifts is the first place to start....sometimes alterations are your friends....and remember reproductions can be made in anything

I do all my clothing shopping at thrift stores......

Don't think I have bought anything "off the rack" in 30 or more years. Never look back :001_smile

I do all my clothing shopping at thrift stores......

Don't think I have bought anything "off the rack" in 30 or more years. Never look back :001_smile
It is IMPOSSIBLE for me to buy off the rack so I feel you....would this thread be great if I did a this us what I wore today photo every day? As I never dress modern anymore....

It is IMPOSSIBLE for me to buy off the rack so I feel you....would this thread be great if I did a this us what I wore today photo every day? As I never dress modern anymore....

My everyday is basically T-shirt and Levis (some with the legs cut off to fit). Most T's are printed with who knows what as they are thrift store (and dumpster) finds.

I recall dumpster diving outside of a thrift in Grand Rapids MI and there was a lady there before we arrived. I asked if it would be OK if I boosted her young son into the dumpster to "help"... Thought she might be offended but her answer was "why didn't I think of that?!?!?! Get in there and start DIGGING son".... He unearthed some pretty nice scores that the thrift had deemed "unsaleable"

As you have probably gathered, I don't go outside in public much :nonod: When I do, I will dress a "tad bit" nicer, depending on where I am going and who I might run into while I am out and about.

Vintage can refer not just to the era of the 40s or 50s but any older era, for example the 19th century. Do you have / wear any clothes of that era? And if so, where do you get them?

My everyday is basically T-shirt and Levis (some with the legs cut off to fit). Most T's are printed with who knows what as they are thrift store (and dumpster) finds.

I recall dumpster diving outside of a thrift in Grand Rapids MI and there was a lady there before we arrived. I asked if it would be OK if I boosted her young son into the dumpster to "help"... Thought she might be offended but her answer was "why didn't I think of that?!?!?! Get in there and start DIGGING son".... He unearthed some pretty nice scores that the thrift had deemed "unsaleable"

As you have probably gathered, I don't go outside in public much :nonod: When I do, I will dress a "tad bit" nicer, depending on where I am going and who I might run into while I am out and about.
You are fine!!! And I don't honestly get out much either. That's why my fashion is truly important to me...it makes ME feel good

Hey I'd love to see a few more guys dressed like this
View attachment 452189 . View attachment 452191

The hat part is easy as I never leave the house without a hat of some sort. Lately it has been warm so I have been digging into my woven hat collection.

These are the hats I had made for my by a factory in Equator before they got packed and sent (just the white and undied ones on the two top rows not the colorful ones below)

proxy.php

Vintage can refer not just to the era of the 40s or 50s but any older era, for example the 19th century. Do you have / wear any clothes of that era? And if so, where do you get them?
Finding anything of those early eras is both expensive and time consuming....also not really my milieu. :huh: I've never understood all that layering.....it's crazy :lol: But all these images...to me is the essence of romance! The height of when women were women, men were gents and life was simple

Attachments

• $1940s-wwii-couples.jpg
    $1940s-wwii-couples.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 497
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 496
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 496
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 496
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 495
I'd enjoy exploring vintage clothes. I'm afraid it would be hard to find much to fit a 6'02" 265 pound weightlifter.
Same boat here. Your best bets are short sleeved shirts and slacks--I can usually find something at a thrift or consignment store if I look hard enough. eBay is another great resource.

Hey I'd love to see a few more guys dressed like this
View attachment 452189 View attachment 452190View attachment 452191[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Good call! I actually find suits (or slacks and a button-down) to be far more comfortable than a pair of jeans. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]I think the practice of dressing vintage is FANTASTIC! Fifty years ago, people did not replace their wardrobe every season with a new set of disposable clothes, but tended to buy items that would last. If you are careful, a good quality shirt or blouse can last a long time. [/FONT]

Last edited:
Same boat here. Your best bets are short sleeved shirts and slacks--I can usually find something at a thrift or consignment store if I look hard enough. eBay is another great resource.
I always say you cant go wrong with this if you all are going to a big band event or dance hall night
$2-world-war-ii-us-soldiers-dancing-everett.jpg

Ohhhhh you were serious?! Lol while I am a domestic goddess in many areas.......sewing is not one of them

Don't sell yourself short.

To be fair, sewing a dress can be a bit complicated--skirts and blouses are the item to start with.

I sewed my first shirt from a pattern when I was 15, using some scrap fabric my mom had laying around. I had watched my mom sew clothes for my sisters, so figured I could do it too. She offered some pointers, but I figured it out as I went. My sisters all learned to sew by the time they were 12.

I may start sewing my own sportshirts again, as I have a tough time finding what I want.

Don't sell yourself short.

To be fair, sewing a dress can be a bit complicated--skirts and blouses are the item to start with.

I sewed my first shirt from a pattern when I was 15, using some scrap fabric my mom had laying around. I had watched my mom sew clothes for my sisters, so figured I could do it too. She offered some pointers, but I figured it out as I went. My sisters all learned to sew by the time they were 12.

I may start sewing my own sportshirts again, as I have a tough time finding what I want.
Yeah I'm telling you I can sew a button, I can hem....that's it....I've tried.

I really like the vintage look. How long does it take to get your hair like that, with those big curls?

I'm also interested if the Man in charge dresses to match?

I really like the vintage look. How long does it take to get your hair like that, with those big curls?

He (as many of the gents in this thread have mentioned) has trouble finding pieces but is working on it. My hair is typically done in what is referred to as Victory rolls as they would form a V on the head for Victory in war. They take about twenty minutes once mastered.

Hey Rockminer...kinda difficult to match her style in true vintage fashion. I wear a suit and tie every day for work and I am single-handedly trying to get 3-button suits to make a comeback. I only have one double-breasted. I tend more towards vintage bowling/rockabilly and hawaiian shirts when I can find them.

On the other hand I DO have a decent collection of vintage watches that I wear all the time....

Hey Rockminer...kinda difficult to match her style in true vintage fashion. I wear a suit and tie every day for work and I am single-handedly trying to get 3-button suits to make a comeback. I only have one double-breasted. I tend more towards vintage bowling/rockabilly and hawaiian shirts when I can find them.

On the other hand I DO have a decent collection of vintage watches that I wear all the time....
I'm sure he (as tyrionstark is the MIC here in my 50s household) can explain my style, why he likes it, what it does...etc as well

This is just my opinion, but I can see why he digs it. I haven't seen anything other that the pic you posted here, but it's obvious that you enjoy the whole vintage concept. You take pride in looking good, and it shows, from the multitude of comments you receive when your in public, to the compliments your STBH undoubtedly gives you.

It's a different but cool look that most don't see all the time. Most women would just throw on some Juicy sweat pants, an Abercrombie t-shirt, some flip flops and head out to run errands.

Top Bottom