What's new

GEMini is nigh!

Here's a 1900 Superior Razor LC. It Shaves well when paired with the right blade. I'm not a cased razor collector, so when I picked this one up for my "user grade" collection it had no case, or stropping handle. The only thing I don't like about it is that the handle is hollow, and very light. I would like to find a handle off a GEM Jr, or Damaskeene to swap with it some time.
$IMG_0771.jpg$IMG_0772.jpg$IMG_0773.jpg$IMG_0774.jpg

Here's a 1900 Superior Razor LC. It Shaves well when paired with the right blade. I'm not a cased razor collector, so when I picked this one up for my "user grade" collection it had no case, or stropping handle. The only thing I don't like about it is that the handle is hollow, and very light. I would like to find a handle off a GEM Jr, or Damaskeene to swap with it some time.

That's the problem I have with my Star 1902 (the steel hollow handle with the stars pattern). The handle is too light making the razor head heavy. When I got the Star 1902 long wooden handle version it was perfect, I now prefer it over the hollow handle version many times over.

I think that Star head is the same as mine (yours shinier!) But that wooden handle just kicks it up a notch.

I have to stress that the balance on the long wooden handle version is far better then it's hollow handle cousin. I would trade the hollow handle version but never the one on the picture.

Some really neat old lather catchers on display here. :thumbup1:

I went back to my trusty GEM Damaskeene today after Kampfe Bros. shaves the previous two days. For me, the Damaskeene still delivers the easiest close shave of all the Single Edge razors.
$SOTDJune6.jpg

Last edited:
Today's turn was the Gem Clog-pruf, this is one of my least favorite SE razors. For some reason I always get an uncomfortable shave with the cloggy. Still, the Clog-pruf does a good close job.

$ddgv0y.jpg

I feel the same way about the CP. and for that matter, the OCMM.

The only Micromatic I like, even though it is not terribly efficient is my Flying Wing, which by sheer coincidence I used this morning in homage to a missed SE Sunday.

Speaking of the Flying Wing, today was this mild razor's turn (mild for me at least). My Bullet Tip is the "blind eye" version as I like to call it because it does not have the gimmicky eye. I love the weight and design of this Micromatic for me it shaves slightly smoother then the G-bar.

$Gem BulletTip 6.jpg

New to the forum and especially new to SE shaving (have never used one, but RAD kicked in and I decided what the heck, the price was right and I should expand my horizons). I received an MMOC today, picked up some blades at CVS and will give it a whirl tomorrow. This will either be a revelation or a "What was I thinking?" moment. Kinda looking forward to trying this out. Depending on how it goes, this could be my only Gem or the start of another RAD frenzy.

Before Gemini is over today was the hollow handle Star 1902. Unfortunately, one of the blade stops is too short it barely holds the blade in place.

$Star Razor 3.jpg

Were you using a modern SE blade, or have you gotten the wedge blade into shaving condition?

Hello AJ, I use a modern SE blade only. I stored the wedge blade away since I have never stropped any razor blade. I did notice something though, if I tilt the modern SE blade with the sharp edge pressed down and the spine a bit up (imitating a wedge blade) it fits deeper down into the smaller blade stop.

Using this method particular method the small blade stop holds the SE blade much better (far more securely). What I do notice is that installing a modern SE blade this way gives the razor barely any blade gap.

As GEMini draws to a close, I shaved with a "new" Damaskeene that I just bought from an online auction site. Both this one and my "old" Damaskeene have a more or less flat cap, although I could swear there's the tiniest curve in my "old" one. The "new" one is noticeably milder and gentler than the "old" one, but that didn't prevent it from giving me a very close and comfortable shave.

A closer inspection of the "old" one reveals the difference: over time the area around the blade stops has become worn and a "footprint" of the blade has been left in the metal. This allows the blade to sit further forward and be more exposed.

Originally I wanted a razor that shaved like my "old" one but was "purdier". But now I have two razors that are distinct from each other and enjoyable in their own ways.:001_smile

I pulled out the ER 1924 this morning with a fresh GEM PTFE coated SS blade.

With the wonderful RR XXX and SOC boar, made for a spectacular shave.
One of those shaves that make you question whether you really need DEs, Micromatics, injectors, straights or Feather Artist Clubs.
Well, maybe not that far, but dang it was close. :)

For today it was the more modern contemporary designed Gem Push-Button. This razor is incredibly mild it performs similarly to my late injector models. I paired the Push-Button with a Treet blade (smooth as butter) and it performed flawlessly.

$2hs0j9h.jpg

Finished up with an exquisite 2 pass shave with the ER 1914.
Mowed through 3 days growth with ease, assisted by Speick and a Vie Long horse..
Happy end of GEMini y'all.

Top Bottom