What's new

GEMini is nigh!

Your horoscope for today reveals:
You will encounter many great shaves by honoring the age old tradition of using GEM razors for the next 4 weeks.
It would be tempting Fate himself to stray from GEMs, Ever Readys, Stars, Kampfes and others in the GEM/ASR umbrella.

So until June 21, let's showcase those 1912 variations, the '14, the '24 and the Heavy flat Top, the Micromatics, the pushbuttons, featherweights and ye olde lather catchers.

It's written in the stars.....

EBay Winner Set with Damaskeene

$Damaskeene.jpg

Great post buddy! There is nothing I like more then posting and watching pics. I have a lot of pictures but I will just start with my Gem Junior Bar.

$GemJrBar 001.jpg
$GemJuniorBar 01.jpg

Started last night with a long forgotten Gbar and fresh ptfe stainless GEM blade.

My it's smooth.

The Boots shave stick provided a good lather, but left my skin lit up like a baboon's behind. At least I'm blaming the lather, not my otherwise perfect technique :p

Need to get me one of these!^^^^^^^^

Me too.....

They are out there if you are lucky you can find them for a decent price. I was not lucky all of the set fetched a not so decent price.

For today, it's back to what I define as the pinnacle of SE razors and that's the 1912. This time around I broke out my NOS Gem Junior 1912. I paired it with my favorite Gem Blue Star blade that (for me) is sharp and smooth but doesn't last too many shaves. True to it's reputation the 1912 is a good all around shaver it's not too aggressive nor too mild it's just right.

$Gem Jr The Parade 6.jpg
$Gem Jr The Parade 7.jpg

So tonight's offering is a simple standard GEM 1912.
$IMG_0740.jpg

I don't have one of those fancy Damaskeene's yet, but I do have the blades.

$IMG_0738.jpg

Surprisingly it was a great shave!

You shaved with the Damaskeene blade?

Yes..

I hand stropped a minty one and gave it a test spin for the team.

They are fairly thick, and have a pretty heavy feel to them, not like blades of today.

The feedback was amazingly loud, and I only went WTG, and XTG.

The shave resulted in a DFS, and I would have to say for a vintage shave, it was the best shave, with the oldest blade that I have yet tried to date.

G bar, GEM PTFE SS (2), CO Bigelow, B&B boar

Smoother, but nicked myself on neck. Odd, haven't done that recently.

Had my inaugural GEMini shave this morning: GEM OCMM, fresh Treet blade, Valobra Unscented puck, Muhle 23mm STF. The Muhle arrived yesterday so it's still a little stiff and springy. As a result I had a more difficult time incorporating water into the lather as I worked it on my face. The lather was pretty good but maybe just a touch dry. The blade drug a bit here and there and I've got just a touch of irritation on the right side of my neck (my usual problem area).

This was also my first time using a Treet blade. It's quite nice!:thumbup1: They're just as smooth and sharp as my favorite PAL Supers. I'm glad that I scored these when Amazon had 120 of them for <$10.

They are out there if you are lucky you can find them for a decent price. I was not lucky all of the set fetched a not so decent price.

For today, it's back to what I define as the pinnacle of SE razors and that's the 1912. This time around I broke out my NOS Gem Junior 1912. I paired it with my favorite Gem Blue Star blade that (for me) is sharp and smooth but doesn't last too many shaves. True to it's reputation the 1912 is a good all around shaver it's not too aggressive nor too mild it's just right.

View attachment 452017
View attachment 452018

I have to wonder if maybe those complete sets attract the attention of non-shaving collectors, i.e. people with money to burn. I experience a similar frustration with vintage guitars and people who buy them because the instruments are "cool", not because they need a great instrument to practice their craft.

The gold GEM looks sharp!

Tonight. submitted for your approval... The 1950's GEM Push-Button..

$IMG_0744.jpg
A nice, pleasant shave from this minty mild shaver. The blade for tonight was a fresh Dorco DN-52.

Vintage Ad from the late 1950's..

$IMG_0741.JPG

Today was a super easy breezy shave with the Gem Feather Weight. I am one of the few who likes modern Williams, I made some good thick lather with my Semogue 1305. The Feather Weight feels and performs (IMO) like a mild late model injector. This light SE makes ATG a breeze especially on the upper lip it's almost like cheating. A soothing easy relaxing shave for today.

$Gem FetWei 1.jpg
$GemFethWeig 2.jpg

Top Bottom