What's new

from synthetic to badger brush

Hello Gents (and ladies),

Until recently ive been using the body shop synthetic brush (on soaps) and loving every second. I saw in a big-w (for USA, think a smaller wallmart) a comoy best badger brush for $14aud, so i picked it up, interested to try badger (although knowing full well it was the cheapest one I was going to find).

When I tried to use it on my C&E Sienna soap the other day it worked fine, built mountains of lather perfectly, but when time came to move from mug to face everything went haywire! It was like i was brushing the knot directly onto my face, the hairs went all ourwards and pushed the lather out and onto the outter hairs and handle, leaving me with a latherfree face where the brush went over.

Long story short, is there a different technique for using natural hairs over synthetic, or is it just because this brush is rubbish?

I had to resort to that, but with my bodyshop synthetic even though I ended the facelather with a painting to even it out I could lather across my face without wiping the lather off as I did so.

Hello Gents (and ladies),

Until recently ive been using the body shop synthetic brush (on soaps) and loving every second. I saw in a big-w (for USA, think a smaller wallmart) a comoy best badger brush for $14aud, so i picked it up, interested to try badger (although knowing full well it was the cheapest one I was going to find).

When I tried to use it on my C&E Sienna soap the other day it worked fine, built mountains of lather perfectly, but when time came to move from mug to face everything went haywire! It was like i was brushing the knot directly onto my face, the hairs went all ourwards and pushed the lather out and onto the outter hairs and handle, leaving me with a latherfree face where the brush went over.

Long story short, is there a different technique for using natural hairs over synthetic, or is it just because this brush is rubbish?

You get what you pay for-- IMHO, this seems like a very VERY reasonable price for a badger brush....I'm thinking probably some collie is running around without a tail in some 3rd world country as a result of your purchase. It is not typical of a decent badger brush. For twice the money, you can have a very serviceable C&E badger that will perform nicely!

I was always taught "If it seems too good to be true - it probably is" and im pretty sure this is the case. I know its a cheapie, and it was a complete impulse buy. Problem with living downunder is that I have to factor both shipping and customs (which are very strict) into buying anything. Im not confident in importing anything as I dont want a $100 brush confiscated, and that same brush in a store here will be $800... ok, thats a little over the top, but you get my meaning.

Ill probably get a medium range badger in the next few weeks. That in mind, is the bodyshop synthtic more indicative a decent badger brush than my actual badger?

The Body Shop brush is fine for what it is, but it's in no way acts like a halfway decent badger brush. I think you may be finding the badger to be really floppy is the extreme stiffness of the body shop brush. I have a Tweezerman badger brush that can be had for $10usd and it's a moderately good brush. For $10 it's exceptional.

When I got into this, I was of the opinion that any brush was just as good as the next. They all make lather, right? Do yourself a favor and get a C&E BBB or better. It does make a difference, and you will save yourself the money you are likely to spend on several cheaper offerings.

I think you'll find a good brush will dramatically change the way you feel about brushes.

Sounds like the brush's knot is not densely packed. Until you get a better brush, try holding the brush in the palm of your hand with your fingers and thumb cupped around the bristles to keep them from splaying outward.

-Clarke

"Cartridge shaving...so easy, a caveman can do it."
"DE shaving...a skill to be learned."

Top Bottom